Ride Quality: Sport vs. Offroad

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I chose the Sport becuase that will be the first model that hits my dealers lot.

The suspension will be completely changed over the winter, so ride quality is a moot point for me.

Plus.....hood skewp.

Oh and also body colored fender flares, not a fan of black flares.
The black flares were a big selling point for me. Choice between cosmetics: scoop or black flares, I chose flares. Depends on the base color though. They look good on the Solar Octane because it's a nice contrast but on white, for instance, I think they look goofy.

To each his/her own. If we all liked the same thing they'd only have to build a single trim in a single color and that would be boring.
Sponsored

KB Voodoo

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Gladiator, Raptor
The black flares were a big selling point for me. Choice between cosmetics: scoop or black flares, I chose flares. Depends on the base color though. They look good on the Solar Octane because it's a nice contrast but on white, for instance, I think they look goofy.

To each his/her own. If we all liked the same thing they'd only have to build a single trim in a single color and that would be boring.
We're getting silver, I'm just not a fan of the black flares on that color.

We're doing a lift with 35's and double black Method 305's on day one.

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
We're getting silver, I'm just not a fan of the black flares on that color.

We're doing a lift with 35's and double black Method 305's on day one.
Yeah. My last Tacoma was silver and I went with Sport because I didn't like how the silver looked with the fender flares plus it was leased so I wasn't going to be off-roading with it at all so the only potential gain from the OR was the ride quality which is pretty slight, but still noticeable particularly on my road that's got 17 layers of asphalt patch and probably none of the original road.

RockettMan

First Name
Rikki
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport / Bronze / Long Bed
I need it to be good enough off-road to haul motorcycles. I use my Bronco Raptor for hard core off road.

MarineVet6113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD
After driving Toyota 4X4's for over 30 years, I can spot a "street truck" and a 4X4 that can off-road.

My 3 key points are, tires, the W angles and rear axle gearing indicating what an off-roader is vs a "street truck."

Tires are the most important on any truck, you can have slicks on a TRD Off-Road and it will not go far off-road.

The W angles are approach angle, breakover angle and departure angle. These are vital because if you lack proper numbers, you will destroy your vehicle off-road. This corresponds with running ground clearance that mostly comes from larger tires, point #1.

Finally, lower gearing is important for an off-roader. Having X-Runner gearing or 3.73 type, you get the idea, higher gearing is not for a true off-road vehicle. Lower gearing is vital.

My simple 2024 TRD Sport 6MT boasts off-road capabilities, not "street truck" creds.

I am running 265/70 R18 BFG KO2's which are solid off-road tires.

My W angles have improved with the larger 32.6" tires. I actually have 12" under the lower front cross member, that is off-road worthy and not for street. I would drop the truck if it were a "street truck."

Finally my rear axle gearing is impressive at 4.30 gears in the 9.5" axle of my TRD Sport. I had 4.30 gearing likewise on my 2016 SR 4x4, my 2010 SR5 and 1986 desert racing Toyota 4x4 had 4.10 gearing. Again, not street gearing but off-roading gearing.

Just because you have a TRD Off-Road decal and some bells and whistles like sway bar disconnect or locking rear diff does not mean other Toyota 4x4's cannot or should not be classed as an off-roader.

My TRD Sport will and can off-road with any TRD Off-Road because it is a legendary Toyota 4x4 and not some Colorado or Ranger.

I have built and driven plenty of lower grade Toyota trucks to off-road just fine. My 2024 TRD Sport will join that personal history of mine some day. Wife will have to let me , hehehe...

We all drive legendary Toyota 4X4's, and as long as it has a front diff, it can off-road with the best of them.
I agree. I have the sport model and yes it handles fantastic on the road. I heard it has a larger or thicker sway bar than the other models but I have not verified if that is true or not. It definitely feels like a euro car in the way it rides which I personally like but outside of a few things they are all the same truck. Someone saying the sport doesn’t have off road capability would be misinformed.

Per the Toyota website both 4WD models have A-Trac and the Sport would have Auto Limited Slip Diff which really is more useful in a lot more situations likely than a locker. I’ve seen plenty of people do a lot in sport model Tacomas. Actually most than most people do period.

“Tacomas with rear-wheel drive feature an automatic limited-slip differential (Auto LSD), and four-wheel-drive models have an electronically controlled two-speed transfer case with high/low range along with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) and an automatic limited-slip differential (Auto LSD). An electronic locking rear differential is standard on TRD PreRunner, TRD Off-Road, TRD Pro, and Trailhunter grades. The new and luxurious Limited grade now features a full-time four-wheel-drive system with a center locking differential on i-FORCE MAX models.”

https://pressroom.toyota.com/2024-toyota-tacoma-is-the-ultimate-adventure-machine/

Reactions: oxi

Sponsored

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
I agree. I have the sport model and yes it handles fantastic on the road. I heard it has a larger or thicker sway bar than the other models but I have not verified if that is true or not. It definitely feels like a euro car in the way it rides which I personally like but outside of a few things they are all the same truck. Someone saying the sport doesn’t have off road capability would be misinformed.

Per the Toyota website both 4WD models have A-Trac and the Sport would have Auto Limited Slip Diff which really is more useful in a lot more situations likely than a locker. I’ve seen plenty of people do a lot in sport model Tacomas. Actually most than most people do period.

“Tacomas with rear-wheel drive feature an automatic limited-slip differential (Auto LSD), and four-wheel-drive models have an electronically controlled two-speed transfer case with high/low range along with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) and an automatic limited-slip differential (Auto LSD). An electronic locking rear differential is standard on TRD PreRunner, TRD Off-Road, TRD Pro, and Trailhunter grades. The new and luxurious Limited grade now features a full-time four-wheel-drive system with a center locking differential on i-FORCE MAX models.”

https://pressroom.toyota.com/2024-toyota-tacoma-is-the-ultimate-adventure-machine/

Sometimes it is not bad to feel the road, keeps you alive.

As long as it is a 4x4, it can off-road with the best of them.

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
After driving Toyota 4X4's for over 30 years, I can spot a "street truck" and a 4X4 that can off-road.

My 3 key points are, tires, the W angles and rear axle gearing indicating what an off-roader is vs a "street truck."

Tires are the most important on any truck, you can have slicks on a TRD Off-Road and it will not go far off-road.

The W angles are approach angle, breakover angle and departure angle. These are vital because if you lack proper numbers, you will destroy your vehicle off-road. This corresponds with running ground clearance that mostly comes from larger tires, point #1.

Finally, lower gearing is important for an off-roader. Having X-Runner gearing or 3.73 type, you get the idea, higher gearing is not for a true off-road vehicle. Lower gearing is vital.

My simple 2024 TRD Sport 6MT boasts off-road capabilities, not "street truck" creds.

I am running 265/70 R18 BFG KO2's which are solid off-road tires.

My W angles have improved with the larger 32.6" tires. I actually have 12" under the lower front cross member, that is off-road worthy and not for street. I would drop the truck if it were a "street truck."

Finally my rear axle gearing is impressive at 4.30 gears in the 9.5" axle of my TRD Sport. I had 4.30 gearing likewise on my 2016 SR 4x4, my 2010 SR5 and 1986 desert racing Toyota 4x4 had 4.10 gearing. Again, not street gearing but off-roading gearing.

Just because you have a TRD Off-Road decal and some bells and whistles like sway bar disconnect or locking rear diff does not mean other Toyota 4x4's cannot or should not be classed as an off-roader.

My TRD Sport will and can off-road with any TRD Off-Road because it is a legendary Toyota 4x4 and not some Colorado or Ranger.

I have built and driven plenty of lower grade Toyota trucks to off-road just fine. My 2024 TRD Sport will join that personal history of mine some day. Wife will have to let me , hehehe...

We all drive legendary Toyota 4X4's, and as long as it has a front diff, it can off-road with the best of them.
It sounds like you do a lot with your Sport. I'm assuming you took the air dam off. Have you installed any type of plate underneath? I have a 2024 Sport also, with the dam off, but I'm a little concerned about snow and ice in the winter, tearing off the plastic cover that is there now.

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
It sounds like you do a lot with your Sport. I'm assuming you took the air dam off. Have you installed any type of plate underneath? I have a 2024 Sport also, with the dam off, but I'm a little concerned about snow and ice in the winter, tearing off the plastic cover that is there now.

Air dam was removed before I picked it up.

I have a Victory 4x4 skid plate on order, waiting for arrival.

ChrisC

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD ORP
This is true , mine were at 50 psi when I brought it home. Only noticed because I was playing with the Toyota app. Actually went to the dealer the next morning asking about the quality of the PDI that was done.
Same here. I made them send me the PDI punch list and low and behold the tire pressure was checked. Made me question every check mark on there and if it was actually inspected. My ride got smoother instantly when put to correct psi.

xraided

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 6MT TRD Sport/06 BSP Xrunner (RIP)
Let me clear this all up, this is a street truck my old 2005 Tacoma X-Runner, a RWD truck specifically built as a "street truck":

DSCN1761.JPG
were you on xrunderground?
Sponsored