HVAC whistling sound

OP
OP

trey_is_a_jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I have the same exact noise 24 TRD off road... I think it's wide spread... For me AC is fine it's if I put the heat on above 68° and use only the top vents... It's annoying but I think everyone may have it just never noticed before it goes away immediately when switching to AC or circulation air..
Any update?
Yes, it happens at various temp settings because the vents are not fully manually controlled. Even when you set temp/fan speed the computer still adjusts things. I have had it happen on heat and on cool. Using 'auto' sometimes helps for a bit.

I have a case open with Toyota and I am just doing the run around with the local dealer not calling me back to set up another appointment. Hopefully they call today.

If you choose to call toyota corporate I can message you the case number I have so that they can group them together.
Sponsored

OP
OP

trey_is_a_jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Another update to the blog, Truck back at dealer. This time I was told a 'master technician' is going to look at it and converse/work with Toyota directly.

I expect no progress like the last 2 times they have looked at it. I dropped it off and the dealer acted like they weren't even expecting it and were surprised to see my name in their appt list.

Fun times, I'm going to keep pushing this though. I don't know if its lemon law worthy but they are going to keep seeing me until some resolution is found.

DawnPatrol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
How many miles are on your truck OP? I had a whistle as well but it went away after about 2 weeks of ownership and hasn’t come back.

hoping they get it worked out for you

OP
OP

trey_is_a_jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
How many miles are on your truck OP? I had a whistle as well but it went away after about 2 weeks of ownership and hasn’t come back.

hoping they get it worked out for you

I have had it for about 2 months. I don't drive much so I only have about 600 miles.

I had the truck in this past week. They kept it the entire week and were in contact with Toyota Corporate. They attempted to switch out the ac fan which didn't resolve the issue (I could have told them that but whatever).

They took videos and sent them to Toyota and are awaiting the next move. They were able to compare my truck to others on the lot and the others did NOT have the whistling issue. My gut says its just bad 'flaps' in the main unit that control the air direction. It would be cool if they could like use an inspection camera in the vents and try to find the offending vent. Who knows, I won't hear back from them for about a week.

I got the truck back to use for a trip. Other then that I have 2 other minor issues, the right mirror doesnt adjust with the power buttons unless I push down on the R/L selector... probably just bad contact. The other I discovered is the front seal where the plastic under the wipers meets the windshield its not pressing the weather seal against the windshield in the center there is a gap and i'm sure water gets in. Not sure how big a deal that is but will have them look at it.
Sponsored