Full-Time 4WD?

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
Hopefully the online specs are in error, but presently it shows full-time 4WD only available on the forthcoming hybrid Limited, and not on the presently available gas-only Limited. Will be checking with my dealer to see if they have any further information, but could have sworn the full-time 4WD, especially given the price, was standard on Limited trims. The only way to fly, commuting in snow country!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Wouldn't full-time kill gas mileage anyways? I'll never understand why people would want that. Or is it just the case of where it'll auto engage when needed?

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
Wouldn't full-time kill gas mileage anyways? I'll never understand why people would want that. Or is it just the case of where it'll auto engage when needed?
It's always engaged, but uses a torsen center differential to allow different speeds between front and rear axles. You would expect it to impact mileage (although not much, really), but the Land Cruiser also has the same full time 4WD system and the initial mileage that Toyota published was very good.

OP
OP

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
Kielly, full-time 4WD is the only way to fly in snow/ice country. For one thing, part-time 4WD is recommended by Toyota to be disengaged at speeds over 55 MPH. So, the scenario is when one is traveling down the highway at, say, 70 MPH, especially on an up-grade, and one encounters an icy stretch. NO problem if one has full-time 4WD, but if in 2WD rear drive, as in a Tacoma, things can become exciting very rapidly!

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Kielly, full-time 4WD is the only way to fly in snow/ice country. For one thing, part-time 4WD is recommended by Toyota to be disengaged at speeds over 55 MPH. So, the scenario is when one is traveling down the highway at, say, 70 MPH, especially on an up-grade, and one encounters an icy stretch. NO problem if one has full-time 4WD, but if in 2WD rear drive, as in a Tacoma, things can become exciting very rapidly!
You've got a point! But where I live if anyone's driving over 110kph in any drivetrain during the winters here they'll probably end upside down in the ditch before they reach their destination haha.

The majority of folks I know with trucks up here, which seems to be the majority of the population, all have part time 4wd vehicles.

I like to have a lot of fun all year round getting ready end happy so full-time 4wd would crush my totally legit, totally professional, definitely not going to slam into a curb formula 1 drift moments 🤪

OP
OP

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
You've got a point! But where I live if anyone's driving over 110kph in any drivetrain during the winters here they'll probably end upside down in the ditch before they reach their destination haha.

The majority of folks I know with trucks up here, which seems to be the majority of the population, all have part time 4wd vehicles.

I like to have a lot of fun all year round getting ready end happy so full-time 4wd would crush my totally legit, totally professional, definitely not going to slam into a curb formula 1 drift moments 🤪
But, but, you will have a better chance of not ending up in a ditch with your new Tacoma! Whatever you decide, enjoy!
Sponsored