Sponsored

Does the base powertrain give you enough power?

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
Does the base power level of the 2.4-liter i-Force engine offer enough power and capability, or will you look to higher trims with a more powerful version of this engine? Here's some food for thought:
https://www.autoblog.com/2023/05/18/2024-toyota-tacoma-reveal-hybrid-manual-off-road-trailhunter/#:~:text=The base Tacoma engine is,243 pound-feet of torque.
This power train would be totally fine with me as I am coming from a small SUV with less power. I don't tow anything I want the best MPG possible but I will likely be looking at a SR5 which gets the bump up so way more than enough for me.

SpeedDevil

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
2024 Tacoma Does the base powertrain give you enough power? 02CE488B-B7D6-4F66-83F2-E2530DB4E218

Its a good start, but like my Bronco here, ya lust for more

Im pawsitive the Aftermarket will answer and it’ll make more power easily than the last gen could

Reactions: MJE

ForestTaco02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Tacoma SR5
It'll probably feel like the I-force Max compared to my '02 4-cyl

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
More than enough. People are so pissed they dumped the v6 they're failing to see the i4 will outperform the v6. It's a mid-sized truck I'll hardly tow anything heavy with and I drive 5-6 hours straight frequently so it's going to be nice to have the i4 gas mileage and still have more HP/torque than what I'm accustomed to with my i4 Camry.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I force has more than enough power for all its claimed to do. Has more than my Gladiator, and my Gladiator is a couple hundred lbs heavier and on 37s. Never felt the pentastar being weak like some claim. As for the base motor, I'm sure toyota debated it mainly for economy, but those numbers should still move taco without too much effort. If towing, I would highly suggest iforce or max.

PnchDrnk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT
I'm coming from a '21 Ford Ranger XLT. It has similar numbers with an inline 4 turbo and I have never had any issues with power. I do a fair amount of back country camping with a fully loaded bed and cab and it has never failed me once. The only reason I could see someone lacking power is if they really do need a Full size truck which is a different discussion all together.

Last edited:

TacomaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tacoma Limited
You won't have to rap it out so much as you do with the current v6 as the torque will be better at much lower RPM's.

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
If the new Taco hybrid is anything like the Sienna's (I know the Sienna's is a 2.5 and has slightly higher specs in both HP and torque) I think it will be more than enough power. That van is surprisingly quick off the line due to the electric engine. And my wife's is an AWD that is usually packed to the gills.
Sponsored