Bed Extender Options

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Anyone out there have links for bed extenders. I've seen the OEM option but was curious if anyone had other options? I had one from amp research on my 3rd gen and thought it worked great!
Sponsored

stillgotomx

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I'll be following this thread, and I'm sure others will too. Please be sure to post if you find anything. I've gone from a 3rd gen 6' bed to a 4th 5' bed and will definitely need something. Your posted OEM seems too steep for me...need something a little less pricey.

stillgotomx

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
That looks acceptable...better than what I had before, which was supposed to be a Toyota OEM gate that had a kid of triangular shape and didn't extend the sides as much. What do the little safety straps attach to on the sides of the gate?

OP
OP
bsquaredMTB

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
That looks acceptable...better than what I had before, which was supposed to be a Toyota OEM gate that had a kid of triangular shape and didn't extend the sides as much. What do the little safety straps attach to on the sides of the gate?
They click into the slots on the side of the tailgate to prevent the extender from going up

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
OP
OP
bsquaredMTB

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road

Evanmauk

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Dumb question but when you say it fits fine do you mean you didn't have any trouble installing it or did you get it installed? Could you post
I had it installed at a local custom shop. The width appears to be adjustable, which I am guessing is the reason it fits. No problems switching between the two positions, and it is easily removable.

OP
OP
bsquaredMTB

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I had it installed at a local custom shop. The width appears to be adjustable, which I am guessing is the reason it fits. No problems switching between the two positions, and it is easily removable.
Gotcha. That makes perfect sense after watching an install video. Thanks! One more thing that just crossed my mind. Does anyone know if there are any issues with the auto open/close on the tailgate? I'm wondering if that could damage the truck or the extender if someone accidentally lifts the gate with the extender on.

Evanmauk

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Gotcha. That makes perfect sense after watching an install video. Thanks! One more thing that just crossed my mind. Does anyone know if there are any issues with the auto open/close on the tailgate? I'm wondering if that could damage the truck or the extender if someone accidentally lifts the gate with the extender on.
I’m not sure but I plan to switch off the tailgate when I am using this.

OP
OP
bsquaredMTB

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I’m not sure but I plan to switch off the tailgate when I am using this.
Makes sense. I'd probably do the same. I'm just wondering for the times that I forget lol.

OP
OP
bsquaredMTB

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
OP
OP
bsquaredMTB

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Update: I tried to install this bed extender and it's too wide as delivered. It's possible that someone that knows what they are doing can cut down the middle tubes and make it fit (or do something else that makes it fit) but if you're plan is to install it yourself, it's not plug-and-play. It's entirely possible I just couldn't get it to fit properly but someone else might be able to but I thought I'd mention this in case anyone had questions on DIY installs.

Evanmauk

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Decided to go with your recommendation. Where did you get it installed. I have it but I'm not sure I want to do it myself since you have to remove the tail lights
I live in Wilmington NC, and Cape Fear Customs installed it.

Evanmauk

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Update: I tried to install this bed extender and it's too wide as delivered. It's possible that someone that knows what they are doing can cut down the middle tubes and make it fit (or do something else that makes it fit) but if you're plan is to install it yourself, it's not plug-and-play. It's entirely possible I just couldn't get it to fit properly but someone else might be able to but I thought I'd mention this in case anyone had questions on DIY installs.
So sorry that you had problems. I didn’t ask for details about the installation process and they just said “no problem”. It looked to me that it was adjustable somewhat based on the installation instructions. In any event, thanks for the update and the warning!
Sponsored