Sponsored

Aftermarket subwoofer upgrade for 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road -- Update: added amp (Kicker key500.1) to power factory subwoofer

jci

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Before I even took delivery of my tacoma, I had plans on installing a 8" shallow mount subwoofer. In the previous 3rd gen tacoma, it looked like it was fairly easy to install a shallow subwoofer behind the rear passenger seat.

Unfortunately, that's not the case with the 4th gen. The bottle jack mount is welded to the seat mount and doesn't have much room for a shallow mount 8" box.

I'm disappointed with the factory JBL subwoofer enclosure. The enclosure has basically no volume to it. Looks like i'll have to find a shop to make me a custom enclosure to replace the factory JBL 10" subwoofer. Any other thoughts/recommendations?

2024 Tacoma Aftermarket subwoofer upgrade for 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road -- Update: added amp (Kicker key500.1) to power factory subwoofer IMG_2820.JPG
2024 Tacoma Aftermarket subwoofer upgrade for 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road -- Update: added amp (Kicker key500.1) to power factory subwoofer IMG_2822.JPG
2024 Tacoma Aftermarket subwoofer upgrade for 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road -- Update: added amp (Kicker key500.1) to power factory subwoofer IMG_2821.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness
Not sure if you found a fix but my initial thoughts are and keep in mind this is with retaining use of existing subwoofer factory wiring..cause if you're open to running new wires then it opens more possibilities like sub under seat but anyway
1. Easy - add the Beat Sonic in dash amp to improve factory system overall volume and bass.

2. Medium - measure space available behind rear seat(s) and try for a low profile wedge shaped pre-built enclosure to replace factory sub.

3. More in depth - make an enclosure to house the factory sub to improves its bass potential or better yet buy a better shallow woofer and make custom enclosure and repurpose that factory bottle jack mount as a mounting stud for your custom sub box. Sure you'd need to find a new home for bottle jack but that's doable I'm sure. If you go this route makes use you double check ohm rating of sub so it pairs well with the JBL signal feed.
Here are a few screen shots of items mentioned in my examples. I'm not dure that the enclosure will fit you'll need to grab a tape measure but they are more examples than anything.
Keep us posted on your progression. I'm waiting on truck to land and I'll be upgrading audio once it does.
Good luck!

2024 Tacoma Aftermarket subwoofer upgrade for 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road -- Update: added amp (Kicker key500.1) to power factory subwoofer Screenshot_20240411-230328_Chrome

2024 Tacoma Aftermarket subwoofer upgrade for 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road -- Update: added amp (Kicker key500.1) to power factory subwoofer Screenshot_20240411-225914_Chrome

2024 Tacoma Aftermarket subwoofer upgrade for 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road -- Update: added amp (Kicker key500.1) to power factory subwoofer Screenshot_20240411-225811_Chrome

OP
OP

jci

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I was able to find a temporary solution that has satisfied my needs for now. I ended up cutting the wires feeding the factory JBL 10" subwoofer and adding in a kicker key500.1 amplifier. Used the factory wiring to get my signal. With both voice coils wired in parallel, I ended up getting around 5.5 ohms from the factory sub. I believe with this setup the kicker amp would be outputting around 150 watts as its closest to the 4 ohms rating. It definitely helps the factory subwoofer hit a lot deeper. I would say its better than having an under the seat powered subwoofer. After adding the amp, I did hear some rattling outside of the truck so I added some sound deadening on the wall. I also mounted the bass knob on the factory blank next to the jellyfish launcher. I've been leaving the knob about half way. I don't have a video of before/after but I'm sure video won't do it justice anyways. I'll wait until someone comes out with a custom enclosures for the 4th gen tacomas to upgrade the subwoofer at this point. I haven't found a enclosure online that will fit without significant cutting. There's only about 4.5-4.75" of clearance down where the seats mount onto, to the wall. The slimmest box I was able to find was still at least 5.5"

2024 Tacoma Aftermarket subwoofer upgrade for 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road -- Update: added amp (Kicker key500.1) to power factory subwoofer IMG_2835.JPG

2024 Tacoma Aftermarket subwoofer upgrade for 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road -- Update: added amp (Kicker key500.1) to power factory subwoofer IMG_2842.JPG

2024 Tacoma Aftermarket subwoofer upgrade for 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road -- Update: added amp (Kicker key500.1) to power factory subwoofer IMG_2844.JPG

2024 Tacoma Aftermarket subwoofer upgrade for 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road -- Update: added amp (Kicker key500.1) to power factory subwoofer IMG_2845.JPG

2024 Tacoma Aftermarket subwoofer upgrade for 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road -- Update: added amp (Kicker key500.1) to power factory subwoofer IMG_2846.JPG

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness
Nicely done. Thanks for the update!

Pops94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 2024 SR5
Before I even took delivery of my tacoma, I had plans on installing a 8" shallow mount subwoofer. In the previous 3rd gen tacoma, it looked like it was fairly easy to install a shallow subwoofer behind the rear passenger seat.

Unfortunately, that's not the case with the 4th gen. The bottle jack mount is welded to the seat mount and doesn't have much room for a shallow mount 8" box.

I'm disappointed with the factory JBL subwoofer enclosure. The enclosure has basically no volume to it. Looks like i'll have to find a shop to make me a custom enclosure to replace the factory JBL 10" subwoofer. Any other thoughts/recommendations?

IMG_2820.JPG
IMG_2822.JPG
IMG_2821.JPG
Let me know when you find something want to upgrade my amp also

OP
OP

jci

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Let me know when you find something want to upgrade my amp also
If you have the factory JBL system, i'd recommend starting with installing a kicker key500.1 to power the factory subwoofer. In my opinion, this setup is going to be more than enough for most people. I typically have my bass knob only turned up half way otherwise the bass kind of overpowers the rest of the mids/highs/vocals. I took a quick clip after work today but i'm not sure how well my iPhone picked up the bass lol.

Duce95

First Name
Big Deezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TRD Offroad
If you have the factory JBL system, i'd recommend starting with installing a kicker key500.1 to power the factory subwoofer. In my opinion, this setup is going to be more than enough for most people. I typically have my bass knob only turned up half way otherwise the bass kind of overpowers the rest of the mids/highs/vocals. I took a quick clip after work today but i'm not sure how well my iPhone picked up the bass lol.

I like that idea. Can you post pics of where you mounted it.

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I like that idea. Can you post pics of where you mounted it.
If you watch the Beatsonic install video, they found plenty of open cavity in the dash when they pulled out the infotainment unit to do the wiring. Guessing this one may fit there as well as long as you do the tuning first.

OP
OP

jci

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I was able to find a temporary solution that has satisfied my needs for now. I ended up cutting the wires feeding the factory JBL 10" subwoofer and adding in a kicker key500.1 amplifier. Used the factory wiring to get my signal. With both voice coils wired in parallel, I ended up getting around 5.5 ohms from the factory sub. I believe with this setup the kicker amp would be outputting around 150 watts as its closest to the 4 ohms rating. It definitely helps the factory subwoofer hit a lot deeper. I would say its better than having an under the seat powered subwoofer. After adding the amp, I did hear some rattling outside of the truck so I added some sound deadening on the wall. I also mounted the bass knob on the factory blank next to the jellyfish launcher. I've been leaving the knob about half way. I don't have a video of before/after but I'm sure video won't do it justice anyways. I'll wait until someone comes out with a custom enclosures for the 4th gen tacomas to upgrade the subwoofer at this point. I haven't found a enclosure online that will fit without significant cutting. There's only about 4.5-4.75" of clearance down where the seats mount onto, to the wall. The slimmest box I was able to find was still at least 5.5"

IMG_2835.JPG

IMG_2842.JPG

IMG_2844.JPG

IMG_2845.JPG

IMG_2846.JPG
I have it mounted under the rear seat in the middle.

Pops94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 2024 SR5

Where did you get the bass knob.

OP
OP

jci

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Where did you get the bass knob.
It’s the kicker CXARC. I just pulled off the knob and there’s a small nut you take off that will allow you to drill a hole into one of the factory blanks and mount it for an oem look.

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
I’m kind of bummed about the lack of storage in the bed now. I have to put my straps under the seat now and I don’t want to remove the piece behind the back seat for the sub because I’ll lose what little storage space is left.

Pops94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 2024 SR5
It’s the kicker CXARC. I just pulled off the knob and there’s a small nut you take off that will allow you to drill a hole into one of the factory blanks and mount it for an oem look.
Thanks is there anything else I need? How did you run the power through firewall hole?

OP
OP

jci

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Thanks is there anything else I need? How did you run the power through firewall hole?
I used a NVX 4 gauge OFC amplifier wiring kit. On the passenger side behind the battery, there’s a factory grommet with a factory wiring harness. I just cut a hole and pulled the wiring through.

OP
OP

jci

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I forgot to mention, I used techstream to disable active noise cancellation. In order to get the kicker key amp to do it's auto DSP programming, it says active noise cancellation must be turned off. I already had the mini vci cable from owning toyotas in the past. I believe you can find the mini vci cable online for around $30-40. You might also be able to get your local dealership to disable the ANC.
Sponsored