Sponsored

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
Saw this article and basically this is what the dealership I spoke to said basically. If it happens to be being built at the time then you can get it, if not you either have to choose one that is close or wait and hopefully get your exact match

https://jalopnik.com/actually-getting-that-all-new-tacoma-with-a-manual-is-n-1850456148

To explain this properly it’s best to compare the order system for a brand like Jeep versus Toyota. If, for example, you wanted a manual Gladiator Willy’s trim, you would configure your Jeep to your liking and submit the build to any Jeep dealer. The dealer, will then send that request to the factory and typically your built-to-order Gladitaor will arrive in a few months.

Toyota’s system on the other hand isn’t so straightforward. As an automaker, Toyota prides itself on manufacturing vehicles efficiently, and custom orders reduce that efficiency. Over the years I’ve spoken with several Toyota dealers and even reps from Toyota corporate about their “order” process and I’ve gotten inconsistent responses. What I have pieced together is an allocation process that works something like this.

The Toyota factory will periodically release an allocation batch to a dealership. In the case of the Tacoma, the factory will tell the dealer - “You will get 12 Tacomas.” If a dealer has a customer that wants a specific Tacoma they will tell the factory they want a certain build, and here is where it gets interesting, if that build happens to be in the scheduled production run for that round, often the dealer will usually get the order. But, if someone were to ask for a Tacoma TRD Off-Road Double-Cab w/5ft Bed 4x4 manual in Luna Rock, and that combination is not on the schedule, the customer is out of luck until the next round of allocations gets released, and maybe the perfect truck will be in that batch. If not, they have to keep waiting until their configuration just happens to get on the schedule.

Essentially if you want a truck from Ford, Ram, Jeep, or GM the dealer tells the factory “Make us one of these like this” and as long as the allocation slot is available that request is usually granted. Whereas a Toyota dealer will say to the factory “I’d like a truck like this please” and the factory response is along the lines of “Yeah
we will see about that.”

Where things get even more difficult is that Toyota will schedule the configurations that are the most popular based on previous sales data, so if not a lot of people bought the manual truck in the past few years, the factory isn’t going to make a ton of manual trucks. Of course, this can create the cycle of Toyota not making things because people aren’t buying them, and people aren’t buying them because Toyota doesn’t make that many.
Sponsored

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Thanks for the explanation! I’m used to the ‘American’ ordering process having done it a couple of times now. I suppose it’s a holdover from the days when you had more interior color choices available than what you can get for paint colors nowadays. Toyota’s does make some sense for efficiency, but hopefully they’d be taking orders together & making what’s in demand too. So if the new model entices enthusiasts first who want >17% take rate for the manual, they’d make more of them.

RGk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
trucks
Unfortunately this is exactly how Toyota's 'ordering' works.

They build the configurations they want based on a number of factors including take rate, demand, parts/constraints. Toyota USA sells the built vehicles to regional distributors where they install their packages and it gets sold to their local dealerships who sell the trucks as soon as it gets a VIN from Toyota/arrives from the transport truck. All the sales people do is call the customer to know their truck is here and then try to charge some dealer added accessories.

It's not enthusiast geared but it sure sells them a lot of vehicles without all the fuss that you see with Ford and other mfgs. Unfortunately if you're not the average Joe and want a specific build it leaves you with tough choices.

Reactions: MJE

TacoTony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna
"The Toyota factory will periodically release an allocation batch to a dealership. In the case of the Tacoma, the factory will tell the dealer - “You will get 12 Tacomas.” If a dealer has a customer that wants a specific Tacoma they will tell the factory they want a certain build, and here is where it gets interesting, if that build happens to be in the scheduled production run for that round, often the dealer will usually get the order."

Once allocations are given to dealerships, are they first come first serve? To elaborate, if dealership A has an upstanding customer such as myself who wants a TRD Pro in Bronze Oxide with Grey interior and dealership B has a customer who wants to be like me, does it come down to which dealership places the request/order to the distributor first? This is assuming they only plan to make one in that color/model combination. Or is there much more involved in the process?

SupaSupra

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Supra
Toyota is building whatever they are going to build regardless of allocation requests. Individual dealers are allowed to submit allocation requests once every two weeks and Toyota will distribute vehicles as they see fit with an effort to satisfy as many requests as possible.

If there is an unallocated vehicle early enough in the pipeline with the correct factory options package (port options don't matter in the process) they may change the color of the vehicle to match the request depending on if the paint is available (special colors only get painted at certain times during production). Also worth noting that if Toyota allocates Tacomas to your dealer each month, that allocation request doesn't make it n+1.

The other method of getting you your requested vehicle is trades between dealerships, which happen all the time, but are harder to pull off on hotter models like the 24 Tacoma is sure to be. Last thing is that to the best of my knowledge the process works a little differently in Gulf States and Southeast regions because they are privately run Toyota distribution networks that predate Toyota's official entry into the US market.

Cavemold

First Name
Cavemold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Essentially if you want a truck from Ford, Ram, Jeep, or GM the dealer tells the factory “Make us one of these like this” and as long as the allocation slot is available that request is usually granted. Whereas a Toyota dealer will say to the factory “I’d like a truck like this please” and the factory response is along the lines of “Yeah
we will see about that.”

I'm not fan of this all. Lucky for Toyota Tacoma's are dime dozen. Also this open up to paying a mark up does it not? Not fan of that either. If someone wants a pro but they can get certain package i could see them walking away all together.

Cavemold

First Name
Cavemold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately this is exactly how Toyota's 'ordering' works.

They build the configurations they want based on a number of factors including take rate, demand, parts/constraints. Toyota USA sells the built vehicles to regional distributors where they install their packages and it gets sold to their local dealerships who sell the trucks as soon as it gets a VIN from Toyota/arrives from the transport truck. All the sales people do is call the customer to know their truck is here and then try to charge some dealer added accessories.

It's not enthusiast geared but it sure sells them a lot of vehicles without all the fuss that you see with Ford and other mfgs. Unfortunately if you're not the average Joe and want a specific build it leaves you with tough choices.
i think lot people look at custom order how can i keep the price down and keep what i want. Maybe i want the smaller screen if it reduces the price etc etc.

Cavemold

First Name
Cavemold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the explanation! I’m used to the ‘American’ ordering process having done it a couple of times now. I suppose it’s a holdover from the days when you had more interior color choices available than what you can get for paint colors nowadays. Toyota’s does make some sense for efficiency, but hopefully they’d be taking orders together & making what’s in demand too. So if the new model entices enthusiasts first who want >17% take rate for the manual, they’d make more of them.
i guarantee the trd sport manual will be like 10%. The reality is most people dont want one or dont know how .

Reactions: MJE

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 SuperCrew
Anyone know when an online configurator might show up? Without knowing the prices of any particular trim, configuration and option prices there’s a whole bunch of endless guessing. I’m surprised how many people are talking about ordering and ADM without knowing baseline prices?

Last edited:
OP
OP

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
Anyone know when an online configurator might show up? Without knowing the prices of any particular trim, configuration and option prices there’s a whole bunch of endless guessing. I’m surprised how many people are talking about ordering and ADM without knowing baseline prices?
I agree. I am kind of waiting for the configurator and pricing before I decide to put a deposit down. My guess (this is exactly what you are talking about :LOL: ) is on paper the SR, SR5 are not going to be about 750-1000 more than current starting. Current starting is $28,250, my guess is $29,100. I think this because they seem to have done so much on lower trims to keep it down.... the springs vs coils, no more rear doors, etc and that way it doesn't seem like a big price increase from people who are just going to see 'oh it starts at'. The higher trims will obviously see the most difference.

As far as the configurator, based on the Grand Highlander and when it rolled out, my guess is around September

Last edited:

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I’m surprised how many people are talking about ordering and ADM without knowing baseline prices?
More money than brains, speaking from experience. The down deposit gives me the much needed willpower to slam several months of overtime. The way I look at it, I'm either going to slightly overpay for one of the only trucks in years to peak my interest, probably being the last of its kind to have a 6speed or I'll walk away, loose my $1000 down deposit and have 40k of OT money in the bank to put towards another vehicle of choice.

Win win in my situation, surely the same for many others who are putting in on the waitlist.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Im expecting the same deal for Canadians? The dealer only asked me color and trim, but I'm not taking a truck without it having the upgrade package if offered. Makes me a little nervous

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 SuperCrew
More money than brains, speaking from experience. The down deposit gives me the much needed willpower to slam several months of overtime. The way I look at it, I'm either going to slightly overpay for one of the only trucks in years to peak my interest, probably being the last of its kind to have a 6speed or I'll walk away, loose my $1000 down deposit and have 40k of OT money in the bank to put towards another vehicle of choice.

Win win in my situation, surely the same for many others who are putting in on the waitlist.
Nice! If you don’t mind me asking what career can you “slam several months of OT” and make 40k? The first 20 years of my working career I worked as much OT as possible and never made more than half that in a year of working OT. I’m 52 with 32 years in a service engineering group (steam turbines) working as a designer/draftsman and I’m so ready to quit and do something different!

Last edited:

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I work in the oil and gas industry. 12h shifts, 7 days of 7 days off. So the 7 days off really helps when you want to build up some OT hours. I'm not making near as much as some folks out here, some people out here make stupid money 😂
Sponsored