Sponsored

Grand Highlander a preview of Tacoma power train line up?

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
Grand Highlander has 3 power train options

The Grand Highlander's grandest powertrain, which helps further separate it from the regular one, is the Hybrid Max. It combines a turbocharged 2.4-liter four-cylinder with a pair of electric motors and a six-speed automatic. In this application, it makes 362 horsepower, nearly as much as the version in the Lexus RX 500h. Toyota didn't divulge torque or fuel economy numbers, but this powertrain will let the Grand Highlander tow 5,000 pounds of trailer.

But more Grand Highlanders will probably get the carry-over engines from the regular Highlander: the base turbocharged 2.4-liter four-cylinder, and the optional naturally aspirated 2.5-liter hybrid four-cylinder. Again, Toyota didn't give any specs on these except to say that they're both available with either front- or all-wheel drive, and the hybrid is expected to get a quite impressive 34 mpg combined. Odds are, power and torque will be unchanged, with the turbo engine offering 265 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque, and the hybrid offering 243 combined horsepower. And while we're talking about the specs from the short SUV, the turbo engine is rated for 5,000 pounds of towing, while the hybrid is limited to 3,500.

Anyone else think this could preview the Tacoma line up? Seems there was so few leaks about the GH and the 3 options was especially surprising to me considering this will probably sell 100K units a year.

I am hopeful as I still think the 2.5 HEV would be perfect for a number of people and possibly fleet customers. I know I would love it.
Sponsored

Reactions: MJE

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Grand Highlander has 3 power train options

The Grand Highlander's grandest powertrain, which helps further separate it from the regular one, is the Hybrid Max. It combines a turbocharged 2.4-liter four-cylinder with a pair of electric motors and a six-speed automatic. In this application, it makes 362 horsepower, nearly as much as the version in the Lexus RX 500h. Toyota didn't divulge torque or fuel economy numbers, but this powertrain will let the Grand Highlander tow 5,000 pounds of trailer.

But more Grand Highlanders will probably get the carry-over engines from the regular Highlander: the base turbocharged 2.4-liter four-cylinder, and the optional naturally aspirated 2.5-liter hybrid four-cylinder. Again, Toyota didn't give any specs on these except to say that they're both available with either front- or all-wheel drive, and the hybrid is expected to get a quite impressive 34 mpg combined. Odds are, power and torque will be unchanged, with the turbo engine offering 265 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque, and the hybrid offering 243 combined horsepower. And while we're talking about the specs from the short SUV, the turbo engine is rated for 5,000 pounds of towing, while the hybrid is limited to 3,500.

Anyone else think this could preview the Tacoma line up? Seems there was so few leaks about the GH and the 3 options was especially surprising to me considering this will probably sell 100K units a year.

I am hopeful as I still think the 2.5 HEV would be perfect for a number of people and possibly fleet customers. I know I would love it.
I’d read somewhere that Toyota planned to have a hybrid option in all its vehicles by 2025. I think the only question here is whether the hybrid max makes it or not. Otherwise I’m sure the 2.4 turbo & 2.5 hybrid are all but guaranteed.

OP
OP

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
I’d read somewhere that Toyota planned to have a hybrid option in all its vehicles by 2025. I think the only question here is whether the hybrid max makes it or not. Otherwise I’m sure the 2.4 turbo & 2.5 hybrid are all but guaranteed.
Yeah I remember years back them saying that (don't think they had a date back then) and thinking it didn't seem like they were doing it. I think they finally put a date on it and you are probably accurate in 2025. With the Sienna and Sequoia being Hybrid only that is what I really expected the Grand Highlander to be also so I personally was really surprised they had 2 other powertrains. I would not have expected the 2.4 Turbo since some reviews of the 2023 Highlander with it have said it was unrefined and noisy.

I see it a little different, in the fact that I think at this point the Hybrid Max is a no brainer and probably needed since everyone seems to be going the 300HP+ route.... it's just where will the tuning be. I was a bit surprised they tuned this one to 360+ HP.... I would have expected similar to the Crown's 340.

Since the Tacoma usually (not chip shortage) sells similar numbers to the highlander (if I remember correctly) so this makes me more hopeful that what I am hoping for will happen.... the 2.5HEV

Reactions: MJE

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota, Jeep
Keep in mind those unibody vehicles are three motor set-ups adding HP support from the two other electric motors. Also keep in mind those are transverse FWD/AWD configurations. There currently is no longitudinal I4 2.4T offering to further speculate.

One could use the The Tundra/ Sequoia non-hybrid version (sans detuned SR version) as a basis for direction. Their V6 3.4TT engine produces 389 HP/ 479 TQ. Paired to the 48 HP/ 184 TQ electric motor translates to a rating of 437 HP/ 583 TQ per Toyota specifications.

Take the 2.4T non-hybrid offerings range from 265 HP/ 310TQ to around 271 HP/ 339 TQ and if Toyota retained the same electric motor for Tacoma 2.4T Hybrid Max, one could speculate a rating around 313 HP/ 414 TQ and 319 HP/ 443 TQ.

That puts things right in line with latest GM offerings with their I4 2.7T Plus and H.O. and likely Ford's offering for their I4 2.3T, especially if similar configuration of hybrid is offered. The wild card for Ford would be making available their V6 2.7TT, as their Ranger Raptor offering is expected to receive their V6 3.0TT engine.
Sponsored