Sponsored

Jeeper Defector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Jeep JT Gladiator
Update: confirmed - you can remove the air dam by simply unbolting 9 bolts

The front air dam is pretty big on every trim below Trailhunter. Think it'll be easy to remove the air dam? The downside I guess would be how big of a hit this would be on aerodynamics and MPG fuel efficiency numbers... 🤔

Here it is on the TRD Sport

2024 Tacoma Air dam is easy to remove. Removing affects MPG fuel efficiency / aerodynamics how much? remove air dam 2024 tacoma removing removal removin

And here it is removed:

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
The front air dam is pretty big on every trim below Trailhunter. Think it'll be easy to remove the air dam? The downside I guess would be how big of a hit this would be on aerodynamics and MPG fuel efficiency numbers... 🤔
Most seem to mention that it is easily removed by 9 bolts. My question is like yours how much real world difference will it make

BigDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma PreRunner (future)
Most seem to mention that it is easily removed by 9 bolts. My question is like yours how much real world difference will it make
Yep air dam removable by just unfastening 9 bolts. Here it is with air dam removed

Rocky

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma (hopefully)
This is a great question. Some Tacoma owners report very little change in fuel efficiency on previous versions, but we haven't had a Tacoma with the powertrains offered in the 2024 model until now. This article from The Drive offers an option. You could remove it when heading out on the trails and put it back on after. This might give you the best solution.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/why-t...y, the air dam redirects,the field if need be.

JimS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 ID.4, 15 Sienna
Was wondering same. It is comically huge - like a mini snow plow. Even if not off road I could see it getting caught on curbs when parking.

ToyTrucker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Another confirmation that it just takes unbolting 9 bolts to remove the air dam 👍

TacoFly

First Name
PC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Crosstrek, 21 Bronco FE, 07 TRD Taco (Sold)
That air dam should be called "The EPA spec sheet enhancement device"! 😆

Thats got to worth a good 2-3 mpg enhancement on the final EPA official milage per gallon #'s. In fact I'd bet without it the new milage ratings won't be good for more than 1 to 3 MPG from the current truck(depending on trim).🤷‍♂️ Will be interesting to see.

MPGunther

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma Sport
The difference in removing the dam on my 3rd Gen was only a negligible difference in milage.

LuckyMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Ford Lightning
From what I've read on other vehicles they help at highway speeds but detract at city speeds.
Maybe gain 1 mpg city and lose 2+ at highway speeds.

Cavemold

First Name
Cavemold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Yep air dam removable by just unfastening 9 bolts. Here it is with air dam removed

looks much better i dont think mpg differnce will be much but i am curious to see real testing done

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
The air dams do a couple other things beside aero/drag coefficients, those ports on it channel air into the front calipers. They also help reduce are uplift under the vehicle (improved vehicle stability)
Sponsored