Impaired driver technology aka kill switch

skyking3

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
Does anyone know if Toyota will be including the impaired driver technology in the new Tacoma this year or will they wait until the mandate requires it to be included starting with the 2026 model year and beyond? Also, do you think there will be a way to disable this switch? Asking for a friend since I have not consumed any alcohol in almost 50 years.
Sponsored

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
I would be shocked if the law actually takes effect without it being challenged in court on 4th amendment grounds. If it does then you can almost guarantee someone will find a bypass solution much like the mandated start/stop.

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
The nanny of all nannies…Please no!

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
Guessing it would need to be a sensor on the steering wheel to detect BAL through the skin in order not to be invasive and cause revolt. I know the tech is out there but not sure if it is ready for prime time.

Reactions: MJE

Jstryker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 24
Guessing it would need to be a sensor on the steering wheel to detect BAL through the skin in order not to be invasive and cause revolt. I know the tech is out there but not sure if it is ready for prime time.
This is nuts. Turning on is not something that should be negotiable. People may need to leave in an emergency fleeing something.... All it takes is what maybe some lotion on your hands or other sort of residue that horks with the tech to make it not work right?

They should try to actually punish people accordingly. Do it Enough times and if the penalty is serious enough INCLUDING permanent impound of a vehicle... Then we don't need kill switches. I'm 50 and have NEVER drank and drove.

OP
OP
skyking3

skyking3

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
The main problem I have with this technology is that once the government forces the auto makers to include this system then where will they stop. I have no problem with them shutting down vehicles actually being driven by impaired drivers. Suppose that you say something that is politically incorrect on social media and then the government decides to shut down your truck. It could be anyone in the party out of power or any group that is discriminated against that is declared to be impaired. I don’t trust either political party or any politician to not abuse their power. Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored