jcwls3

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S
Greetings all,

My wife and I decided to cancel our allocation request / deposit on a Trailhunter in favor of the Overtrail+. There were several reasons.

1) My wife has become really fond of the styling of the new GX 550, particularly the Overtrail model.
2) The number of folks posting (mostly admittedly minor) issues with their new Tacomas gives us pause.
3) The Tacoma’s back seat is smaller than we'd hoped. (We finally took a look at a 2024 Tacoma a few weeks ago.)
4) For how we intend to use it, the Overtrail holds as much utility as the Tacoma overall. The GX is a little less in some areas, a little more in others.
5) We strongly prefer our Japanese cars to be manufactured in Japan by Japanese workers for quality reasons. The GX 550 is built in Tahara; the Tacoma, not.

Our Toyota dealer was disappointed, but refunded our deposit without issue. We may revisit our decision in the future. The Tacoma, and Trailhunter specifically, is such a compelling vehicle. I'll probably still lurk here from time to time as people take deliveries of their TRD Pros and Trailhunters to see how things are going.

I wish you all the best. I've learned a great deal from you all on this forum. I have zero doubt that all of you buying 2024 MY Tacomas will come out well in the long-term. Toyota stakes its reputation on the quality of its products. The little niggling problems here and there will be addressed, and addressed well.

Best regards -- good luck!

PS - We did end up purchasing our first Toyota a few weeks ago, a 2024 Prius Limited in Supersonic Red. It'll be a runaround third vehicle for us for a few years, and will eventually go to our daughter. So far the car is immaculate, and surprisingly fun to drive. Lots of stares with the new style, particularly in the red. We are amazed at the amount of tech in the car for $40K MSRP (which is what we paid without ADM, despite the dealer tacking on $2,500 worth; to their credit, they removed it entirely without issue), including heated and cooled front seats; heated rear seats; digital rearview mirror; dash cam; 12.3" center display; Softex seats; panoramic cameras with full ParkAssist; panoramic moonroof; etc.

For you prospective 2024 Tacoma owners, the infortainment system you'll be getting is snappy, responsive, and very clear. Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto are a breeze, as is wirelss phone charging. And for being another name for vinyl, Softex is surprisingly soft and comfortable. See attached. Happy motoring!

2024 Tacoma Pulled deposit on Trailhunter in favor of GX 550 Overtrail+ 2024PriusLTD
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: MJE

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I wish you well with the GX! A very compelling choice indeed, I’m certainly also interested in an OT+. Truck vs. SUV would seem to be a completely easy decision o start narrowing down your purchase decision a bit, but surprisingly it’s not. I have to agree with your assessment, for the way I’d plan to use the vehicle too, a truck has some advantages while an SUV offers others. Price you’d think would be the other huge deciding factor, but if budget isn’t a consideration or not more so than what vehicle fits you best, even that isn’t easy to narrow down. Good luck with the Prius too, it looks great!

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
Congrats! Agree the GX has more utility if you do not specifically want or need a truck bed and some love for your rear seat passengers! If I could get my hands on a prius prime for around town I might or a Tesla Model Y especially if gas gets to 4 a gallon...

markal

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road (soon)
Greetings all,

My wife and I decided to cancel our allocation request / deposit on a Trailhunter in favor of the Overtrail+. There were several reasons.

1) My wife has become really fond of the styling of the new GX 550, particularly the Overtrail model.
2) The number of folks posting (mostly admittedly minor) issues with their new Tacomas gives us pause.
3) The Tacoma’s back seat is smaller than we'd hoped. (We finally took a look at a 2024 Tacoma a few weeks ago.)
4) For how we intend to use it, the Overtrail holds as much utility as the Tacoma overall. The GX is a little less in some areas, a little more in others.
5) We strongly prefer our Japanese cars to be manufactured in Japan by Japanese workers for quality reasons. The GX 550 is built in Tahara; the Tacoma, not.

Our Toyota dealer was disappointed, but refunded our deposit without issue. We may revisit our decision in the future. The Tacoma, and Trailhunter specifically, is such a compelling vehicle. I'll probably still lurk here from time to time as people take deliveries of their TRD Pros and Trailhunters to see how things are going.

I wish you all the best. I've learned a great deal from you all on this forum. I have zero doubt that all of you buying 2024 MY Tacomas will come out well in the long-term. Toyota stakes its reputation on the quality of its products. The little niggling problems here and there will be addressed, and addressed well.

Best regards -- good luck!

PS - We did end up purchasing our first Toyota a few weeks ago, a 2024 Prius Limited in Supersonic Red. It'll be a runaround third vehicle for us for a few years, and will eventually go to our daughter. So far the car is immaculate, and surprisingly fun to drive. Lots of stares with the new style, particularly in the red. We are amazed at the amount of tech in the car for $40K MSRP (which is what we paid without ADM, despite the dealer tacking on $2,500 worth; to their credit, they removed it entirely without issue), including heated and cooled front seats; heated rear seats; digital rearview mirror; dash cam; 12.3" center display; Softex seats; panoramic cameras with full ParkAssist; panoramic moonroof; etc.

For you prospective 2024 Tacoma owners, the infortainment system you'll be getting is snappy, responsive, and very clear. Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto are a breeze, as is wirelss phone charging. And for being another name for vinyl, Softex is surprisingly soft and comfortable. See attached. Happy motoring!

2024PriusLTD.jpg
I'm curious, did you consider the new Land Cruiser? If so, why pick the GX over the LC?
Sponsored