Sponsored

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I hope you're wrong because I agree it will be a missed opportunity and a huge shame if it lacks that flexibility. I've also priced out a ZR2 and around $52k gets me all I would want in options but I'd lose the 6' bed and the payload may be a bit of an issue. The ZR2 TFL drove on the Vegas to Reno press event had a payload of 1153 lbs versus the website 1423 lbs which has me a bit concerned; YT video showing ZR2 payload at 19:26 timestamp here.

In any event if the Toyota lacks a ProPower-like capability then I'd fall back to using something like the Anker PowerHouse 767 2400W/2048kWh portable power station; again provided payload doesn't become an issue.

Of course the more radical solution may be to start from a TRD Off Road and spec up from there to get what I want.

Same boat here. I can confirm a fully loaded ZR2 is 1150 lbs payload which is lower than I like.
Don’t forget, if you buy a TRD offroad you might see a 1500 lbs payloads on the sticker (or even less once you add tech and equipment on your order) but once you build it and add rock plates, rock rails, steel bumper like the ZR2, you will be below the ZR2 payload for sure. If you don’t need those, you could easily remove them (rock plates and rock rails) from the ZR2 and sell them and “win” back some payload.
Plus with a TRD offroad you loose the warranty on all the upgraded aftermarket parts.

The only hope is that Toyota stiffened the shocks for the Trailhunter and give it a good GVWR/payload.
Also waiting to see what payload the new Bison offers. And then there is the raptor, which is not bad at 1400lbs but it’s 58K (fully loaded). So you pay 6K more than a fully loaded ZR2 essentially just for more horsepower (and payload..).

If the Tacoma has a poor payload and the Bison as well, I really don’t know where I am heading.
Sponsored

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Same boat here. I can confirm a fully loaded ZR2 is 1150 lbs payload which is lower than I like.
Don’t forget, if you buy a TRD offroad you might see a 1500 lbs payloads on the sticker (or even less once you add tech and equipment on your order) but once you build it and add rock plates, rock rails, steel bumper like the ZR2, you will be below the ZR2 payload for sure. If you don’t need those, you could easily remove them (rock plates and rock rails) from the ZR2 and sell them and “win” back some payload.
Plus with a TRD offroad you loose the warranty on all the upgraded aftermarket parts.

The only hope is that Toyota stiffened the shocks for the Trailhunter and give it a good GVWR/payload.
Also waiting to see what payload the new Bison offers. And then there is the raptor, which is not bad at 1400lbs but it’s 58K (fully loaded). So you pay 6K more than a fully loaded ZR2 essentially just for more horsepower (and payload..).

If the Tacoma has a poor payload and the Bison as well, I really don’t know where I am heading.
Good points on the Off Road vs Trailhunter. While concerned and watching payload I'll be traveling solo and only weigh 140 lbs, so I probably have more margin than many traveling as a couple with associated food, water, and clothing needs and dare I say more US sized than I am. Because of traveling solo I'd keep all the protection goodies as I won't have a spotter in any tricky situations, the under body cameras on ZR2 may be a genuinely useful option in this case. Raptor isn't a good fit for me.

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Good points on the Off Road vs Trailhunter. While concerned and watching payload I'll be traveling solo and only weigh 140 lbs, so I probably have more margin than many traveling as a couple with associated food, water, and clothing needs and dare I say more US sized than I am. Because of traveling solo I'd keep all the protection goodies as I won't have a spotter in any tricky situations, the under body cameras on ZR2 may be a genuinely useful option in this case. Raptor isn't a good fit for me.
Yeah although my wife is 110lbs so it’s not a lot more weight than traveling solo, and our food and clothes is really minimal.
What kills my payload is RTT, steel stuff (plates, bumper..), camping gear and comfort stuff, and also all the toys we brings (packrafts, climbing gear, backpacking gear, etc).

If you travel light the ZR2 is a good package for you. There is a good chance the Trailhunter will be $10K more unfortunately.

WIdirtfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F150, ?2024 Tacoma?
Yeah although my wife is 110lbs so it’s not a lot more weight than traveling solo, and our food and clothes is really minimal.
What kills my payload is RTT, steel stuff (plates, bumper..), camping gear and comfort stuff, and also all the toys we brings (packrafts, climbing gear, backpacking gear, etc).

If you travel light the ZR2 is a good package for you. There is a good chance the Trailhunter will be $10K more unfortunately.
You think the TH is going to eclipse $60k?
is this a gut feeling or have you read something somewhere?

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
You think the TH is going to eclipse $60k?
is this a gut feeling or have you read something somewhere?
No one knows the price but I am confident it will be more than 55K. Think about it: the Ranger Raptor is 58K with shipping and Toyota could argue that their engine has more torque and justify it to be the same “high performance” category.
Additionally, it comes with very expensive third party accessories. On the ZR2, the fancy Desert boss package is $10K for similar equipment (sport rack, steel bumpers…).

A fully loaded ZR2 is 52K, or 60K with the Desert boss package. In my opinion a fully loaded Trailhunter and TRD Pro will be about 60K, unfortunately. It might even be more than that. I suspect the Trailhunter will be more expensive than the TRD pro due to the expensive ARB accessories.

We will see in a few months.

WIdirtfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F150, ?2024 Tacoma?
No one knows the price but I am confident it will be more than 55K. Think about it: the Ranger Raptor is 58K with shipping and Toyota could argue that their engine has more torque and justify it to be the same “high performance” category.
Additionally, it comes with very expensive third party accessories. On the ZR2, the fancy Desert boss package is $10K for similar equipment (sport rack, steel bumpers…).

A fully loaded ZR2 is 52K, or 60K with the Desert boss package. In my opinion a fully loaded Trailhunter and TRD Pro will be about 60K, unfortunately. It might even be more than that. I suspect the Trailhunter will be more expensive than the TRD pro due to the expensive ARB accessories.

We will see in a few months.
I guess time will tell. I was thinking the TH would be cheaper than the TRD Pro but maybe its just wishful thinking on my part haha

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I guess time will tell. I was thinking the TH would be cheaper than the TRD Pro but maybe its just wishful thinking on my part haha
Yeah I hope you are right. If the Trailhunter is affordable and the payload is good I will buy it.

WIdirtfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F150, ?2024 Tacoma?
Yeah I hope you are right. If the Trailhunter is affordable and the payload is good I will buy it.
I mean define affordable lol
I’m thinking base Pro $54,990
Base TH $52,990

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
By affordable I mean close to the competitor ZR2. At 53K I am in, but I think there is no way it costs this low when loaded with option. A fully loaded ZR2 is 52K shipped but is missing the bed rack, the rigid lights, the ARB rear bumper, air compressor, etc.

those accessories when sold by jeep, Ford etc are bout $1000 each or more. Not to mention the existing Tacoma is more expensive than the Chevrolet, there is 0 way the Trailhunter costs 53K similarly equiped to the ZR2 (fully loaded).

chounder

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
I wonder if the Trailhunter will be available with the wireless trailer camera as seen on the TRD Pro example ( the two extra shark fins).

ORD_AZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trucks
I wonder if the Trailhunter will be available with the wireless trailer camera as seen on the TRD Pro example ( the two extra shark fins).
I bet it will be - it'll match up better with GM offerings that way.

cvollers

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Alltrack
If Toyota are smart then they should have made the inverter operate like Ford's ProPower in the F-150 hybrid, i.e. works when vehicle is off but will auto-start the engine to use as a generator to charge up the battery when it gets too low. Much cleaner and more efficient than portable generators too. IIRC the guy on the SUV & Truck YT site actually used the ProPower to operate an air conditioner in an RV trailer, where it operated exactly like this.

My goal is not only to use the inverter for a fridge/freezer but also for a dual induction cooktop. If the inverter operated as above then it might even be used for electric heating in the shoulder or winter seasons, which means eliminating the space, weight and safety issues of propane or the need for a diesel heater. It would also eliminate the need for a portable lithium power station or bothering with solar, again contributing to weight savings in what are likely to be payload constrained vehicles. The only extra fuel that might be needed would then be gas, depending on fuel tank size/range requirements.
My preference is to run an inverter off a house battery and not off anything related to starting the engine. Perhaps Toyota is using the hybrid motor battery for the inverter? That could be interesting as in theory it wouldn’t compromise the gas engine starter battery. Would really like to know the amp-hour rating for that battery.

cvollers

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Alltrack
I guess time will tell. I was thinking the TH would be cheaper than the TRD Pro but maybe its just wishful thinking on my part hahahaha
There is a post on another thread showing TH starting at $52K…more than the Pro. Still unclear how much of the reveal bits are included at that price or even if those numbers are real.
Sponsored