Sponsored

Anyone taken a look behind the 8" infotainment system yet? Wondering about adding cameras later

theKurt

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I really doubt anyone has taken apart the dash yet, but I'm curious if there may or may not be additional video inputs on the headunit for future camera additions to the 8" display.

I think all the panoramic and terrain cameras were only available on models with the 14", so unless someone can prove otherwise I'm expecting any camera additions to the smaller display will come in a half-assed aftermarket switching box or something. I've only got the one rear camera coming on my Canadian sport+ 6M, but having (at least) a front camera would be very valuable to me.
Sponsored

OP
OP

theKurt

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Here you go my guy

Wow. Ok. That's a damn good start. Thank you for that!

By the sounds of it, the main head unit is the same for all models and the screen slapped on the front might be the only difference. So, adding things like cameras later might be plug and play.....maybe. I'll have to search out a wiring diagram to make sense of all the plugs. It might even be the same unit in the Tundra. Off to google I go!

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Wow. Ok. That's a damn good start. Thank you for that!

By the sounds of it, the main head unit is the same for all models and the screen slapped on the front might be the only difference. So, adding things like cameras later might be plug and play.....maybe. I'll have to search out a wiring diagram to make sense of all the plugs. It might even be the same unit in the Tundra. Off to google I go!
Kinda off topic but I really like the look of the connection points behind there. Hopefully someone builds a nice rail mount system for that spot.

OP
OP

theKurt

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Kinda off topic but I really like the look of the connection points behind there. Hopefully someone builds a nice rail mount system for that spot.
As it turns out, the head unit seems to have been reused from previous gens, and definitely in the Tundra judging by the rear connectors and such. I have found some aftermarket options (the always on front cam for example) that can be spliced in. I'm hoping to find some harnesses with a little cleaner plug-in-go style. But, since its not at all a one-off, we should expect more and more options for add-ons as time goes by.
Sponsored