Sponsored

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
My apologies for answering the question you literally asked in a thread that I started.

Toyota engineers while spending millions of dollars designing the hybrid system that will be put into countless vehicles and mandatory in all of their top trim products: "Hey guys, don't overthink this! Just try to make sure TFL thinks it feels fast on their 3 minute test drive and we'll be good!"
Actually they probably knew it didn't "feel fast" in the first 10 seconds the next 3 minutes were spent getting back to the starting point. I do think the hybrid will help with towing (although it is rated to tow less than the non hybrid because of that pesky battery and motor weight). No need to apologize. My opinion doesn't matter. If you like the hybrid and think it's the best option for you then you should buy one. I bought what I felt was the best option for me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
North

North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Lexus LX470. 2022 Can Am Commander XT-P Max
Actually they probably knew it didn't "feel fast" in the first 10 seconds the next 3 minutes were spent getting back to the starting point. I do think the hybrid will help with towing (although it is rated to tow less than the non hybrid because of that pesky battery and motor weight). No need to apologize. My opinion doesn't matter. If you like the hybrid and think it's the best option for you then you should buy one. I bought what I felt was the best option for me.
I was trying to explain the benefits of the hybrid outside of acceleration (because you asked) and you TLDRed me. I couldn't care less if people get hybrids or not. I have owned one hybrid and about 15 non hybrids. Had you asked "what are the benefits of a non-hybrid?" I would have some thoughts there too (less complexity, no pricey drive battery, higher towing, no potential for water infiltration). There are pros and cons to everything. Your opinion does matter if you want to actually engage in a conversation and not just assume just because I'm trying to explain my understanding of the benefits of these hybrids (which I'll admit, are sort of confusing when we usually equate hybrids with MPG) that I'm being dismissive of your opinion or beliefs.

Last edited:

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was trying to explain the benefits of the hybrid outside of acceleration (because you asked) and you TLDRed me. I couldn't care less if people get hybrids or not. I have owned one hybrid and about 15 non hybrids. Had you asked "what are the benefits of a non-hybrid?" and I would have some thoughts there too (less complexity, no pricey drive battery, higher towing, no potential for water infiltration). There are pros and cons to everything. Your opinion does matter if you want to actually engage in a conversation and not just assume just because I'm trying to explain my understanding of the benefits of these hybrids (which I'll admit, are sort of confusing when we usually equate hybrids with MPG) that I'm being dismissive of your opinion or beliefs.
Ok fair enough. Yes I think most people equate "hybrid" with MPG and to some extent increased performance. In the Tacoma's case it seems on the surface to offer modest amounts of both. I went back and read your previous post. I can appreciate some of the benefits you mention. That being said and as you point out MPG is traditionally the advantage that sells a buyer on a hybrid vehicle.

Unfortunately that advantage seems small. That leaves the other popular expectation of increased performance. On paper the hybrid looks like it should offer that in abundance. (48 HP electric motor with well over 100 ft/lb more torque all things being equal should make a substantial difference in how the truck moves and maybe it does.

I know TFL's drive was short and not a full test of the hybrid's capability but on the subject of MPG and performance it didn't seem like they were too excited with either. I don't think they really have a dog in this fight and seem to just react to what they were feeling. Again, I'm not ignoring your explanation of other hybrid benefits. I just think on the Tacoma specifically the MPG/performance metrics are less than I personally expected. Maybe that will change when more in depth testing is available. Regardless, I didn't mean to upset or offend you and I apologize if I did.

JakeJoeBob

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
This one wasn't so gushing of a review. More of a "it's ok" impressions of the i-Force Max powertrain.
Weight gain is substantial with the Hybrid.

I trust The Topher who drives all kinds of cars and trucks of different price brackets more than I trust the TFL guys who just do well Trucks lol

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I trust The Topher who drives all kinds of cars and trucks of different price brackets more than I trust the TFL guys who just do well Trucks lol
Except they don’t just do trucks…

They review everything from V-8 muscle cars to BEV’s. 😉

JakeJoeBob

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner

Lonewolf90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I'm looking at getting the Offroad Hybrid and this will be my third Toyota Hybrid. My original one, 2012 Camry Hybrid with 193k miles still has the original batteries and runs like a charm. There are so many more advantages that people don't speak of and that is overall maintenance. When you look at a Hybrid, it doesn't have your typical drive belts meaning it is electric and you have less moving parts causing less wear and tear.

In addition to the engine, you also have to consider the regenerating brakes meaning you have to replace your brakes less often. In my case I've only replaced my front brakes as of recently. Another plus is your aux battery. Since it is inside your vehicle, it isn't exposed to the elements and last a lot longer. It might be just my luck but I didn't replace it until last year and that was only because I felt it was time and not because it was having issues.

I'm keeping an eye on my Hybrid battery but so far my mpg is still around 37mpg and I can get a refurbished setup for $1800.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
When you look at a Hybrid, it doesn't have your typical drive belts meaning it is electric and you have less moving parts causing less wear and tear...In addition to the engine, you also have to consider the regenerating brakes meaning you have to replace your brakes less often. In my case I've only replaced my front brakes as of recently. Another plus is your aux battery. Since it is inside your vehicle, it isn't exposed to the elements and last a lot longer...I'm keeping an eye on my Hybrid battery but so far my mpg is still around 37mpg and I can get a refurbished setup for $1800.
These are good points, the NiMH is well tested and performs in all conditions. So when I hear people say they might as well get an R1T instead of a Tacoma iForceMax, I say good luck to you, and see you next summer because the reliability of a purely BEV doing lengthy wintertime storm chases is pretty much out of the question. If you got range anxiety on a 18.2 gallon tank, just wait for that frozen-solid bricked li-ion BEV truck to warm up on a -10 deg day, nuking sideways ❄🤙🏽

The new solid state battery tech is on the horizon, Toyota has the most patents, hell, the removable dash speaker is a solid state battery. Once it makes its way into their hybrid powertrains, things will get really interesting on the efficiency side of things. $2K for a replacement hybrid pack sounds reseaonable. I have a power station with comparable wattage (@ 1.4 kWh), -that pack is a lithium solid state battery standalone system for ~$1,800, it'll be interesting to see how well it performs being daisy-chained to the TH invertor.

All this talk about a Cybertruck or F-150 lighting powering your house in the event of an outage...I'll have that capability with a taco TH generator mode, AND 600w solar imbedded into the roof of an RTT wedge AND I'll NEVER pull from or require the grid to be mobile so ya...iForceMax vs standard iForce has potential beyond increased horses & MPGs

Last edited:

Lonewolf90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
These are good points, the NiMH is well tested and performs in all conditions. So when I hear people say they might as well get an R1T instead of a Tacoma iForceMax, I say good luck to you, and see you next summer because the reliability of a purely BEV doing lengthy wintertime storm chases is pretty much out of the question. If you got range anxiety on a 18.2 gallon tank, just wait for that frozen-solid bricked li-ion BEV truck to warm up on a -10 deg day, nuking sideways ❄🤙🏽
Exactly at that is if you have power to charge your truck. It's an amazing technology and I trust it, not only because I have the experience with it but I grew up at Toyota with my dad working over 39 years with them. I saw the first Hybrid come out in the 2000's. I sometimes think that people forget what Toyota does, they don't strive to hit the top numbers, they strive for reliability. They don't care about keeping up with Jones, that is what Lexus is for. They use those lower volume vehicles to try out their newest ideas, vetting it and then bringing it down the rest of the line.
Sponsored