TRD Off-Road Configurations

zachroman11

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 LX470, '80 Toyota Pickup, '90 RX-7, '21 MX-5
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've been able to gather so far, the TRDOR is confirmed to not be available with the premium package in a 6 speed manual in Canada. Does anybody have any intel as to whether or not this will carry over into the states as well?
I've got a deposit on one with this configuration, but if Toyota decides against selling the premium in a 6 speed I might just get my money back. I'm dead set on a manual but I want one that's fully loaded.
Any info helps, thanks🙂
Sponsored

Drew

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Niro, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I'm pretty sure there will be a premium package. Look at this link. It's another post on here that shows the options between the sport and off road!

Link: https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/thre...els-trim-packaging-details-canada.1522/page-2
But the screenshots of the vehicle ordering guide mention the manual transmission for TRD Off-Road and TRD Sport+. It's possible that this means all levels of the Off-Road will have a manual option, but calling out the specific TRD Sport package that has it available makes it look like it's only the base Off-Road package that gets it (especially since the Off-Road Premium is detailed separately in the AT options, so you'd think it would be the same in the MT). It'd be nice to see a configurator and be able to really see what can be packaged together, not that the ability to configure something means you'll be able to get one like it.

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
I would just caution that link is for Toyota Canada... which might differ from Toyota US.

Drew

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would just caution that link is for Toyota Canada... which might differ from Toyota US.
Absolutely. We could see entirely different configurations here in the US. But it's all the info we have so far, so it's hard not to use it to speculate. I would assume that the US models will similarly limit the MT to certain trims and options packages, but we might have a few more options.

I also think that, realistically, the way a person's going to get the MT model is to be flexible about what they'll accept, since I don't think they'll make near as many. If you won't buy what your dealer can get, they'll sell it to the next person.

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
Absolutely. We could see entirely different configurations here in the US. But it's all the info we have so far, so it's hard not to use it to speculate. I would assume that the US models will similarly limit the MT to certain trims and options packages, but we might have a few more options.

I also think that, realistically, the way a person's going to get the MT model is to be flexible about what they'll accept, since I don't think they'll make near as many. If you won't buy what your dealer can get, they'll sell it to the next person.
Fair point, and I would go one step further and say that last point of yours applies to everyone looking to buy a Toyota of any kind, period. No build-to-order means you will have to settle for something CLOSE to your perfect build, but likely not exact.

May the Dealer-Installed-Options Gods go easy on us all.

Drew

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fair point, and I would go one step further and say that last point of yours applies to everyone looking to buy a Toyota of any kind, period. No build-to-order means you will have to settle for something CLOSE to your perfect build, but likely not exact.

Yeah...I want an exterior color, rather than grayscale, so I figure I'm going to be ready to accept any of the colors in several configurations. Oh, how I wish they'd let us just configure something and order it.

Tweazus

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cherokee Trailhawk
The one thing i hope is better interior colors for a premium option! nothing wrong with the blue, but I want something that isnt grey

OP
OP
zachroman11

zachroman11

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 LX470, '80 Toyota Pickup, '90 RX-7, '21 MX-5
The one thing i hope is better interior colors for a premium option! nothing wrong with the blue, but I want something that isnt grey
I'm under the impression that white will be an option too. That's my plan for mine

Kampferpower

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rav4 XLE hybrid; 2004 Corolla S
I really hope so. I desperately want a TRDOR premium with a long bed, but it looks like ORs are only offered with the long bed as a base package. I am really interested to see what is going to happen to the packages when they are matched with the IforceMax as I don’t want the only way that you can get a hybrid taco with a long bed and locker is to buy a trailhunter trim.

Last edited:

Kevin Chaos

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2nd generation TRD Off-Road Tacoma

Is this still going to be the case with Toyota? Toyota must be the last company (or close to it) to not allow ordering of desired specifications. Maybe Toyota will finally make that change. I will likely purchase a TRD OR, but really don’t want a 14 inch tablet in the middle of my dash. I also want the driver’s seat to be able to be raised away from the floor.

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
Is this still going to be the case with Toyota? Toyota must be the last company (or close to it) to not allow ordering of desired specifications. Maybe Toyota will finally make that change. I will likely purchase a TRD OR, but really don’t want a 14 inch tablet in the middle of my dash. I also want the driver’s seat to be able to be raised away from the floor.
Hard to say. I have been reading a lot about Toyota's possible plans to get rid of dealers, and if that's the case, I can only see a build-to-order retail model working. Then again, you can effectively get rid of dealers by forcing the payment and financing to be done online, with the dealer being the delivery system. If that happens, the dealers have no one but themselves to blame, really. But good luck getting a deal on a used car if that happens! It's a mess no matter which way it goes.

Kevin Chaos

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2nd generation TRD Off-Road Tacoma
Hard to say. I have been reading a lot about Toyota's possible plans to get rid of dealers, and if that's the case, I can only see a build-to-order retail model working. Then again, you can effectively get rid of dealers by forcing the payment and financing to be done online, with the dealer being the delivery system. If that happens, the dealers have no one but themselves to blame, really. But good luck getting a deal on a used car if that happens! It's a mess no matter which way it goes.
Will the dealerships attempt to give you a bad deal on price if you don’t use their financing (I assume that’s where they make most of their money)? I’d like to just purchase my truck free from the archaic dealership rigmarole.
Sponsored