Former Toyota T100 Owner

Overlander

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect van
I'm now retired, but I've been exploring and overlanding since before I had my first 4WD as a young man. My second 4WD was a T100 Xtracab that served me well for 27 years until recently. For the moment I don't have a 4WD due to temporary life circumstances but that should change by the end of next year.

My priorities are a good overlanding vehicle that's also good on the highway, decent off-road capability (ground clearance, rear locker, suspension travel, etc.), and a manual transmission. For now my first candidate is the 4-door Ford Bronco but the new Tacoma is also in the running. I'm hoping that the 2025 model year extends the manual transmission to the Trailhunter and/or TRD Pro with their superior features. The 2025 4runner is also a possibility but we'll see how that turns out. [Edit: It appears that the manual tranny is not available with the hybrid powerplant, which is why the manual isn't available on the Trailhunter or TRD Pro.]

In coming months I'll be keeping an eye on things as more information comes out and as the aftermarket responds. If I do get a Tacoma, I figure on doing at least some mods depending on the trim. If I'm stuck with just the TRD Off-Road then I'm going to need to replace the bumpers for better clearance, get larger tires, add an air compressor, etc. I'm not happy that as of now you can only get the auxiliary switches on that trim through the Upgrade package which costs $4625 US.

I'm looking forward to being part of this community and learning a lot along the way!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Overlander

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect van
Welcome! T 100s are awesome trucks. 27 years is impressive.
Thanks!

The T100 served me well. In later years it was no longer a daily driver so it didn't roll up as many miles. I sold it just short of 200K miles.

Bubbadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota Tacoma
Thanks!

The T100 served me well. In later years it was no longer a daily driver so it didn't roll up as many miles. I sold it just short of 200K miles.
I have a similar experience with my 2001 Tundra. I bought it new. It has been my daily driver ever since and has 245,000 miles. I think I might be ready to move on to a 2024 Tacoma when the initial enthusiasm dies down and "dealer adjustments" go away.
Sponsored