Sponsored

kelsen

First Name
Kelsen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Hey y’all. Recently picked up a TRDOR in Muncie, Indiana and then drove it back to Texas ~1250 miles. Below are some on my impressions and feelings on the newest Tacoma. I also have a few other thoughts I’ve posted over on reddit under the name Modprop.

For starters, I am coming from a 2015 Nissan Versa, so literally everything is a positive to me even if it’s a negative.

Truck info:

I was specifically only looking for the 14” screen and the SDM, but couldn’t find one that had both for the price I wanted to pay. I settled for just the screen and figured I can remove the sway bar later on, so no real loss to me on that front. I also have heated seats (but I’m from Texas, so that’s only useful for maybe 3 weeks a year.) Other than that, the truck is as bare bones as can be.

Driving Experience:

I’ve ridden around in numerous 2nd and 3rd gens that friends have owned over the years, never driven them before though. Off the bat, this is one of the best vehicles I have driven, the response is nice, the safety features are overall unobtrusive, and the ride is smooth and comfortable. There’s a little road noise, but nothing a little extra volume on the knob can’t fix.

Suspension wise, those Bilsteins just eat what you throw at them. I’m eventually gonna put them through their off road paces, but eventually I’ll remove these and put some heavy load OME or something on it.

4 Wheel disc brakes are great. Thank you Toyota for joining us all in the present. Sorry to people who like rear drums.

Those 265s look way better in person than in videos and pictures. They look so tiny in media, but actually fill the space nicely in person. I’ll run these for a while, but eventually I’ll step up to 35” and a re-gear on the transmission.

Now for the big part: The turbo 4 banger. I love the way this thing sounds winding up. I sounds like a little baby diesel, and it’s very cute. It’s got some haul-ass to it, but like others have said, that turbo-lag can be a little buzzkill. I put pedal to metal a couple times on the trip, and the ramp up was jarring every time. Such is life with a side mounted vegetable slicer. Gas mileage is weird, your tank is going to base it off the total average mileage of the vehicle, so I suggest you reset all that in your settings prior to your first real fill up to get a more accurate idea of what your miles to empty will be. I averaged 21.7 HWY at 78mph average speed from Lake Charles, LA to Houston, TX. Not great, just so-so. I’m gonna keep figuring it out, because I feel like it will get better as I learn how to drive it more efficiently.

Interior:

I’ll keep this short.

Cockpit - Great. Driver and Passenger will live in the lap of luxury. I personally love the look and feel of it.

Rear seat - If you have short friends and family, they’ll be fine. If you have friends over 5’10” and you make them sit in the back, you either hate them or you’re a sadist. The rear sucks. I know it’s a midsize, but damn.

The storage under the backseat is really nice. Great addition, sorry to all of y’all that buy hybrids. You’re gonna lose that.

Exterior:

I like the look. This is so subjective that I honestly can’t take anyone’s opinions on it. You’ll either like, you don’t and won’t like it, or it will grow on you. I’m gonna add some accessories/body parts for overlanding and moderate trails as time goes on.

Mechanical/DIY:

A couple screws to get the bash plate off to access the oil pan/filter. Nothing crazy. Filter is easily accessible out the front of the block. Doing my first oil change this weekend, will let you know if it’s as easy as I am making it sound.

Engine Bay is nice and open. Will be a pretty easy vehicle to work on for pros and DIYers from the looks.

Final Thoughts:

I like the truck, but I’ll do a one month, six month, and one year check-in as time goes on.

If y’all got any questions, or want specific pictures, let me know. I try to be pretty open about how I feel about the truck and I’ll try to be quick with answering questions and requests.

Thanks for y’all’s time!

2024 Tacoma 2024 TRD Off-Road 5’ Owner Impressions / Review after 1250 mile maiden delivery road trip IMG_2741
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mackieallan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ranger
Grats and great review! When I saw your location and that picture there was cognitive dissonance before reading your post.

Did you do the drive back to TX straight shot or piecemeal? Can you share your MPG in this thread and tell us which drive mode you used?

OP
OP
kelsen

kelsen

First Name
Kelsen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grats and great review! When I saw your location and that picture there was cognitive dissonance before reading your post.

Did you do the drive back to TX straight shot or piecemeal? Can you share your MPG in this thread and tell us which drive mode you used?
I did the trip in 2 days. First Day was Muncie, IN to New Orleans, LA with stops in Louisville, KY, Nashville, TN, and Meridian, MS. Part two was New Orleans back to Houston. And I'll definitely post the gas mileage.

Johnny919

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep grand cherokee
Thanks for the review and congrats! Does the large screen stick over the dash at all and block your view? I'm curious compared to the smaller screen, and if you've sat in a new tacoma with it. I'm on the shorter side at 5'7" so anyone's input with the view with the larger screen would be appreciated.

OP
OP
kelsen

kelsen

First Name
Kelsen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the review and congrats! Does the large screen stick over the dash at all and block your view? I'm curious compared to the smaller screen, and if you've sat in a new tacoma with it. I'm on the shorter side at 5'7" so anyone's input with the view with the larger screen would be appreciated.
It does not block the overall view from the drivers seat. It's actually really impressive how it sits sorta flush with the top of the dash. And having seen enough photos and videos of the dash with the 8" screen, spend the extra money and get the 14". The 8" just looks all kinds of wrong in the space.

Mpaint1982

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango GT Plus
Hey y’all. Recently picked up a TRDOR in Muncie, Indiana and then drove it back to Texas ~1250 miles. Below are some on my impressions and feelings on the newest Tacoma. I also have a few other thoughts I’ve posted over on reddit under the name Modprop.

For starters, I am coming from a 2015 Nissan Versa, so literally everything is a positive to me even if it’s a negative.

Truck info:

I was specifically only looking for the 14” screen and the SDM, but couldn’t find one that had both for the price I wanted to pay. I settled for just the screen and figured I can remove the sway bar later on, so no real loss to me on that front. I also have heated seats (but I’m from Texas, so that’s only useful for maybe 3 weeks a year.) Other than that, the truck is as bare bones as can be.

Driving Experience:

I’ve ridden around in numerous 2nd and 3rd gens that friends have owned over the years, never driven them before though. Off the bat, this is one of the best vehicles I have driven, the response is nice, the safety features are overall unobtrusive, and the ride is smooth and comfortable. There’s a little road noise, but nothing a little extra volume on the knob can’t fix.

Suspension wise, those Bilsteins just eat what you throw at them. I’m eventually gonna put them through their off road paces, but eventually I’ll remove these and put some heavy load OME or something on it.

4 Wheel disc brakes are great. Thank you Toyota for joining us all in the present. Sorry to people who like rear drums.

Those 265s look way better in person than in videos and pictures. They look so tiny in media, but actually fill the space nicely in person. I’ll run these for a while, but eventually I’ll step up to 35” and a re-gear on the transmission.

Now for the big part: The turbo 4 banger. I love the way this thing sounds winding up. I sounds like a little baby diesel, and it’s very cute. It’s got some haul-ass to it, but like others have said, that turbo-lag can be a little buzzkill. I put pedal to metal a couple times on the trip, and the ramp up was jarring every time. Such is life with a side mounted vegetable slicer. Gas mileage is weird, your tank is going to base it off the total average mileage of the vehicle, so I suggest you reset all that in your settings prior to your first real fill up to get a more accurate idea of what your miles to empty will be. I averaged 21.7 HWY at 78mph average speed from Lake Charles, LA to Houston, TX. Not great, just so-so. I’m gonna keep figuring it out, because I feel like it will get better as I learn how to drive it more efficiently.

Interior:

I’ll keep this short.

Cockpit - Great. Driver and Passenger will live in the lap of luxury. I personally love the look and feel of it.

Rear seat - If you have short friends and family, they’ll be fine. If you have friends over 5’10” and you make them sit in the back, you either hate them or you’re a sadist. The rear sucks. I know it’s a midsize, but damn.

The storage under the backseat is really nice. Great addition, sorry to all of y’all that buy hybrids. You’re gonna lose that.

Exterior:

I like the look. This is so subjective that I honestly can’t take anyone’s opinions on it. You’ll either like, you don’t and won’t like it, or it will grow on you. I’m gonna add some accessories/body parts for overlanding and moderate trails as time goes on.

Mechanical/DIY:

A couple screws to get the bash plate off to access the oil pan/filter. Nothing crazy. Filter is easily accessible out the front of the block. Doing my first oil change this weekend, will let you know if it’s as easy as I am making it sound.

Engine Bay is nice and open. Will be a pretty easy vehicle to work on for pros and DIYers from the looks.

Final Thoughts:

I like the truck, but I’ll do a one month, six month, and one year check-in as time goes on.

If y’all got any questions, or want specific pictures, let me know. I try to be pretty open about how I feel about the truck and I’ll try to be quick with answering questions and requests.

Thanks for y’all’s time!

IMG_2741.jpeg
Good review on all aspects! Looking forward to your future reviews and the oil change info! Have a great weekend!

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Trust me, you want that 14 inch. Maps and the offroad camera look amazing on the Tundras screen. I imagine this will be no different

rmerida

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD-Offroad
Purchased from Muncie as well. Actually sat in your exact truck the morning it came off the hauler. Coming from a 3rd gen I’m excited for the updates and looking forward to receiving mine. Small world!

OP
OP
kelsen

kelsen

First Name
Kelsen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Purchased from Muncie as well. Actually sat in your exact truck the morning it came off the hauler. Coming from a 3rd gen I’m excited for the updates and looking forward to receiving mine. Small world!
extremely small!! haha i picked it up off of Devin, apparently i called in about purchasing two days after one of the service guys had passed up on it. i chalked it up to fate

rmerida

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD-Offroad
Very cool! Really like everyone I have dealt with there. Enjoy the new ride and jealous as I’ll have to wait another month or so!

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
It does not block the overall view from the drivers seat. It's actually really impressive how it sits sorta flush with the top of the dash. And having seen enough photos and videos of the dash with the 8" screen, spend the extra money and get the 14". The 8" just looks all kinds of wrong in the space.
That screen looks ripe for the storage organizer (like the one I got for my wife's Sienna):

2024 Tacoma 2024 TRD Off-Road 5’ Owner Impressions / Review after 1250 mile maiden delivery road trip 1708612219748

Although it doesn't look like it will be very deep.

OP
OP
kelsen

kelsen

First Name
Kelsen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That screen looks ripe for the storage organizer (like the one I got for my wife's Sienna):

1708612219748.png

Although it doesn't look like it will be very deep.
i'll have to go an measure it, but there's a bit of space there. the one downside to this design i see, is that on the passenger side of the 14" screen is an extra USB-C port that lets your passenger princess plug their phone in and use the Carplay/Android Auto features without having to connect their phone to the system. i'd buy this tray and make a small cutout on the side for it though.
Sponsored