Dealer/delivery weirdness

datkins

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 prerunner
I’ve had my TRD Sport in Underground about four weeks. I planned to have it ceramic coated immediately upon delivery, and asked Eddy’s not to wash it at all. It went from the dealer to the detailer. The detailer immediately pointed out swirl marks that were in the paint before he even touched it. Dealer denied touching it and chose to have a fight about it. However, their own paint shop manager acknowledged that there were swirl marks in the paint. After some conflict, the dealer agreed to polish it in prep for the detail guy. When I picked it up from the dealer after polishing, the trip history had been erased and I was missing about a quarter of a tank of gas. Is there any legitimate reason the dealer would erase the trip data to polish the truck? I have been very disappointed with this dealer to this point. Everything is a fight, and it feels like they are always trying to cover something up.
Sponsored

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
I have seen a lot of people state their underground trucks have swirl marks in it.

OP
OP

datkins

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 prerunner
I have seen a lot of people state their underground trucks have swirl marks in it.
Thanks for the reply. I wonder why they are arriving like this.

Last edited:

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
I have swirls too. Blue crush metallic. I noticed them a few days after delivery. I’m leery of the dealer because they threw in the Toyota ceramic coating for “free”.

The swirls were “installed” at the factory or I got the “dealer installed swirl option” from their washer. I think the free coating was their attempt to cover it. Look up “DISO” in the forums.

I’m taking it to get it for ceramic pro ion layers and see if I can get any money from the Toyota coating warranty. My detailer says dealership washers are tunnels of death. LOl.

I’m also wondering if paint correction was part of the QC hold.

bml42

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Sport (6MT)
I have swirls too. Blue crush metallic. I noticed them a few days after delivery. I’m leery of the dealer because they threw in the Toyota ceramic coating for “free”.

The swirls were “installed” at the factory or I got the “dealer installed swirl option” from their washer. I think the free coating was their attempt to cover it. Look up “DISO” in the forums.

I’m taking it to get it for ceramic pro ion layers and see if I can get any money from the Toyota coating warranty. My detailer says dealership washers are tunnels of death. LOl.

I’m also wondering if paint correction was part of the QC hold.
I'm debating ceramic for mine when it arrives, so if you don' t mind sharing, what do you expect to pay for your ceramic work?

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
I'm debating ceramic for mine when it arrives, so if you don' t mind sharing, what do you expect to pay for your ceramic work?
At least $1600. This includes like a 6 step prep including clay bar (?) and level 1 paint correction and then a base and top coat of ceramic pro ion. I feel good about the detailer based on reviews and product research.

This coating includes a three year warranty for tree sap, bird poop, bugs, etc. I can extend the warranty with an annual detail and inspection by them. So, at least $1600 up to $2600 if I extend the warranty to the max of seven years.

I was considering the paint protection film for the front bumper/headlights but don’t have the budget to cover it. That was $750 itself. But man, the film is like a phone screen protector for the truck.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
At least $1600. This includes like a 6 step prep including clay bar (?) and level 1 paint correction and then a base and top coat of ceramic pro ion. I feel good about the detailer based on reviews and product research.

This coating includes a three year warranty for tree sap, bird poop, bugs, etc. I can extend the warranty with an annual detail and inspection by them. So, at least $1600 up to $2600 if I extend the warranty to the max of seven years.

I was considering the paint protection film for the front bumper/headlights but don’t have the budget to cover it. That was $750 itself. But man, the film is like a phone screen protector for the truck.
good lord that’s some coin to protect the paint. How much of that do you think is actual product cost basis?

OP
OP

datkins

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 prerunner
I’m using the top rated guy in Wichita, who is about 25% more expensive than average. The ceramic coating is $1200. If color correction is done, it doubles the price to $2400.* There are cheaper places in town. His warranty is 7 or 8 years, which is more than twice what others are offering.

*I was hoping to avoid the color correction by not having the dealer wash it. I think they complied with my request. I think it simply hit the ground with swirl marks from Toyota. I don’t know if that was part of the issue for QC holds or not, but it was very disappointing to get a new $53k vehicle with swirl marks already in the paint before I ever even sat in it.

Last edited:

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
good lord that’s some coin to protect the paint. How much of that do you think is actual product cost basis?
Most of it will be labor. They’ll have my baby for 2.5 days. I cannot remember all the steps of prep before the actual coating. It’s a labor extensive process. I’m buying in based on their reviews and ceramic pro process and tech. When I stopped by to inquire, they were coating a brand new tundra, and a corvette.

The dealer applied the Toyota ceramic in less than an hour. Not effective. But I didn’t pay for it and can maybe recoup some of my cost with the Toyota ceramic warranty. My detailer is going to get me pics of the swirls, etc. Then I’ll make a claim.

I’d probably still get the coating even if I didn’t see the swirls. I saved some money on extended b2b warranty and will use that for the coating.

I’ve wanted a Taco for years. I’m going to treat my baby right. ❤

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
I’m using the top rated guy in Wichita, who is about 25% more expensive than average. The ceramic coating is $1200. If color correction is done, it doubles the price to $2400.* There are cheaper places in town. His warranty is 7 or 8 years, which OSS more than twice what others are offering.

*I was hoping to avoid the color correction by not having the dealer wash it. I think they complied with my request. I think it simply hit the ground with swirl marks from Toyota. I don’t know if that was part of the issue for QC holds or not, but it was very disappointing to get a new $53k vehicle with swirl marks already in the paint before I ever even sat in it.
Exactly!

bml42

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thanks, there's a guy around the corner that does good work and he quoted me $1,500 for a 3 layer application of GTechniq CSU Black, coming with a 9 year warranty. That includes the prep, product and application over the course of 3-4 days. I am completely ignorant of which ceramic products are best, but this is what he's accredited to apply and recommends.

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
Thanks, there's a guy around the corner that does good work and he quoted me $1,500 for a 3 layer application of GTechniq CSU Black, coming with a 9 year warranty. That includes the prep, product and application over the course of 3-4 days. I am completely ignorant of which ceramic products are best, but this is what he's accredited to apply and recommends.
That’s sounds on par. Detailers seem to live or die off of their reputations. How are his customer reviews?

bml42

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't read much in the way of ceramic specifically but he's worked on my previous baby (1995 Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo) and his work was amazing. In my discussion with him on the ceramic he did say I could get the PPF and still have him do the ceramic over that. Of course, I have a guy coming to look at what appears to be a leak in my cathedral ceiling, it might turn out the budget for ceramic is gone :cautious: