Sponsored

gak_pdx

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra, 2023 Corolla Cross, 2023 Audi Q5
Was on the hunt for an Off Road Premium, but they appear to be basically impossible to get a hole of. Needing to get out of my Audi before the value plumetts even further (panic buy for a new job with lots of driving in 2022), I found an Off Road with the Upgrade Pack, Moonroof, and 14" screen just sitting on a dealer lot here in Portland. Apparently, someone with a deposit backed out when it arrived - it was available for a total of about an hour before I got there and snagged it.

Toyota History- 4th Gen 4 Runner, 5th Gen 4 Runner, FJ Cruiser, and currently own a 2003 Tundra. Wife drives a 2022 Corolla Cross.

So Far?

Overall, this is a huge winner for Toyota.
Way more comfortable than the previous gen Tacoma. My job has me running 4 states, so lots of driving - the old Tacoma would have been a punishment box. This one? Comfortable, composed, quiet. Totally ready to eat up road miles.

Like:
- The tech is pretty excellent. Safety Sense 3.0 is everything I would want out of the newfangled autonomous driving technologies.
- Both myself and the wife thought the 14" screen was going to be dumb. Now I probably can't go back to a tiny screen. She decided she likes it as well.
- Handles better than anything this capable off road should. Is it my Audi? No. But my previous Toyota trucks were precarious - one of my most fond memories from a couple of years ago was the Deadman curves on I84 in my 174k mile 4 Runner; slightly terrifying. This? Will be perfectly fine, though probably not exactly "fun."
- It is neat to get stopped once a day by someone and asked to see the New Tacoma. This area (south of Portland, OR) is absolutely Tacoma country, so lots of folks are extremely excited to see the new one. That'll wear off, but it is amusing for the next couple of weeks.

Regret:
- The Premium Pack is kind of the way to go. All the tech you saw in the YouTube reviews - power tailgate, the camera system, the advanced trailer stuff - all of those things are Premium features. I thought the Upgrade pack would go a long way towards all that, but nope. Can't say any of it would have been worth the money - I had to get the rear power window for the dog though.
- I picked this up in the Portland Spring Teaser Season, where the rain is on and off in the craziest ways. That is when I realized these don't have auto sensing wipers. WTF? The thing is festooned with cameras/sensors, but Toyota couldn't pitch in the extra $0.50?

I won't be modding it beyond replacing the stock tires with KO3s when they wear out, and probably a set of dedicated snow wheels/tires for dealing with getting on/off our giant hill driveway.

Only minor things are I need some rear seat covers or a rear seat delete kit (see: dog above). If I could find a way to hack the backup camera to come on with a switch, that would be sweet.

Totally happy with it so far!

2024 Tacoma Got my 2024 Off-Road w/ Upgrade Pack, Multimedia and Moonroof. Owner's Review So Far... IMG_0349
Sponsored

Tacanta14

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BD Hardtop 4Dr 2.3 MT
Nice score, and congrats! I need to delete the rear seat as well, and don't necessarily need a kit, as I would just build a platform for my 100 lb Pittie/Mastiff, but I have yet to see anything about deleting the rear seat in a '24 Taco! Also plan on an OR w/6' bed and $4700 upgrade, which has everything I want/need and really nothing I dont!

gofastdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Tacoma OR, '08 Mazda MX-5, '20 Volvo V60
Congrats on the purchase. I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I really wanted the premium package but couldn't find one, especially with the 6' bed that to me is mandatory, so I'll live with the upgrade package instead and use the saved money on wheels and tires.... ;o)

I'm assuming this company will have a solution shortly for the switched backup camera with the added bonus of a front camera install which is one of the things I would want the premium package for.

I've emailed them to find out when they think they'll have a solution for us but have yet to hear back. One (ahem) benefit of NOT having the premium package is that the solution wouldn't work with the 360 degree cameras the premium has but should work with the upgrade package. There is an option to add side view cameras but I'll probably just stick with the front camera and ability to switch between front and back.

OP
OP

gak_pdx

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra, 2023 Corolla Cross, 2023 Audi Q5
I'm assuming this company will have a solution shortly for the switched backup camera with the added bonus of a front camera install which is one of the things I would want the premium package for.
Is there a camera upfront already they would tap into? I figured Safety Sense 3.0 might have one they can just grab off the bus instead of needing to install one.

gofastdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Tacoma OR, '08 Mazda MX-5, '20 Volvo V60
Is there a camera upfront already they would tap into? I figured Safety Sense 3.0 might have one they can just grab off the bus instead of needing to install one.
I'm still waiting for my truck (it's somewhere between San Diego and Seattle) but from everything I've seen, at least in the TRD OR trim, only the premium package has a front camera. Safety Sense uses a variety of sensors but a camera isn't one of them.

M40A1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD
Was on the hunt for an Off Road Premium, but they appear to be basically impossible to get a hole of. Needing to get out of my Audi before the value plumetts even further (panic buy for a new job with lots of driving in 2022), I found an Off Road with the Upgrade Pack, Moonroof, and 14" screen just sitting on a dealer lot here in Portland. Apparently, someone with a deposit backed out when it arrived - it was available for a total of about an hour before I got there and snagged it.

Toyota History- 4th Gen 4 Runner, 5th Gen 4 Runner, FJ Cruiser, and currently own a 2003 Tundra. Wife drives a 2022 Corolla Cross.

So Far?

Overall, this is a huge winner for Toyota. Way more comfortable than the previous gen Tacoma. My job has me running 4 states, so lots of driving - the old Tacoma would have been a punishment box. This one? Comfortable, composed, quiet. Totally ready to eat up road miles.

Like:
- The tech is pretty excellent. Safety Sense 3.0 is everything I would want out of the newfangled autonomous driving technologies.
- Both myself and the wife thought the 14" screen was going to be dumb. Now I probably can't go back to a tiny screen. She decided she likes it as well.
- Handles better than anything this capable off road should. Is it my Audi? No. But my previous Toyota trucks were precarious - one of my most fond memories from a couple of years ago was the Deadman curves on I84 in my 174k mile 4 Runner; slightly terrifying. This? Will be perfectly fine, though probably not exactly "fun."
- It is neat to get stopped once a day by someone and asked to see the New Tacoma. This area (south of Portland, OR) is absolutely Tacoma country, so lots of folks are extremely excited to see the new one. That'll wear off, but it is amusing for the next couple of weeks.

Regret:
- The Premium Pack is kind of the way to go. All the tech you saw in the YouTube reviews - power tailgate, the camera system, the advanced trailer stuff - all of those things are Premium features. I thought the Upgrade pack would go a long way towards all that, but nope. Can't say any of it would have been worth the money - I had to get the rear power window for the dog though.
- I picked this up in the Portland Spring Teaser Season, where the rain is on and off in the craziest ways. That is when I realized these don't have auto sensing wipers. WTF? The thing is festooned with cameras/sensors, but Toyota couldn't pitch in the extra $0.50?

I won't be modding it beyond replacing the stock tires with KO3s when they wear out, and probably a set of dedicated snow wheels/tires for dealing with getting on/off our giant hill driveway.

Only minor things are I need some rear seat covers or a rear seat delete kit (see: dog above). If I could find a way to hack the backup camera to come on with a switch, that would be sweet.

Totally happy with it so far!

IMG_0349.jpeg
Your comment about the “rear seat delete kit,” is this a thing and if so, do you know who may be making these? Nice truck and nice scenery!!

EchoTango

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bus
Congrats on the new truck. I’m located in the Portland Metro area as well. Did Tonkin charge over MSRP?

I have a deposit on a Ranger Raptor, that is supposed to arrive this week. If that deal falls through, I may be in hunt for a Tacoma Hybrid Off Road when they become available.
Sponsored