Sponsored

Manual 2024 Tacoma Owners? Reviews / feedback?

Tacocho

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to buy a 4th Gen taco soon.
Who all has purchased and had time to put some miles on a manual Tacoma?

I haven’t seen too many manual reviews so I’m just curious on your feedback on the manuals!
Sponsored

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
Great question. I am considering a deposit on an MT. Would be very interested in some reviews by owners.

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
Mine's currently in freight status enroute to my dealer. I should have it in about 2 weeks (hopefully).
Did you read the long forum on reduced HP and higher peak torque RPM...lots of different opinions. What swayed you to choose the MT?

OP
OP
Tacocho

Tacocho

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine's currently in freight status enroute to my dealer. I should have it in about 2 weeks (hopefully).
Nice! What’s your build number? I’m looking at one around 15000.

OP
OP
Tacocho

Tacocho

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you read the long forum on reduced HP and higher peak torque RPM...lots of different opinions. What swayed you to choose the MT?
I test drove an automatic recently. The transmission was smooth, but manual is just more fun for me. The manual also has less power only because of a reduced redline due to flywheel chattering at high revs.

Viper1973mk

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road (6MT)
Last spring I purchased my first manual car (23 Subaru WRX Premium) and absolutely love it. When my Silverado finally got to the mileage that it needed to be replaced I decided I wanted to do a manual. The performance difference between the auto and the manual is not something that had any bearing on my decision at all.

Only current options for a manual truck are the Tacoma and the Jeep Gladiator. The reviews for the Jeep in general suck due to their quality concerns. I wanted to down-size the truck so the Tacoma checked all of the boxes and is pretty much universally loved.

After doing some research I decided to take a blind leap of faith and just go for it. It'll be my first Toyota and if the build quality is anything like my Subaru I should be very happy :)

Viper1973mk

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road (6MT)
I’m hoping ours have the resolved grille shutter issue.
Amen to that.... It may just be something on the automatics because I imagine the wiring harnesses themselves are different since the manual doesn't have all the electronics and stuff.

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
I agree. Manual is just a blast in general. I don’t think a 8hp difference will be noticeable to a driver like me. But I’d be lying if I said I’m a not concerned about the torque peak.

OP
OP
Tacocho

Tacocho

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. Manual is just a blast in general. I don’t think a 8hp difference will be noticeable to a driver like me. But I’d be lying if I said I’m a not concerned about the torque peak.
Manuals typically have less drivetrain power loss so I would think the manual would feel just as powerful if not more.

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
Manuals typically have less drivetrain power loss so I would think the manual would feel just as powerful if not more.
I don’t quite understand the technical aspect of your statement but I fully understand the “feel” of driving a manual. And that’s what I want….that symbiotic feeling…being connected to the engine. I hope that makes sense.

First Name
Another
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2001
These slightly different numbers mean little to nothing. The gear ratios are very different and automatic transmissions have more power loss through the transmission. So the amount of power to the rear wheel is probably equal or maybe even slightly higher in the manual transmission as manual transmissions have very little power loss through the transmission.

run_ruh

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road Premium Package 6-Spd (white)
I have 11762, its at the rail yard in my city. Should be at the dealership next week. I agree, theyre just more fun. I heard the 6 speeds are great if you drive them right. They are not meant to slam gears and bounce it off the rev limiter.
Sponsored