• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Windshield Sparkles In Sun - Weird Coating

Imec17

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Hey everyone,

I bought a 2024 Ranger XLT last weekend, and have been noticing the windshield sparkles when the sun hits it at a specific angle. It looks like there is a fine mist all over it.

Ive cleaned the inside and outside of the windshield, and its not coming out. It looks to be a coating of some kind.

Attached is a video of what it looks like:

Anyone else experience this?

Roadster_Randy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT, HPR
I wonder if its some sort of chemical etching, from sitting in the lot waiting to be delivered.....

jrRaptor

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 RRaptor, 93 cobra, 11 CTS-V, 15 GSX-R1000
Occupation
Engineer
Overspray? You get a spray in bedliner? Or paint repair at some point?

Sponsored

HCSHARPCO

First Name
DEAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER
Occupation
SALES
Hey everyone,

I bought a 2024 Ranger XLT last weekend, and have been noticing the windshield sparkles when the sun hits it at a specific angle. It looks like there is a fine mist all over it.

Ive cleaned the inside and outside of the windshield, and its not coming out. It looks to be a coating of some kind.

Attached is a video of what it looks like:

Anyone else experience this?

If you are going through an automatic car wash that applies a ceramic coat chemical, it will cause the same problem. A buddy of mine takes his truck to a local Club Carwash and it causes the same problem.

OP
OP

Imec17

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
If you are going through an automatic car wash that applies a ceramic coat chemical, it will cause the same problem. A buddy of mine takes his truck to a local Club Carwash and it causes the same problem.
That could very well be what happened. I went through an automatic car wash a few days after I got the car. I’m assuming that if that is what it actually is, it would wear off over time?

HCSHARPCO

First Name
DEAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER
Occupation
SALES
That could very well be what happened. I went through an automatic car wash a few days after I got the car. I’m assuming that if that is what it actually is, it would wear off over time?
I think my buddy is going to try some acetone or paint thinner.

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A good reminder that automatic car washes are the last thing you should be using if you care about your vehicle and want it to remain looking good for a long time.

Extremely harsh chemicals that dull paint and ruin windshields, brushes that hold dirt from other cars and rub that dirt all over your vehicle and wheel-mangling conveyor belts. And best of all they charge you anywhere from $10-$50 for the pleasure of destroying your car 🙃

CACTUSGREYFX4

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
A good reminder that automatic car washes are the last thing you should be using if you care about your vehicle and want it to remain looking good for a long time.

Extremely harsh chemicals that dull paint and ruin windshields, brushes that hold dirt from other cars and rub that dirt all over your vehicle and wheel-mangling conveyor belts. And best of all they charge you anywhere from $10-$50 for the pleasure of destroying your car 🙃
Only carwash I would use is the touchless ones in winter to get the salt off. The one here does the underbody when you drive into it and then the wands spray everything onto your vehicle. No brushes at all.

OP
OP

Imec17

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer

I 100% avoid the car washes that have brushes. Unfortunately since I don't have a hose I can use at my apartment, I basically need to go to the touch free car washes or the manual wash stations. I think I will just start going to the manual station and spraying off my car just to get dirt/pollen off.
Sponsored