Coming from other brand?

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 SuperCrew
I just joined this forum today. Anyone else new to Toyota and Tacoma? Full disclosure I’m 52 and all I’ve ever owned were Volvo cars (2) a ‘81 242 DL and ‘73 P1800ES and Ford trucks (2) ‘94 Ranger XLT SuperCab and ‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew.

Well after almost 30 years of driving Ford trucks my frustration with the lack of cab/bed configurations for the new 6G Rangers (and GM twins), it looks like my next truck will be a Tacoma.

I’m not sure if I’ll pull the trigger on a Trailhunter, but I’m definitely interested in a crewcab/longbed with factory lift and hybrid drivetrain, so its certainly checking most of my boxes. I just hope the cab space and seating position has been addressed? That shortfall kept me from buying a Tacoma sooner.
Sponsored

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
So just my opinion: Have you driven a 3G tacoma before? Every one I have ever been in sucks for various reasons. Again, my opinion. They leave so much to be desired especially with the engine/transmission combo. However I loved my 2022 Tundra but I want a mid size. Much should be revealed in the next 24 hours so my fingers are crossed that they are going to check off a lot of boxes for me. If not then I think I will be leaning towards a AT4. Just test drove one this week and it was nice. For me I want the CCSB config so it is not such a big deal for me that GM does not offer it.

FYI...Ford has been spied testing different cab/bed configurations of the ranger, but I would definitely give Toyota a chance.

OP
OP
Fattirz in NC

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 SuperCrew
So just my opinion: Have you driven a 3G tacoma before? Every one I have ever been in sucks for various reasons. Again, my opinion. They leave so much to be desired especially with the engine/transmission combo. However I loved my 2022 Tundra but I want a mid size. Much should be revealed in the next 24 hours so my fingers are crossed that they are going to check off a lot of boxes for me. If not then I think I will be leaning towards a AT4. Just test drove one this week and it was nice. For me I want the CCSB config so it is not such a big deal for me that GM does not offer it.

FYI...Ford has been spied testing different cab/bed configurations of the ranger, but I would definitely give Toyota a chance.
I have driven a friend’s bone stock ‘17 crewcab/short bed when it was less than a year old on a MTB road trip to the NC mountains. I thought the ride was fair, drivetrain sluggish and the cab cramped compared to rest of the segment with only the Nissan worse. Wanted something new, I again looked at one with my son at the Charlotte Autoshow last November. I’m not a huge guy. 5’8” 205lbs. My 16 year old son the same height and 130. With me behind the low sitting drivers seat adjusted to a driving position, my son had little room in the back compared to the competition. This will be a deal breaker if not sorted out in the 4G.

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
I have driven a friend’s bone stock ‘17 crewcab/short bed when it was less than a year old on a MTB road trip to the NC mountains. I thought the ride was fair, drivetrain sluggish and the cab cramped compared to rest of the segment with only the Nissan worse. Wanted something new, I again looked at one with my son at the Charlotte Autoshow last November. I’m not a huge guy. 5’8” 205lbs. My 16 year old son the same height and 130. With me behind the low sitting drivers seat adjusted to a driving position, my son had little room in the back compared to the competition. This will be a deal breaker if not sorted out in the 4G.
I Have never owned a Toyota so this would be a first.... room and MPG are going to be a Tie for #1 issue for me. I need to be able to have people in my backseat and be comfortable for a few hours. I am hoping for similar legroom as the new Ranger.... guess we will know in 12 hours.

WIdirtfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F150, ?2024 Tacoma?
I just joined this forum today. Anyone else new to Toyota and Tacoma? Full disclosure I’m 52 and all I’ve ever owned were Volvo cars (2) a ‘81 242 DL and ‘73 P1800ES and Ford trucks (2) ‘94 Ranger XLT SuperCab and ‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew.

Well after almost 30 years of driving Ford trucks my frustration with the lack of cab/bed configurations for the new 6G Rangers (and GM twins), it looks like my next truck will be a Tacoma.

I’m not sure if I’ll pull the trigger on a Trailhunter, but I’m definitely interested in a crewcab/longbed with factory lift and hybrid drivetrain, so its certainly checking most of my boxes. I just hope the cab space and seating position has been addressed? That shortfall kept me from buying a Tacoma sooner.
Funny to see the same usernames over here after the Ranger reveal haha
I have my deposit down at my local dealer on the Tacoma. Mainly because I was their first and only inquiry for 2024 yesterday. so i figured better get my name on the list, at the very top if its everything I'm hoping for.

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Tremor 2021
@Fattirz in NC From all the videos, they addressed the seating position issue. I might jump into a tacoma for my next truck. A TRD-Offroad with crew cab and 6 foot bed looks mighty nice right about now.

OP
OP
Fattirz in NC

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 SuperCrew
@Fattirz in NC From all the videos, they addressed the seating position issue. I might jump into a tacoma for my next truck. A TRD-Offroad with crew cab and 6 foot bed looks mighty nice right about now.
They sure did fix the front seat height, but I’m still concerned the rear legroom is really tight like the last generation. Without numbers, I’m not sure, but it appears Ford and the GM twins have more rear legroom?

TintedOut

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Silverado
Not new to Toyota's but new to Tacoma's. Sold the LX470 and Titan to downsize. All new realm for me.

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Tremor 2021
They sure did fix the front seat height, but I’m still concerned the rear legroom is really tight like the last generation. Without numbers, I’m not sure, but it appears Ford and the GM twins have more rear legroom?
Apparently the backseat are roughly the same. Check out this video, I put the timestamp in it:

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
seems that would be the case with the GM twins having more room at this point.... one reviewer even mentioned this comparison. Alex on Auto is 6' and shows him in the back seats....looks pretty tight. I still want to check it out in person for sure but think I'm going to be disappointed.

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Going to a Toyota would be a huge step for me as I’ve always preferred my American brand tracks, mostly Ford, one Chevy. Because I’m fine with the crew cab short short box (I remember when a 6-1/2’ box was the short option over an 8’…) as I’m hauling mostly air, I could realistically make my choice of any one of the 3 new entrants.

After reading up on the Toyota though, it really seems they knocked this one out of the park! I mean this is F150 levels of configuration & equipment, something I still think Ford could’ve done & should do with the Ranger. It’s like the Taco is as important to Toyota as the F150 is to Ford. This will be an interesting 18 months (as I guess my timeframe to be) in checking out options.
Sponsored