Sponsored

Any current or future buyers ask the dealer about upgrading to the 14" head unit?

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I'm awaiting my Sport+ 6M, and it should be coming with the smaller head unit, which is disappointing. The bezel is disproportionate.

Anyone inquire to any dealers yet about if they're able to order the appropriate parts to do a swap and what it would cost?

The potential price on some of these OEM head units makes me nervous, also given the volume buttons are in seperate locations, to make it all much more complex.

It's information I'll be asking upfront on the day it arrives but curious if anyone has yet, I can't possibly live with that smaller head unit, throws the look of the whole interior off.
Sponsored

Tacosyeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
It looks doable from a trim perspective, just a larger drop-in screen and different trim around the vents. It is another question whether it integrates with the dashboard screen since one is smaller than the other. I imagine it would, but you would probably need to know the order of dip switches, etc. I doubt a dealer would do it for you, might need to obtain one separately and install it yourself, but you never know - probably a trial and error of trying different wires/hardware settings on the back. Also, whether the harness is the same between the two and if they include the required connections on both versions. I think you would want to pull out the base one, take a picture of the harness and compare everything to a picture of the harness of the new one. Otherwise, buy it somewhere that has a good return policy.

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
I had to choose heated seats or the 14" screen. My dealer called that the option I chose could not have both of them. That was a month ago.

I chose the heated seats over the 14" screen to keep MSRP in the 44k range for TRD Sport, 6M.

I am finding other 6M TRD Sport in my price range and let my sales guy know to see if he could swap an allocation. So far, he has not been up to par.

Thinking of canceling my allocation order (worried it may be summer before it comes) and trying to grab another 6M TRD Sport from another dealer. Decisions, decisions...

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I had to choose heated seats or the 14" screen. My dealer called that the option I chose could not have both of them. That was a month ago.

I chose the heated seats over the 14" screen to keep MSRP in the 44k range for TRD Sport, 6M.

I am finding other 6M TRD Sport in my price range and let my sales guy know to see if he could swap an allocation. So far, he has not been up to par.

Thinking of canceling my allocation order (worried it may be summer before it comes) and trying to grab another 6M TRD Sport from another dealer. Decisions, decisions...
At least you have decisions! Us peasants *cough* I mean Canadians have the "take it or fuck off" deal. No 14" on the 6M. Annoying to say the least lol

It looks doable from a trim perspective, just a larger drop-in screen and different trim around the vents. It is another question whether it integrates with the dashboard screen since one is smaller than the other. I imagine it would, but you would probably need to know the order of dip switches, etc. I doubt a dealer would do it for you, might need to obtain one separately and install it yourself, but you never know - probably a trial and error of trying different wires/hardware settings on the back. Also, whether the harness is the same between the two and if they include the required connections on both versions. I think you would want to pull out the base one, take a picture of the harness and compare everything to a picture of the harness of the new one. Otherwise, buy it somewhere that has a good return policy.
Thanks for the input. I was fearing how the wiring and how the head unit communicates with the rest of the vehicle would go. Hopefully fingers crossed it'll be a simple plug and play go, if not I'll have to live with it for a bit until we start to see some high end aftermarket units hit the market. It's not the end of the world, afterall lol

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
The smaller screen is bigger than it looks in youtube videos.

IMG_1609.JPG
So it is! It's not really the size that gets me, my Camry is roughly the same size and I don't have complaints. I just wish they spent more time making that bezel look more appealing

tswift

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
So it is! It's not really the size that gets me, my Camry is roughly the same size and I don't have complaints. I just wish they spent more time making that bezel look more appealing
I'd argue they probably spent more time making it unappealing so they could upcharge you.

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I'd argue they probably spent more time making it unappealing so they could upcharge you.
Seeing some of these prices coming from the US especially, I don't doubt that for a sweet second.
Sponsored