Dfw deposits and msrp

marvelmadman

First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
former 00 taco sr5. tbd 24 OR or trail hunter
For those in the DFW area, if you've put a deposit down for a 24 tacoma, did you get anything in writing saying you will get your truck for msrp or msrp + $X? Is asking for something like that in writing unreasonable? Feels like it shouldn't be but I know these dealers have gotten a bit out of hand since covid. I just don't want to put money down, wait for however long then end up with a surprise $10k added.
Sponsored

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
Regardless of location, you should be getting in writing the terms and conditions of what you are buying. Doesn't need to have the final walk out price but should at a minimum have the sales price is XX or at published MSRP.

OP
OP

marvelmadman

First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
former 00 taco sr5. tbd 24 OR or trail hunter
Regardless of location, you should be getting in writing the terms and conditions of what you are buying. Doesn't need to have the final walk out price but should at a minimum have the sales price is XX or at published MSRP.
If you have something that says, $xx is your sale price, and you wait 6 months and your truck comes in, can they add market adjustment or whatever they want to call it at the time to that price or do they they have to give it to you at the previous price? Like I said, my biggest thing is not getting hit with extra $$ the day I go to pickup something.

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
See if they will write you up a purchase order with what terms you want. Find a open allocation that suits your needs and it should be weeks and not months.

jcwls3

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S
My wife and I put down a $1K refundable deposit on a Trailhunter or TRD Pro (TBD later) late last year. Just walked into the nearest Toyota dealer in South Dallas on a lark. Met with a young sales adviser, then asked to meet with the sales manager.

We made it clear what we wanted; that we were serious buyers; and what our terms would be (MSRP, plus a few minor add-ons like window tint). The sales manager listened intently (that’s big), then told us what he could offer at that time re: deposit, delivery and pricing. Regarding the latter, he indicated MSRP should be fine, but if the market were to go nuts, he might have to go nuts with it. Fair enough. That’s why he made the deposit refundable.

He came across favorably. This will be our first Toyota. We’ve been blessed to be able to shop upper-tier brands for years, and have become accustomed to a different type of sales experience that involves no BS and encourages verbal commitments, even when ordering full-on custom builds. This particular Toyota shop, and both staffers, gave off the same type of vibe.

So, we took him at his word and handed over a check. We have no purchase contract, only a receipt indicating it’s for a 2024 TH or Pro, additionally marked REFUNDABLE is big letters.

I’m the kind of guy who does business on a handshake and firm agreement to a respectful, honest transaction that benefits both sides. That attitude has carried me all my life. People sense I can be trusted, and I make it known I demand the same in return. We’ll see if this dealer follows up the right words with the right actions.
Sponsored