JenningsESQ

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD OR Premium
Anyone know the specs of the onboard air compressor in the 6th gen Trailhunter 4Runner? Is it an ARB Air Compressor? The Tacoma Trailhunter has lots of ARB parts on it already, so would actually be surprised if this wasn't ARB Air.

This is the best pic I've seen of it (from Motortrend) and we can at least see its function buttons:

2025 Toyota 4runner Onboard Air Compressor in Trailhunter 4Runner -- Specs? ARB Air Compressor? 6th gen onboard air compressor 2025 4runner 6th gen

Functions:
Power, Preset, Menu, Start / Stop, Up / Down

There's also an NPT air compressor hose hookup, 12V DC power outlet, USB-C port.

I think the onboard air compressor will be one of the most desired retrofits installs (on the other trims). Question is how much it'll cost and what work will be involved. It'll be interesting to see exactly where they placed the compressor unit, which will determine how much work and money is involved to install it.

Last edited:

Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 FJ
Love this. This is one of the biggest draws of the Trailhunter 4runner trim IMO.

Is it an ARB Air Compressor? The Tacoma Trailhunter has lots of ARB parts on it already, so would actually be surprised if this wasn't ARB Air.
If it was ARB, they probably would have mentioned it in the marketing and press release tho? It would have brought even more attention and cachet to the onboard air compressor.

Gastan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Pro
If it's ARB, let's hope it's the ARB twin motor compressor with full duty cycle and not the single

andim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
I'm a bit conflicted on that one. It's neat and tidy to have it built in. However, if it breaks then you need to go to the dealership to get it fixed under warranty.

I actually prefer to have a separate compressor that I only bring if necessary. No need to drive around a compressor for weeks on a daily commute just to have it on the occasional weekend where you can go wheeling. They are relatively cheap and easy to replace.

Also, for the built in compressor you need to always have the long hoses in the car. A separate compressor can be carried from tire to tire.

I assumed most people in the market for an off road focussed truck already own air compressors and would not want to pay for a built in option. Often these car manufacturers options are twice as expensive as similar aftermarket gadgets.

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
Most name brand stuff has their logo on it. I don't see any brand markings on this, but then again, it's pre-production so that's subject to change. Maybe it's a Viair, so it's not labeled as to not interfere with the ARB collab.
A compressor is one of those things that I never leave home without. I've been carrying a portable one under my back seat, for years now. This is a handy item to have, but at the same time, if the price is over-"inflated", then there's no way I'm going to finance an option like this, when I've already got one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JenningsESQ

JenningsESQ

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD OR Premium
Most name brand stuff has their logo on it. I don't see any brand markings on this, but then again, it's pre-production so that's subject to change.

Maybe it's a Viair, so it's not labeled as to not interfere with the ARB collab.
A compressor is one of those things that I never leave home without. I've been carrying a portable one under my back seat, for years now. This is a handy item to have, but at the same time, if the price is over-"inflated", then there's no way I'm going to finance an option like this, when I've already got one.
Good point about the lack of any ARB logo. And I'm with you on never leaving home without an air compressor. If this Trailhunter onboard compressor turns out to be well specced and reliable, it'll go far in helping sell the Trailhunter model IMO

TEAMSLO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco WT / JLURD
I'm a bit conflicted on that one. It's neat and tidy to have it built in. However, if it breaks then you need to go to the dealership to get it fixed under warranty.

I actually prefer to have a separate compressor that I only bring if necessary. No need to drive around a compressor for weeks on a daily commute just to have it on the occasional weekend where you can go wheeling. They are relatively cheap and easy to replace.

Also, for the built in compressor you need to always have the long hoses in the car. A separate compressor can be carried from tire to tire.

I assumed most people in the market for an off road focussed truck already own air compressors and would not want to pay for a built in option. Often these car manufacturers options are twice as expensive as similar aftermarket gadgets.
we are talking about the trailhunter trim here..... There are those of us that have more focused rigs for the dirt that require not just being an onboard but 100% duty cycle as well. Specifically for myself, have a couple of rigs where the onboard is built into a cargo area out of the way, all that is needed to be done is opening the rear gate and hooking up a 4 hose system and let it do its thing.

Other times we have to air up others when their systems take a dump or a newbie needs to air up. No opening of a hood, no carrying around a hot compressor down in the dirt tire to tire especially at the end of a long exhausting day.

And then there are air lockers n other uses.

I'm assuming this will be a single which may or may not do much good with my plans. However, if it does come as a twin, that would be a bonus for sure.

Last edited: