Sponsored

Rear locker on the Off-Road trim -- only available in 4low?

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Can anyone confirm the operation of the rear locker? Does it still only operate in 4 low?
That was a big selling point of my present Ranger, I can use it in 2 wheel, 4 high and 4 low
I have about a year left to pay on my Ranger and will most likely pick another 6 speed off road model.
You all should have all the bugs worked out of them by then :D

Enjoy the turbo 4cyl. Mine has been great, I average 23 and up to 26 mpg (summers).
Sponsored

AlexT

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado ZR2
Everything I've read has stated the rear locker is only available in 4low. My Colorado is similar to your Ranger in that you can activate the rear locker in any drive mode.

beungood

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota 4Runner Limited
No front locker or Torsen?!!

lxs123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' TRD Offroad
in what situation would you use a rear locker on 4H or 2H?

AlexT

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado ZR2
Anytime you don’t need the low gearing but need a little extra traction. It’s a hassle to stop, put in N, shift to 4lo, back to D, lock the axle, get through obstacle, then go back to hi. TFL showed that Atrac is not very aggressive until you put it in 4lo. I use it sometimes pulling trailer out of its grassy parking area or going down a dirt road and come across a washed out section or small obstacle. I’m sure you could make it through with a little momentum or wheel spin but it’s less drama to just hit the locker and go.

lxs123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' TRD Offroad
Anytime you don’t need the low gearing but need a little extra traction. It’s a hassle to stop, put in N, shift to 4lo, back to D, lock the axle, get through obstacle, then go back to hi. TFL showed that Atrac is not very aggressive until you put it in 4lo. I use it sometimes pulling trailer out of its grassy parking area or going down a dirt road and come across a washed out section or small obstacle. I’m sure you could make it through with a little momentum or wheel spin but it’s less drama to just hit the locker and go.
Thank you!

iResQ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Limited
Don't forget parking lot donuts. LOL.

AlexT

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado ZR2
Don't forget parking lot donuts. LOL.
Well I figured that was the obvious answer!

Interestingly I just noticed that the prerunner, which is 2wd only, comes standard with a rear locker. So clearly the locker is capable of working in high gear yet Toyota chose not to allow it.

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
There will definitely be a workaround to lock up in any mode. Chilloutsky

OP
OP

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Actually pretty handy just for a little extra traction in snow. My F150 had the same set up and was light in the rear end. I could lock it in for some traction up a hill or grade.

I believe there was a mod for the 3g Tacoma's back when I had a 2009 model