Sponsored

Manual transmission locks up while low speed turn in 4H

LaHaZiS2

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 subaru BRZ, 2024 tacoma(in less than a month)
I've been driving my 2024 trd sport manual transmission for a week now, today I tried to switch from 2H to 4H, since it is recommended to do once a month by user manual. everything seems alright, until I slow down to make an downhill right turn around 10km/h in 2nd gear, it feels like the gear is locked up and slows down significantly, also very hard to make a right turn, almost stopped in the intersection.
Then I went to a parking lot, tried to make several 90 degree left and right turn in 1st and 2nd gear, every single time it feels like something jerking in that transmission and makes turning very uncomfortable. then I switch it back to 2H, suddenly everything went back to normal.
I am wondering if anybody with manual transmission had this situation, there could be something malfunctioning in the front differential, I will keep it in 2H until I take it to dealership this weekend.
9b511e8aafc28caadf19be63aae60b2.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
LaHaZiS2

LaHaZiS2

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I alsodrive a manual transmission rare drive BRZ and a full time AWD audi Q3, it's my first time drive a part time 4wd vehicle, is this something normal for part time 4wd?

OP
OP
LaHaZiS2

LaHaZiS2

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please donā€™t do that anymore! Itā€™s completely normal..

No Sharp turns in 4x4 on pavement!
thanksļ¼ŒIā€˜ll keep that in mindļ¼

taco4moro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium
This is normal in a 4x4 system. The transfer case splits power evenly between front and real differentials. Both drive shafts to the diffs want to turn at the same speed so the more sharply you turn, the more the inner tire wants to go slower and slow down the front drive shaft along with it.

Not the end of the world, but will just cause premature wear. Best practice to avoid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LaHaZiS2

LaHaZiS2

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is normal in for a 4x4 system. The transfer case splits power evenly between front and real differentials. Both drive shafts to the diffs want to turn at the same speed so the more sharply you turn, the more the inner tire wants to go slower and slow down the front drive shaft along with it.

Not the end of the world, but will just cause premature wear. Best practice to avoid.
thanks for your information, probably hardly ever need to use the 4H

taco4moro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium
thanks for your information, probably hardly ever need to use the 4H
It's great question to ask, I'm sure many other new taco owners here will think the same.

The manual recommending to use 4hi monthly has me paranoid as well sometimes, another reason go off road and use it how it's meant!

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
Are you doing this on pavement?

If so, I would not be doing this. The front diff needs loose traction to slip to perform at its best. Pavement will bind and grenade the front diff.

With my old Bronze Oxide 2010 SR5, it was a 5-speed manual, I had a Rustic Road that I used to cycle the front drive, worked well for me in the image below. Find a gravel or dirt road to cycle the front system.

DSCN1174.JPG

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
Another non issue quick fix for the 4th gen. I'm sure your ? Op helped a few newbies with 4x4 trucks..Toyota kept the 3rd gen shift knob?...come on bean counters

SweetDave

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 4x4
Another non issue quick fix for the 4th gen. I'm sure your ? Op helped a few newbies with 4x4 trucks..Toyota kept the 3rd gen shift knob?...come on bean counters
Iā€™m impressed with the quality of the responses in here to the OP; helpful & not snarky. This ? was an ā€œeasy targetā€ that no one took, I like that. Great group here!

Toy-truck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Iā€™m impressed with the quality of the responses in here to the OP; helpful & not snarky. This ? was an ā€œeasy targetā€ that no one took, I like that. Great group here!
Thatā€™s how it should be in my opinion. Too many people on forums bash other members. Weā€™re on here for a common interest, to research, talk about the vehicle, and help each other out.

SweetDave

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 4x4
Thatā€™s how it should be in my opinion. Too many people on forums bash other members. Weā€™re on here for a common interest, to research, talk about the vehicle, and help each other out.
I couldnā€™t agree with you more. On Facebook Iā€™m mainly active in a group called ā€œTacoma Owners Over 45+ā€ and thatā€™s the whole mindset there; we are helpful & cordial.
Sponsored