CATOY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium and 2007 Sequioa LTD
Blind Spot Monitor
I like having the BSM and have a couple other cars with it. I prefer the system in my 2021 Mercedes GLE450 where it lights up red and makes an audible noise and the one in my 2013 Lexus GS350 that lights up brightly. The one in the Tacoma is not as bright as my others yet I'm glad I have it. I just wish it was a little brighter and made a noise or shook the wheel.

Digital Review Mirror
I chose the premium package mostly for the digital rear view mirror, that said it does take a couple days to get used to and I am currently only using it in the day time as the regular mirror works a lot better at night in my opinion. It nice to look and only see what;s behind you and not who's sitting behind you or the rear window with the smaller opening section. One other draw back is you can't check to see if you have something in your teeth unless you switch it to non-digital mode. The digital mirror probably will not work if install a shell or canopy back there. It also looks like the person behind you is in your bed when they are actually several feet behind.

Backup Cameras
The premium and Off Road model come with numerous view angles. The front and rear cameras each have three different angles and the multi terrain camera allows you to see what's under your car after you have driven a couple feet after turning it on. My camera is set to turn on every time I get below 12MPH which may be a little excessive. It is nice to see how close you stop to those limit lines at a light or stop sign. The rear bed camera is nice to have setup while you are driving so you can press the button and verify your load is still back there while driving. The display stays on for a couple seconds. I also noticed today that you can get a very nice trailer hitch view when you have your tailgate down, just make sure it won't interfere with your trailer. I haven't tried using any of the actual trailer assist or camera angles yet so I can't speak for those.

Full Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control with Lane Departure
This is my favorite and works better than I expected. My 75 mile a day commute is mostly freeway in heavy traffic and my truck does 90% of the drive on it's own. You just set and start it and it will control the gas, brake and steering for you. You need to keep your foot near the brake just in case and touch the steering wheel about every 15 to 20 seconds. The technology is great and I winder how it compares to a Tesla. The only times it doesn't work is when you come up to stop sign or signal so you need to be alert. It would be amazing If it was able to stop without a car in front. The lane departure is pretty good for the most part, it will gently keep you within your lane, i did notice yesterday evening on a 90 mile freeway drive that it likes to try to center towards the right when you are in the slow lane and the entrance and exit lanes are wider than the rest so be careful when you are using it as an office may thing you are drunk.

Road Sign Assist
This feature works as expected and is a nice feature

Automatic High Beams
This is a hit or miss so far as it has mostly activated in neighborhoods and again could get you pulled over for driving with your high beams as officers are probably not keen to this feature yet.

Lots of other features
There are other safety features that I hope I never need like pedestrian and rear traffic alert.
Sponsored

evlfred

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Tundra Plat
if you have someone in your blindspot and the light is on what happens if you activate the turn signal? My wifes Outback beeps an alarm then.

rchrds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Tacoma TRD
Can you turn off the automatic bright/dim headlight? I rent vehicles every month and see variations of the software on this- the best have three settings- the dim, the auto dimming, and bright- the worst have one- where you can't signal by flashing the brights because they wont go bright with a car facing you, just autoselect bright or dim based on conditions. This is also terrible in fog, when it wont stay dim.

iResQ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Limited
Can you turn off the automatic bright/dim headlight? I rent vehicles every month and see variations of the software on this- the best have three settings- the dim, the auto dimming, and bright- the worst have one- where you can't signal by flashing the brights because they wont go bright with a car facing you, just autoselect bright or dim based on conditions. This is also terrible in fog, when it wont stay dim.
Yes, page 237 of the manual.

OP
OP
CATOY

CATOY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if you have someone in your blindspot and the light is on what happens if you activate the turn signal? My wifes Outback beeps an alarm then.
It only blinks, would prefer it to beep or shake the wheel.

OP
OP
CATOY

CATOY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There’s a button where the accessory buttons are in the lower left section near the streering wheel. Only options are on or off. I have been leaving mine on, it doesn’t take much for them to switch to high.

Taco Azul

First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X, Polestar 2, Toyota GR86
…You need to keep your foot near the brake just in case and touch the steering wheel about every 15 to 20 seconds. The technology is great and I winder how it compares to a Tesla…
I drive a Tesla a lot. For all the bad press it gets, Tesla’s Autopilot is pretty great. I had a 2022 Prius Prime and it wasn’t nearly as good. It wouldn’t start again after coming to a stop. And the steering “ping ponged” me a lot within my lane. I hear the new version is better, so I’m anxious to try it.

By the way, a ummmm… friend of mine hangs a 1 lb wrist weight on the steering wheel to avoid the nags every 15 to 20 seconds. He once went 45 minutes without needing to touch the wheel or pedals on a long drive down a straight highway. But I would never recommend this highly illegal and dangerous tactic to anyone else.

OP
OP
CATOY

CATOY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drive a Tesla a lot. For all the bad press it gets, Tesla’s Autopilot is pretty great. I had a 2022 Prius Prime and it wasn’t nearly as good. It wouldn’t start again after coming to a stop. And the steering “ping ponged” me a lot within my lane. I hear the new version is better, so I’m anxious to try it.

By the way, a ummmm… friend of mine hangs a 1 lb wrist weight on the steering wheel to avoid the nags every 15 to 20 seconds. He once went 45 minutes without needing to touch the wheel or pedals on a long drive down a straight highway.
It does not pick up or start again if you are stopped in traffic for more than a couple seconds. It’s pretty good for stop and go traffic. You just need to keep an eye out to make sure it’s active. I’m assuming it would stop if you were about to hit another vehicle, it gets pretty close and I have not chanced it. I know my wife’s Mercedes has a camera that checks to see if you are paying attention and assume our trucks may have something similar.

Tacohunter2024

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 Prime → '24 TRD OR or Sport
I have a 2023 Rav4 Prime with the Premium package; safety sense is one of the reasons I'm sticking with Toyota. Many manufacturers have safety systems to meet federal requirements. Toyota's actually work though, and I rarely feel like they're interfering with my driving.

OP
OP
CATOY

CATOY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2023 Rav4 Prime with the Premium package; safety sense is one of the reasons I'm sticking with Toyota. Many manufacturers have safety systems to meet federal requirements. Toyota's actually work though, and I rarely feel like they're interfering with my driving.
I like the system in the Tacoma, it does do quite a bit of braking or downshifting when everything is turned on. I leave everything on and try to drive with the adaptive cruise control as much as possible. I am very happy with the system so far and it is much better than the one in our 2021 Mercedes. The Mercedes chimes a little too much, can’t go through a drive through without it going crazy and it often chimes and you no idea why.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
It only blinks, would prefer it to beep or shake the wheel.
That's surprising. I've had three vehicles with that feature and all of them yell when you're about to move into an occupied lane. E.g. when there's someone without their lights on in your blind spot.

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road
Blind Spot Monitor
I like having the BSM and have a couple other cars with it. I prefer the system in my 2021 Mercedes GLE450 where it lights up red and makes an audible noise and the one in my 2013 Lexus GS350 that lights up brightly. The one in the Tacoma is not as bright as my others yet I'm glad I have it. I just wish it was a little brighter and made a noise or shook the wheel.

Digital Review Mirror
I chose the premium package mostly for the digital rear view mirror, that said it does take a couple days to get used to and I am currently only using it in the day time as the regular mirror works a lot better at night in my opinion. It nice to look and only see what;s behind you and not who's sitting behind you or the rear window with the smaller opening section. One other draw back is you can't check to see if you have something in your teeth unless you switch it to non-digital mode. The digital mirror probably will not work if install a shell or canopy back there. It also looks like the person behind you is in your bed when they are actually several feet behind.

Backup Cameras
The premium and Off Road model come with numerous view angles. The front and rear cameras each have three different angles and the multi terrain camera allows you to see what's under your car after you have driven a couple feet after turning it on. My camera is set to turn on every time I get below 12MPH which may be a little excessive. It is nice to see how close you stop to those limit lines at a light or stop sign. The rear bed camera is nice to have setup while you are driving so you can press the button and verify your load is still back there while driving. The display stays on for a couple seconds. I also noticed today that you can get a very nice trailer hitch view when you have your tailgate down, just make sure it won't interfere with your trailer. I haven't tried using any of the actual trailer assist or camera angles yet so I can't speak for those.

This is my favorite and works better than I expected. My 75 mile a day commute is mostly freeway in heavy traffic and my truck does 90% of the drive on it's own. You just set and start it and it will control the gas, brake and steering for you. You need to keep your foot near the brake just in case and touch the steering wheel about every 15 to 20 seconds. The technology is great and I winder how it compares to a Tesla. The only times it doesn't work is when you come up to stop sign or signal so you need to be alert. It would be amazing If it was able to stop without a car in front. The lane departure is pretty good for the most part, it will gently keep you within your lane, i did notice yesterday evening on a 90 mile freeway drive that it likes to try to center towards the right when you are in the slow lane and the entrance and exit lanes are wider than the rest so be careful when you are using it as an office may thing you are drunk.

Road Sign Assist
This feature works as expected and is a nice feature

Automatic High Beams
This is a hit or miss so far as it has mostly activated in neighborhoods and again could get you pulled over for driving with your high beams as officers are probably not keen to this feature yet.

Lots of other features
There are other safety features that I hope I never need like pedestrian and rear traffic alert.
Have you noticed if when you are in cruise control and a car is in front of you, that it will come to a complete stop or does it turn off cruise control once you get below a certain speed like the gen 3 with this new toyota safety sense?
Sponsored