Sponsored

Speedometer calibration after tire and wheel size change?

Gff313

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
I am seeing people changing their tire sizes on these new 2024 Tacomas and am wondering how they are calibrating their speedometer’s after the change. Or are they just not doing it?
Sponsored

SR5-GUYS

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 SR5
Hey so I put some 33s on stock wheels and based on gps comparing to my speedometer there has been no difference in speed

COcurmudgeon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma DCSB
I am seeing people changing their tire sizes on these new 2024 Tacomas and am wondering how they are calibrating their speedometer’s after the change. Or are they just not doing it?es
I would imagine the speedometer itself is GPS based and doesn't require recalibration with oversized tires, but any confirmation of this is appreciated 😀

cuechairo

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(TBD) 2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I would imagine the speedometer itself is GPS based and doesn't require recalibration with oversized tires, but any confirmation of this is appreciated 😀
I doubt the speedometer is 100% GPS based, but maybe it can compare the speed based on wheel speed vs. the GPS speed periodically, and re-calibrate itself for a new wheel size?

COcurmudgeon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma DCSB
I doubt the speedometer is 100% GPS based, but maybe it can compare the speed based on wheel speed vs. the GPS speed periodically, and re-calibrate itself for a new wheel size?
You are probably right, if it were 100% GPS based there are probably parts of the planet Tacoma can go that GPS cannot! I like your theory and would not trust the speedometer after installing oversized tires unless it checks out with a third party GPS speed comparison. Fortunately, by the time it becomes relevant for my impoverished needs there will have been many others who have encountered and dealt with this issue already!