OEM predator step...step location?

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
For those with the OEM predator step...are the steps functionally located? I read a post somewhere about the steps not being located in a usable position on the rail? What's y'alls experience? My wife is very short and will need a functional step. TIA.
Sponsored

Dansflhti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport,16 Mustang GT Conv,14 HD SG.
I can't speak for the 2024 model yet..I have a set ordered for my incoming sport...but I have them on my 2022 and the step position is perfect.

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Same as @Dansflhti. My 2024 should arrive at the dealer today and they have the predator steps ordered to install for me (not sure if they have them yet). But on my last 2 Tacomas they have lined up perfectly. I was going to just skip the steps on this one since they weren't on the build I was able to snag but after making that decision, I paid a little more attention and realized I'm using them myself without even thinking about it.

On my Gen2, I had the other OEM tube steps and they didn't stick out enough to actually be useful. Created an awkward off-balance situation trying to step on them to get in the truck.

Supertech1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD ORP
My ‘24 OR has them. I did not want them because I prefer a different style, straight board.

To me, they do not line up well. Specifically the driver side step is too far forward. Passenger side seems to work better for entry/exit, IMO. This is a sample of one, maybe it works better for others.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
Yes they are functional. My 86 year old mom used the step and grab handle like a champ last weekend!

I dont really like them either, but they were a port option that was added. After seeing TFL do MOAB with them on and them surviving, I have a bit more respect for them. I would like the oval tub step which I think protects against door dings better.

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
You might also want to look into https://www.roughcountry.com/steps-and-running-boards/toyota/tacoma/2024
I've not used any of them personally but have seen decent reviews for previous model years. Their Nerf step is similar design to the predator but it has more rounded edges. The one thing I originally didn't like about the Predator is they have some sharp corners that I kept hitting my shins against when loading groceries, etc. but I quickly learned to dodge them reflexively.
Sponsored