Sponsored

Is anyone else losing interest in the 2024 Taco?

Type2Diabetes

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR - Silver
Well the 2024 Tacoma was my first Toyota vehicle. I came from high end ford trucks. I found the buying experience much better.

I found a TRD OR with the multimedia package, walked in payed cash @ 300 below MSRP and walked out with the truck.

I waited 9 months on my last ford truck. Toyota is much better than Ford at supply chain and customer service in my opinion.
Sponsored

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Silverado, 14 JKUR
The refusal to fix the rear leg room has it off my list. Everything else looks great. I think I’m moving on to a 250 series Landcruiser or GX.

ForTheWin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Well the 2024 Tacoma was my first Toyota vehicle. I came from high end ford trucks. I found the buying experience much better.

I found a TRD OR with the multimedia package, walked in payed cash @ 300 below MSRP and walked out with the truck.

I waited 9 months on my last ford truck. Toyota is much better than Ford at supply chain and customer service in my opinion.
I find this interesting. I've seen a lot of grumbles on the Ford forums about wait times (Maverick and Bronco mostly) but the ability to custom order your truck to your specs is a big plus for Ford compared to Toyota. The allocation sheet helps but that's all in spite of the one size fits all system that Toyota forces down your throat.

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
the ability to custom order your truck to your specs is a big plus for Ford compared to Toyota. The allocation sheet helps but that's all in spite of the one size fits all system that Toyota forces down your throat.
Toyota has the best selling midsize truck with the highest resale value, they don't force jack shit down anyone's throats. If you're fond of the way Ford does things, then give them your money.

Type2Diabetes

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I find this interesting. I've seen a lot of grumbles on the Ford forums about wait times (Maverick and Bronco mostly) but the ability to custom order your truck to your specs is a big plus for Ford compared to Toyota. The allocation sheet helps but that's all in spite of the one size fits all system that Toyota forces down your throat.
Maybe I am to new to the Toyota model, when you say one size fits all can you explain? Are you talking about the equipment packages?

ForTheWin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Toyota has the best selling midsize truck with the highest resale value, they don't force jack shit down anyone's throats. If you're fond of the way Ford does things, then give them your money.
I've owned both so yea I've given them both my money. I prefer Toyota trucks over Ford because of reliability and value/resale. I'm not sure why it matters that Toyota has the best selling midsize truck. That doesn't prove they have a superior 'ordering' system or that it doesn't suck (which it does).

There's a lot of people who can't find the exact truck they want because Toyota won't allow you to custom order to your exact specs. That's the only reason the allocation sheet is even necessary, you will not find a similar list for Ford or Jeep because if you can't find one off the lot you can just order whatever you want without having to wait around hoping Toyota builds one that you want.

ForTheWin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma

GRKTRD

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma
Long time toyota fan but this is my first time I picked up a truck that I wasn't truly thrilled about not being my spec. But I guess I am waiting for the hyrbids or pro to swap into. Those ill just wait when they hit the lot and get (or find) a spec I am wanting. If its not a premium or have the 14 inch screen then I wont be buying. I dont see the premiums flying off the lot in my opinion. These seems to be selling strong as a start

Mackieallan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ranger
I've owned both so yea I've given them both my money. I prefer Toyota trucks over Ford because of reliability and value/resale. I'm not sure why it matters that Toyota has the best selling midsize truck. That doesn't prove they have a superior 'ordering' system or that it doesn't suck (which it does).

There's a lot of people who can't find the exact truck they want because Toyota won't allow you to custom order to your exact specs. That's the only reason the allocation sheet is even necessary, you will not find a similar list for Ford or Jeep because if you can't find one off the lot you can just order whatever you want without having to wait around hoping Toyota builds one that you want.
Yea if you were looking for a manual Sport longbed in Solar Octane for example you'd be SOL.

On the other hand, Toyota is able to crank these out much more efficiently than other OEMs since their production scheduling isn't impacted by customer specs. They just work around their supply constraints and any issues with certain parts, like the SDM option.

Type2Diabetes

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/toyotas-ordering-process-explained.1404/

That explains it well.

Maybe one size fits all is the wrong way to put it. But it's a total top down, take it or leave it approach.
I see the point you’re making. On the other hand I think by doing this model Toyota is much more efficient in getting the product to the masses.

Like I mentioned I’ve waited close to a year for a custom super duty (which by the way I had to remove things in order for it to be built), before that 11 months for a Raptor, wife waited 10 months for her Lincoln Aviator (which we ended up just buying one off a lot with similar specs).

I had a better experience just finding close to what I wanted TRD OF premium buying and forgetting instead of waiting for a year.

Thomasr1950

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Tacoma
Welcome to the forums, Yimmy. It’s unfortunate your first post (and motivation to join) was to criticize another member for expressing his opinion. Why do you say none of his six reasons are really valid? You don’t even know what his situation is.

Me personally, I haven’t lost interest in the new Tacoma, but I can also empathize with the frustrations others have expressed on these forums. Like many others here, I’ve been following the new Tacoma since Toyota released their teaser tweets a year ago. I signed up for news/announcements about the upcoming truck on their website (I’m still waiting for those emails, lol). I remember excitedly watching the big press event last May that took place in Hawaii. I can even tell you where I was, what I ate, and what I did that day, haha. Like so many others, I was super excited to see so many grades and options. It was unprecedented for a Tacoma. It really did seem like there was a new Tacoma for everyone, as Toyota’s marketing often touted. However, there’s a giant asterisk attached to that statement, because as many of us understand, you cannot custom order a Toyota. Dealerships can request certain builds, but ultimately they get what is allocated to them. And Toyota determines these allocations based on past sales data for a given region. That works well for Toyota in terms of efficiency and profits. We get it. But is it still annoying that we cannot order our dream Tacoma? You bet it is. Adding insult to injury are certain distributors (e.g., the SET mafia) that have a stranglehold of certain regions and love to install overpriced accessories at the port before the dealerships take delivery, just to pad the final price of an already expensive truck, sometimes by a few thousand dollars. And then certain dealerships do the same, to squeeze a few more dollars out of their customers. Sometimes I wish Toyota (and other automakers) would accept online orders, much like what Tesla does in many US states (because of protectionist laws that support dealerships by banning or strictly limiting direct sales to consumers by the automaker). The reason I say “sometimes” is because Tesla isn’t known for having competent service centers (ask my sister, who owns a Teslas). Then again, some dealerships have lousy service centers too.

Anyway, adding to the frustrations of prospective customers is the delayed launch of the new truck. Initially, Toyota’s advertisements said the non-hybrid models were expected to go on sale in the Fall of 2023 and the hybrids would be in the Spring of 2024. Well, they didn’t even announce pricing of the non-hybrids until November. March is just around the corner and none of the dealerships around me have taken delivery on any new Tacomas. I realize some lucky individuals have recently purchased their new trucks (like you) and I’m genuinely happy for you all. But please understand that not everyone’s situation is the same as yours. I also understand that there are valid reasons for the delayed launch. After all, it doesn’t benefit Toyota, a volume automaker, to artificially withhold delivery of the new Tacoma. They have an incentive to get as many into the hands of dealerships as quickly as possible. But what is causing some folks to rethink their next vehicle purchase is the lack of communication from Toyota. When I’ve asked my local dealerships for updates on when they expect to receive their first deliveries, all I get in response is “maybe next month”. Problem is they’ve been telling me that for the last few months. Toyota still hasn’t announced pricing for the hybrid models, including the Trail Hunter (which the OP was talking about, by the way).

I’m patient and am in a situation where I don’t need to buy another vehicle tomorrow, thankfully. So, I’m going to wait this out. I know what I want (and what I don’t want), so I’m willing to wait until my dealerships have something close to that. I also need to see the new Tacoma in-person and take it for a test drive before I’ll know if it is the vehicle for me. I’m also curious to see what happens with the new vehicle market in the coming months due to the higher interest rates. Maybe it will create downward pressure on new Tacoma sales, causing dealerships to offer incentives on certain grades/options. I’m also cautiously waiting to see what issues early adopters may encounter, given that this is a completely redesigned model. And lastly, even though I will likely buy a non-hybrid Tacoma, I’m waiting for Toyota to confirm the MSRP, payload, towing capacity, and MPGs of the hybrid models before making up my mind.

Anyway, I can understand someone not wanting to wait any longer for a TRD Pro or Trail Hunter, like the OP. Depending on their situation, if they need a new vehicle soon, it is a risk to keep waiting for the Tacoma, due to the unknowns. So, I wouldn’t blame that person for wanting to look at other options. After all, this is a huge purchase and the top models are expected to surpass $60K MSRP. Not to mention many dealerships may try to charge market adjustments on the Pro and Trail Hunter models.

Good luck to everyone and I hope you end up finding a vehicle that meets your needs.
I'm like you. Toyota is not listening to customers. I complained, they said they would document my feedback.

Garemz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Acura MDX
I'm Losing interest in the new Taco. I feel like the marketing campaign was way too long. Now the trucks are trickling in slowly, and still no pricing on the hybrid models. I went to the dealer to see one in person this week after seeing the back seat room I'm not sure this Vehicle is for me.

Last edited:

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
If anybody is losing interest, than go buy a stop-sale Colorado and see how much it will be worth in 3 to 5 years.

Plenty of Tacoma's out there for sale or on allocation. get yours!

I cancelled my allocation order (2 months with no activity) with my local dealer that I bought my last 3 Tacoma's and my Corolla from and found an allocation with what I sought from a dealer about 6 hours away. My sales guy I never met is already ordering the Rough Country leveling kit for a truck that is not even built yet. I plan on ordering dealer installed parts soon to be ready for when it does arrive.

I work with dealers that are willing to go the extra mile and reward them with my business.

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
I'll wait at least a year on any new vehicle.
Bugs get worked out
Stock gets built up.

Ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500, Honda Pioneer 1000
I asked for what i want.
If it shows up some time this year, im happy and excited.
If i dont get it, im lucky i didnt a first year model.

If something more exciting comes along, i can change my mind. Nothing so far.
Sponsored