Sponsored

Wash wisdom / shutter issue -- Touchless? Manual? Hand wash only?

Tacosforall

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2Gen Tacoma DCSB
I owned a 2Gen OR DCSB. Didn’t really worry much about an auto car wash as long as I remembered to remove the antenna. With the 4G, what’s the wisdom on the wash? Touchless? Manual? Hand wash only? I’m mainly concerned about these shutter issues I’ve heard about and the various cameras that, according to the manual, don’t react well to “high pressure water”.
Sponsored

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
The shutter issue is there to stay. Rip off the bandaid or tread lightly around it but realistically a good rainy day will probably do it in.

I've done both manual and automatic and I get a better clean with the manual. The automatic doesn't seem to get it all but I also drive white so it shows every layer of dirt lol

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
I owned a 2Gen OR DCSB. Didn’t really worry much about an auto car wash as long as I remembered to remove the antenna. With the 4G, what’s the wisdom on the wash? Touchless? Manual? Hand wash only? I’m mainly concerned about these shutter issues I’ve heard about and the various cameras that, according to the manual, don’t react well to “high pressure water”.
My advise is to "letter rip" at the car wash. Manual/Automatic or both. Drive it in a thunderstorm. It was engineered to get wet over and over. This coming from someone who didn't even make it long enough to need a car wash. My truck didn't see a drop of water from the time I drove it off the lot. It was sitting in the showroom when I bought it. Grill shutter malfunction 6 days in.

I walked out of Costco, got in and started the truck. About 10 seconds after that the warnings started. This issue is either a manufacturer defect in the shutter assembly or connector that is allowing water to get in where it shouldn't be, or it was improperly installed/connected at the time of assembly.

In other words if your shutter fails there is nothing you could do to make it fail or not.

BMM123

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 now - Sport Premium on order
I've taken mine through a touchless car wash once, hand washed 3 times, driven in heavy rain & snow and I have had no problems with mine... 🤞🤞 hopefully my good fortune will continue

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
I hand wash and always have for the paint. I will power spray wheels, wheel wells and under carriage as needed and the bed. The rest I use the two bucket hand wash method.

I cover the sensor with a ziploc snack sized baggie when I spray it. I will rip the band aid off when they get a handle on how to quickly fix the issue and have the parts available.
Sponsored

Last edited: