Currently Jeep JT Gladiator

JakeJoeBob

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Man, Motortrend wrote an article that talked about chevy almost more than it talked about the Tacoma. What enthusiast would want auto 4wd? I don't want another system telling me when I can and can't use my transfer case. I agree about being able to lock the diff anytime though. Full time awd is an option on limited for those who really want that, was that not taken into account when writing this article? Really disappointed with Motortrend here.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Man, Motortrend wrote an article that talked about chevy almost more than it talked about the Tacoma. What enthusiast would want auto 4wd? I don't want another system telling me when I can and can't use my transfer case. I agree about being able to lock the diff anytime though. Full time awd is an option on limited for those who really want that, was that not taken into account when writing this article? Really disappointed with Motortrend here.
As I read it, they weren't saying they wanted full time Auto 4wd. They said the truck should have an Auto 4wd option. I.e: 2hi, 4hi, 4lo & Auto. Tacoma doesn't have that. At its price, it should. Auto is super useful if driving when the road has random slippery sections. I had Auto in my previous truck, but my current Ranger doesn't have it and I sorely miss it. Now when I do my winter mountain driving I have to keep one hand constantly on the selector knob and the instant I feel wheel spin, I switch to 4wd. Then I switch back to 2hi, because the road is dry.......then I hit a slushy section and switch to 4wd.....then back to 2....then 4......
It's a real pain in the ass...and stressful. Auto 4wd makes the drive so much better.

JakeJoeBob

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
As I read it, they weren't saying they wanted full time Auto 4wd. They said the truck should have an Auto 4wd option. I.e: 2hi, 4hi, 4lo & Auto. Tacoma doesn't have that. At its price, it should. Auto is super useful if driving when the road has random slippery sections. I had Auto in my previous truck, but my current Ranger doesn't have it and I sorely miss it. Now when I do my winter mountain driving I have to keep one hand constantly on the selector knob and the instant I feel wheel spin, I switch to 4wd. Then I switch back to 2hi, because the road is dry.......then I hit a slushy section and switch to 4wd.....then back to 2....then 4......
It's a real pain in the ass...and stressful. Auto 4wd makes the drive so much better.
Oh I see, I misunderstood how that works. I have a V8 4runner right now with full time 4WD so it's not something I really think about so maybe I will eat my words when I get my hands on the Taco :)

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Oh I see, I misunderstood how that works. I have a V8 4runner right now with full time 4WD so it's not something I really think about so maybe I will eat my words when I get my hands on the Taco :)
can confirm. I currently have 4A and use it all the time especially when it snows and you have patch of snow everywhere but still mixed pavement with no snow. Invaluable and I am still considering buying something else than the Taco in part because of this, especially when they charge much more than the competition.
Truly unacceptable. And I could not care less about the limited trim, like many here I am here for the Trailhunter/TRD Pro. It’s mind boggling why they would not include it on those trims that will cost much more than the limited anyway

FirstTimeTruckBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
can confirm. I currently have 4A and use it all the time especially when it snows and you have patch of snow everywhere but still mixed pavement with no snow. Invaluable and I am still considering buying something else than the Taco in part because of this, especially when they charge much more than the competition.
Truly unacceptable. And I could not care less about the limited trim, like many here I am here for the Trailhunter/TRD Pro. It’s mind boggling why they would not include it on those trims that will cost much more than the limited anyway
CVT issues aside, that’s one thing I really like about my current vehicle (Subaru). I owned a 2006 Grand Cherokee 5.7L several years ago and it also had full-time 4H, but also selectable 4L (with electronic locking diffs front and rear). Even on wet roads, having full-time 4WD (or AWD) is great because there’s virtually no wheel spin when accelerating from a dead stop, especially when turning or going up a steep hilly road. And during the winter, when there’s patches of dry and slick areas of pavement, full-time 4WD really puts my mind at ease. I was really surprised when I learned that only the Limited trim on the new Tacoma will have full-time 4WD, especially at the higher price point. If they offer it on one trim, why not make it at least an option on the other trims? I think Toyota really missed the mark here on an otherwise fantastic truck. Shame.

iResQ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Limited
Why limit rear lock to 4L? Probably because of the number of people who are not familiar will lock on snowy/icy roads (particularly with a crown) and end up in a ditch. My Jeep has lockers front/rear. The only time I used them is offroad and the occasional rear lock for donuts. Mmm, donuts.

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Silverado, 14 JKUR
I fully agree- the Auto setting is super useful- My current truck lacks 4L, but I doubt I'll ever miss it (its a daily/tow rig). I'm assuming the Tacoma is using a BW t-case, like the Tundra

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Why limit rear lock to 4L? Probably because of the number of people who are not familiar will lock on snowy/icy roads (particularly with a crown) and end up in a ditch. My Jeep has lockers front/rear. The only time I used them is offroad and the occasional rear lock for donuts. Mmm, donuts.
yeah rear locker in 4L only also sucks, I have used it in 4H a few times but I could live with that.
The omission of 4A though….

ToYoTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Toyota RAV4
I forget which TFL Vid it was recently posted in.. but I'm pretty sure the drive mode dial in the ICE powered Limited was 2Hi, 4Hi, 4Lo.. it flashes by pretty quickly. I think only the Limited Hybrid is getting the Permanent Full-Time 4WD.. the operative word being permanent in this case not Full-Time. Toyota seems to persist with a more traditional 2 speed transfer case sans an electronic clutch pack a la Ford F150 Lariat and up.. Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and up. So the Limited Hybrid will be like the Limited 4Runner, Permanent Full-Time 4WD with the dial displaying H4F, H4L and L4L no 2 wheel drive option.. also what it will be in the upcoming 250 Series Land Cruiser. I recall reading that it will be a 2 speed transfer case with and Torsen C Type LSD, with a permanent 40/60 front to rear torque split.

FirstTimeTruckBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
I forget which TFL Vid it was recently posted in.. but I'm pretty sure the drive mode dial in the ICE powered Limited was 2Hi, 4Hi, 4Lo.. it flashes by pretty quickly. I think only the Limited Hybrid is getting the Permanent Full-Time 4WD..
Are you sure it’s just the hybrid Limited that gets full-time 4WD? According to Toyota, the ICE version is equipped with it too:

https://www.toyota.com/tacoma/features/

Edit: I just noticed that “AWD” is listed for the hybrid Limited. But both show full-time 4WD. Interesting…

2024 Tacoma Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger: Our First Test of the 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road (Motortrend Review) IMG_0460

ToYoTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Toyota RAV4
Are you sure it’s just the hybrid Limited that gets full-time 4WD? According to Toyota, the ICE version is equipped with it too:

https://www.toyota.com/tacoma/features/

Edit: I just noticed that “AWD” is listed for the hybrid Limited. But both show full-time 4WD. Interesting…

IMG_0460.png
2024 Tacoma Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger: Our First Test of the 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road (Motortrend Review) IMG_0191

That’s a bad quality capture from that vid I mentioned.. interior shot from 24 Limited ICE powered. Right to left 2H, 4H, 4L… though maybe my eyes are bad haha. So yeah, I’m not really sure what to say! Haha.. maybe the Toyota US website has a typo?
Sponsored