34's - Do you see 8th gear???

Jarhead

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
My truck's on the boat; time to buy wheels/tires. I'm settled on KO3s. Debating 285/70 17 vs 285/75 17 which roughly equates to 33's vs 34's (almost).

I put 315/75 17 (35's...almost) on my Wrangler JLU and only see 8th gear on a downhill highway...briefly. 8th gear is basically gone.

I know there's been people on here that put these on, any first-hand experience? I'd like to avoid a re-gear as that sounds expensive and may introduce other issues/compromises.

I should also say I would be driving on the beach at OBX or Appalachian Mountain fire roads...I don't really need them. They just look so damn good!

Thanks for any help!

-Phil
Sponsored

Last edited:

Discount Tire

ELITE Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All Things Toyota
My truck's on the boat; time to buy wheels/tires. I'm settled on KO3s. Debating 285/70 17 vs 285/75 17 which roughly equates to 33's vs 34's (almost).

I put 315/75 17 (35's...almost) on my Wrangler JLU and only see 8th gear on a downhill highway...briefly. 8th gear is basically gone.

I know there's been people on here that put these on, any first-hand experience? I'd like to avoid a re-gear as that sounds expensive and may introduce other issues/compromises.

I should also say I would be driving on the beach at OBX or Appalachian Mountain fire roads...I don't really need them. They just look so damn good!

Thanks for any help!

-Phil
Congrats on your new Gen4 Tacoma. If you are truly receiving your truck soon, the only available tire size will be the LT285/70R17 in the KO3. Many forum members have already installed this size on factory suspension with no challenges. Good luck with your tire/wheel journey. We are here to help if you need us. (y)

OP
OP

Jarhead

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I've seen you post on this forum from time-to-time; always helpful and knowledgeable. The nearest Discount Tire is an hour from me, but I'll be ordering from you and making the drive. Customer service matters. Also, thanks for offering that Veteran discount!
-Phil

Discount Tire

ELITE Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All Things Toyota
I've seen you post on this forum from time-to-time; always helpful and knowledgeable. The nearest Discount Tire is an hour from me, but I'll be ordering from you and making the drive. Customer service matters. Also, thanks for offering that Veteran discount!
-Phil
Thank you for your service Phil. We love taking care of our Military families and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to get you taken care of. Just shoot us a DM when your ready to move forward.

Tacocho

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to buy a 4th Gen taco soon.

Thanks for any help!

-Phil
I’ve seen a few YouTube videos with people driving these new Tacomas on 35s and they say it handles the power well. Not sure how it’ll affect the gear shifting but these trucks seem to be powerful enough to negate the extra weight of heavy tires.

OP
OP

Jarhead

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Thank you for your service Phil. We love taking care of our Military families and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to get you taken care of. Just shoot us a DM when your ready to move forward.
I’ll do that, thank you!
-Phil
Sponsored