Sponsored

Is anyone else losing interest in the 2024 Taco?

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
I've been waiting for a truck, this truck, for well over a year. I've followed every announcement, every youtube channel, and the forums just looking for info and news about what I assumed I would be buying this year.

Initially thought I'd get a TRD Pro.. but then those isodynamic seats eating into rear legroom was a dealbreaker. I'm not a fan of the TH snorkel, but thought maybe it'd be ok with the right color. Then the colors came out and proved me wrong. I guess I could still get a hybrid Limited or offroad... but then it would require time, money, and mods to get those looking like something I wanted.. likely pushing the completed date into 2025 anyway.

And now I hear ppl saying if you don't have a deposit on a TH/Pro already, then you may be out of luck for 2024.
So right now, for the 2024 window, it seems like I'd have to:
  1. Compromise on color
  2. Wait most of 2024 without the truck anyway for delivery
  3. Try to find a local dealer not marking up and with decent allocation
  4. Commit to buy without knowing specs
  5. Commit to buy without knowing final pricing
  6. Buy 1st year of total redesign, carrying some risk
So my excitement is rapidly deflating. It often seems like it makes more sense now to wait until 2025, but I don't know if our situation will allow waiting. In the meantime, I find myself now looking more and more at the competition trying to see if I could make something else work.
Sponsored

Thomasr1950

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Tacoma
I've been waiting for a truck, this truck, for well over a year. I've followed every announcement, every youtube channel, and the forums just looking for info and news about what I assumed I would be buying this year.

Initially thought I'd get a TRD Pro.. but then those isodynamic seats eating into rear legroom was a dealbreaker. I'm not a fan of the TH snorkel, but thought maybe it'd be ok with the right color. Then the colors came out and proved me wrong. I guess I could still get a hybrid Limited or offroad... but then it would require time, money, and mods to get those looking like something I wanted.. likely pushing the completed date into 2025 anyway.

And now I hear ppl saying if you don't have a deposit on a TH/Pro already, then you may be out of luck for 2024.
  1. Compromise on color
So my excitement is rapidly deflating. It often seems like it makes more sense now to wait until 2025, but I don't know if our situation will allow waiting. In the meantime, I find myself now looking more and more at the competition trying to see if I could make something else work.

Thomasr1950

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Tacoma
I don't like how Toyota won't let Customers order what want. I want a TRD OFF ROAD auto with the Premium pkg. Toyota says Dealership get what sent. Then the Distributor is adding things I don't want. This makes no sense!

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
They're not going to be perfect for every buyer but 8 different trims, I mean that's impressive and if you were to tell me 5 years ago what the 4g would be like, it would've just given me an extra 4 years to pick it apart. Just speaks to demand for new trucks. Most are stoked right now, but people are gonna lose interest when they drop MSRP and then run the financing calcs at current market rates. And then quote full coverage at record insurance costs.

Best thing to do in the meantime [IMO] is to stop watching YouTubers spam the shit out of it. Last time I bought a new truck we didn't have every Tom, Dick & Harry dangling that shiny new object in front of your face 24/7. ..Now, I'll check Toyotas webpage daily for the MSRP to drop. The only critical thing I care about rn is PRICE because depending on that base MSRP, I move money in a couple directions & have a convo with my dealer accordingly.

Gotta wait. Drive it for yourself. If it's overhyped and not worth the money, you saved a pile of time not watching the hype machine B.S. 🤙🏽

Last edited:

jcwls3

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S
I dunno. My wife are I have purchased a number of first-year redesigns and have not experienced a letdown. But we are enthusiasts on the far end of the spectrum. A car is not just a transportation appliance to us; a truck is not just a thing to haul stuff. Nonetheless, I can completely understand your point of view.

When (if?) our promised Trailhunter arrives, we will evaluate whether to purchase using several factors. The most important to us is: Does the thing speak to us? Do we experience excitement and anticipation after walking away to consider?

If the answers are yes and yes, then there’s a good chance we’ll buy it. If one or both is no, we’ll almost certainly walk. We are not spring chickens anymore. Life is way too short to buy and drive boring vehicles.

stokes32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm losing interest for sure. Mostly because I have been expecting to be in a new vehicle since September and this thing keeps dragging on with zero explanation from Toyota. I've purchased new designs before and know there can be delays but I've always been kept in the loop to some extent. I've also been able to order exactly what I wanted. I thought Toyota would be better to work with than this.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None

1. Compromise on color
you have been waiting for over a year but never thought to put a deposit down on a sought after vehicle?

there is no competition at the present time. The GM twins have been put on a stop sale and the ranger hasn’t delivered a single unit in almost 6 months since ordering opened up. I guess there’s the Nissan if you’re into that.

Thomasr1950

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Tacoma
I'm losing interest for sure. Mostly because I have been expecting to be in a new vehicle since September and this thing keeps dragging on with zero explanation from Toyota. I've purchased new designs before and know there can be delays but I've always been kept in the loop to some extent. I've also been able to order exactly what I wanted. I thought Toyota would be better to work with than this.
Toyota needs to let Customer order what want. That doesn't make sense! If I can't get what I want, I'll have wait. I don't want any other brand.

Sner

First Name
Sner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
I’ll say that most of the Asian manufacturers work that way, they work on allocations. I think the people who are annoyed with the wait may have put a deposit on the truck too early. In so doing, they were likely promised deliveries that were unrealistic as nobody knew anything about delivery dates. On not wanting the isodynamic seats, I’m sure you’d find someone willing to trade seats with you from a lower model. I put a deposit last week of November and was told 2 weeks ago, my Taco will arrive mid March. I don’t know, look at another product …. Nothing will work as good or have a resale anywhere near a Toyota. That’s a big priority to me. I’m willing to wait, but I’m not desperate for a new vehicle.

Thomasr1950

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Tacoma
I’ll say that most of the Asian manufacturers work that way, they work on allocations. I think the people who are annoyed with the wait may have put a deposit on the truck too early. In so doing, they were likely promised deliveries that were unrealistic as nobody knew anything about delivery dates. On not wanting the isodynamic seats, I’m sure you’d find someone willing to trade seats with you from a lower model. I put a deposit last week of November and was told 2 weeks ago, my Taco will arrive mid March. I don’t know, look at another product …. Nothing will work as good or have a resale anywhere near a Toyota. That’s a big priority to me. I’m willing to wait, but I’m not desperate for a new vehicle.
Were you able to order the build you wanted?

Sner

First Name
Sner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
Were you able to order the build you wanted?
It’s not an order a build I wanted, it’s get what (a build) you (I) wanted from the allocation. That’s how it generally works in Asian products. In short yes I was able to get what I wanted. Watch this video, best explanation for how it works. Thats why some wait so long, because they are waiting for a specific colour out of the dealers allocations. How a dealers allocations work are really complicated …. I used to work in the car industry, but how an Asian car manufacturers decide what to send to each store has so many moving parts.

Thomasr1950

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Tacoma
It’s not an order a build I wanted, it’s get what (a build) you (I) wanted from the allocation. That’s how it generally works in Asian products. In short yes I was able to get what I wanted. Watch this video, best explanation for how it works. Thats why some wait so long, because they are waiting for a specific colour out of the dealers allocations. How a dealers allocations work are really complicated …. I used to work in the car industry, but how an Asian car manufacturers decide what to send to each store has so many moving parts.
Thanks for the information.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
I recommend getting a dealership with a good reputation and does not charge a mark up and working with a specific salesperson (we have had several Toyotas) If you don't know a sales person there, read the reviews. You will see certain names of sales people start to get mentioned more than others. You can tell them what you want and things you will compromise on and things you won't. Put down a deposit if they require one. The sales person can check the allocations and get you one close or even the exact model you want. I recommend this method verus running to a bunch of different dealers looking for your truck. The truth is 60% will have a deposit on them by the time they are in route to the dealer. I talked to my sales guy in December and gave him my preferences. The deposit gives your the first option to buy, it does not lock you info a contract. My guys knew they had to give me a good price on the trade in for the deal to finalize. I told my guy what I wanted in December and he called me with a TRD sport and I said no. I want an off road in silver with premium package at a minimum. He found it, I put $500 down on January 23 and picked it up on Feb 16 (we originally though mid March). Just my two cents on what worked for me.

Best of luck to all !

jcwls3

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S
Planoman’s post above is excellent advice. In business, few things trump a personal relationship.

I have done a poor job of fostering one with our preferred Toyota dealer. I just haven’t put the effort in. I’ve done more work with two local Lexus dealers on securing a GX 550 Overtrail+ that was a late add. I’m not sure why — maybe a shrink could figure it out.

Every time I see a comment or a new photo of a Trailhunter, I get that familiar sense of excitement, no different than when I think of other cool cars to come. Go figure.

It’ll probably bite me in the ass in the end.

Yimmy

First Name
Yimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD OR
This post literally made me join this wonderful forum. If you were really serious about purchasing the new Tacoma you would be driving in one by now like I have the last 2 weeks. Why even post a negative post like this... None of your six reasons are really valid. There is an amazing spreadsheet that lists every available taco in the area including color. Were there delays... Yes. Was it annoying... Yes. Did I get one by cultivating a relationship with my dealer... Yes. Either wait, get one, or move on bro!
Sponsored