Sponsored

Misleading specs and details missing on the new Tacoma

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Reveal was cool but as far as I am concerned there are a few unanswered questions, and also some oddities.

- 11in of ground clearance on the TRD Pro is very misleading. In fact that’s the maximum running clearance. Ground clearance is at 9.5in, which is much lower than both the ZR2 and Raptor. See: https://www.thedrive.com/news/2024-...vs-ranger-raptor-colorado-zr2-frontier-pro-4x

- 2400W inverter sounds great especially for camping/overlanding. But no words on if it will work when engine is off? On the Hybrid Tundra, engine needs to be running for the AC outlet to work so that’s a bad sign. This could either be a game changer or big miss.

- Payload for TRD Pro and Trailhunter? Toyota is known to have low payloads, which is a big minus for overlanding. Trailhunter being a trim dedicated to overlanding, one could imagine it has a great payload but if that’s the case why not advertise it?

- No memory seats is a huge miss for me. Both the new Ranger and Colorado have it. We have only one vehicle with my wife and we alternate who is driving every single day. So frustrating they will sell those TRD Pros for 60K, you have electric ventilated seats but adding 2 memory button was too much to ask. Thanks Toyota.

- The 33in tires are misleading. The competition has 285/70/17 and this has 265/70/18. This is slightly smaller in diameter, and very much smaller in width (10.4 vs 11.2 in). Far from a true 33in. Now the question is can we fit 35s without trimming?

- No front locker when the competition has it. It’s a shame but I am ok with this one. Mostly use the rear locker anyway.

- No price announced sucks. All the others announced their pricing with the reveal.

Depending on the inverter, payload and pricing answer I might buy a TRD Pro, Trailhunter,… or go with the competition. My guess is that those will cost about the same as the Ranger Raptor, which makes the ZR2 a great deal at $48K.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jeeper Defector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Jeep JT Gladiator
MPG specs would have been welcome. But that usually comes later after EPA certification.

Will be especially interesting (personally) to see how much the i-Force MAX Hybrid is tuned for performance vs mileage.

BigDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma PreRunner (future)
I would've liked to see pricing too but keep in mind the Ranger order banks open next week and production is many months ahead of the Taco. They may be holding it close to the vest or gauging competitive environment.

I personally think the 24 Tacoma debut got moved up ahead of schedule from all the leaks. It was the worst kept secret so they just pushed it out. We saw Toyota do it even yesterday when the PR got leaked.

As for the 2400W inverter I agree with you there and would add that I wish it were available with the manual.

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
So no driver memory seat functions. Wonder if they have moved those to the driver profiles or key profile.

cvollers

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Alltrack
Reveal was cool but as far as I am concerned there are a few unanswered questions, and also some oddities.

- 11in of ground clearance on the TRD Pro is very misleading. In fact that’s the maximum running clearance. Ground clearance is at 9.5in, which is much lower than both the ZR2 and Raptor. See: https://www.thedrive.com/news/2024-...vs-ranger-raptor-colorado-zr2-frontier-pro-4x

- 2400W inverter sounds great especially for camping/overlanding. But no words on if it will work when engine is off? On the Hybrid Tundra, engine needs to be running for the AC outlet to work so that’s a bad sign. This could either be a game changer or big miss.

- Payload for TRD Pro and Trailhunter? Toyota is known to have low payloads, which is a big minus for overlanding. Trailhunter being a trim dedicated to overlanding, one could imagine it has a great payload but if that’s the case why not advertise it?

- No memory seats is a huge miss for me. Both the new Ranger and Colorado have it. We have only one vehicle with my wife and we alternate who is driving every single day. So frustrating they will sell those TRD Pros for 60K, you have electric ventilated seats but adding 2 memory button was too much to ask. Thanks Toyota.

- The 33in tires are misleading. The competition has 285/70/17 and this has 265/70/18. This is slightly smaller in diameter, and very much smaller in width (10.4 vs 11.2 in). Far from a true 33in. Now the question is can we fit 35s without trimming?

- No front locker when the competition has it. It’s a shame but I am ok with this one. Mostly use the rear locker anyway.

- No price announced sucks. All the others announced their pricing with the reveal.

Depending on the inverter, payload and pricing answer I might buy a TRD Pro, Trailhunter,… or go with the competition. My guess is that those will cost about the same as the Ranger Raptor, which makes the ZR2 a great deal at $48K.
I really like that ZR2 as well. Was initially thinking the new Taco might benefit from the longer bed, but it appears that the 6' bed is only available on the lower trim packages, not the Pro/Trailhunter.

jmodz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota Tacoma RC
I really like that ZR2 as well. Was initially thinking the new Taco might benefit from the longer bed, but it appears that the 6' bed is only available on the lower trim packages, not the Pro/Trailhunter.
The Trailhunter is available with a 5 or 6ft bed. The 3rd Gen TRD Pro was always just a double cab with the 5ft bed so no surprise the 6ft bed isn't an option.

TacoTuesdays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
The Trailhunter is available with a 5 or 6ft bed. The 3rd Gen TRD Pro was always just a double cab with the 5ft bed so no surprise the 6ft bed isn't an option.
Wonder what the breakover on a 6' ft bed is gonna look like.

WIdirtfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F150, ?2024 Tacoma?
So no driver memory seat functions. Wonder if they have moved those to the driver profiles or key profile.
I wonder if more info will come. I can’t imagine the limited wouldn’t have this.

cvollers

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Alltrack
Good to know…thanks. Now how about those front recovery points on the Trailhunter? Are they cleverly hidden or just plain missing?

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Tremor 2021
Good to know…thanks. Now how about those front recovery points on the Trailhunter? Are they cleverly hidden or just plain missing?
It has them, just closer to the start of the skid plate.

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Trailhunter and Pro recovery points are tucked in way back where the skid plate starts. See the TFL video showing the Trailhunter at 14:18 time if following link doesn't take you directly there.

fw3boulder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tacoma 4wd.xtracab v6
MPG specs would have been welcome. But that usually comes later after EPA certification.

Will be especially interesting (personally) to see how much the i-Force MAX Hybrid is tuned for performance vs mileage.
I know TMNA hasn't released MPG numbers yet, but any educated guesses? The config I'm most interested in (now, anyway) is TRD OR w iForce Max

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I know TMNA hasn't released MPG numbers yet, but any educated guesses? The config I'm most interested in (now, anyway) is TRD OR w iForce Max
It should be decent with the hybrid I’d think. The Tundra does 20 combined, it would have to beat that. I don’t see how it couldn’t. But just based on size/weight/aerodynamics, I’d think it couldn’t beat the RX500H with that Powertrain. So something less than 27. So say somewhere in the middle? 25? The F150 hybrid I thought could do 24.
2024 Tacoma Misleading specs and details missing on the new Tacoma IMG_4927

2024 Tacoma Misleading specs and details missing on the new Tacoma IMG_4928
Sponsored