Is the 2024 TRD Pro worth it anymore?

JED

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport
It was never worth it before pricing announced in my opinion. Unless you're going to use the Pro off road for what it's designed to do it's just a waste of money for some fancy seats. Buy an offroad with the premium package and you pretty much got yourself a Pro minus the suspension.
A suspension requiring ā€œmaintenanceā€ at 10K intervals. I started down the Pro road but after considering the above and exposing that suspension to the harsh upstate NY environment (salt) I started to have second thoughts.
The iso seats I suppose have merit to the <1% that will actually put them to their intended use. Likely <.01% will ever set them up properly.
I was ready to go hybrid until it became apparent that it was performance based and not so much for improved mileage. Doing the math payback appeared to be 7+ years out on the horizon . In my opinion the new non hybrid power plant is now more than adequate to handle any task.

The TH is also a wonderfully designed vehicle for the hard core over lander. Again a very low percentage of buyers will actually utilize that trucks full capabilities. Those around me, including my wife, would never let me live down the snorkel.
I am actually proud of myself for resisting those temptations. I purchased a very modestly optioned OR for $47K. Iā€™ll invest another unnecessary $5K to satisfy my inner child and have a truck Iā€™ll be proud to own for many years to come!

2024 Tacoma Is the 2024 TRD Pro worth it anymore? image

2024 Tacoma Is the 2024 TRD Pro worth it anymore? image
Sponsored

Last edited:

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
I am actually proud of myself for resisting those temptations. I purchased a very modestly optioned OR for $47K. Iā€™ll invest another unnecessary $5K to satisfy my inner child and have a truck Iā€™ll be proud to own for many years to come!
If only I had that level of self control....lol

Maybe I should consider a "build" on a more modest model. I have a bad habit of buying the loaded up thing (no matter what it is) and then using about 50% of the things I paid for. Hybrid, to me is very high on the want list, but I could do a lot with the $10K-$15K I'd save by not giving in to temptation and building my own "Pro" from an OR or Premium.

JED

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport
If only I had that level of self control....lol

Maybe I should consider a "build" on a more modest model. I have a bad habit of buying the loaded up thing (no matter what it is) and then using about 50% of the things I paid for. Hybrid, to me is very high on the want list, but I could do a lot with the $10K-$15K I'd save by not giving in to temptation and building my own "Pro" from an OR or Premium.
Iā€™m going to use the saved $15K to put a roof on the house. In my mind for free! Lol

Taco sport Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma sport (underground)
Iā€™ve had my heart set on the 2024 TRD Pro since they announced it, but with this pricing announced it really is making me reconsider, and look into the Ranger Raptor or the Chevy ZR2. My hesitations are reliability thoughā€¦

A lot of the Tacoma reviews that are out have stated that they liked the Ranger Raptor better and itā€™s almost $6,000 less.

I am curious to hear everyoneā€™s thoughts on this.
I got my 24 Tacoma sport with premium package tax tag and paint protection for $57k. Remember you get what you pay for. Toyota is way more dependable.

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Tacoma Off-Road; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
A suspension requiring ā€œmaintenanceā€ at 10K intervals. I started down the Pro road but after considering the above and exposing that suspension to the harsh upstate NY environment (salt) I started to have second thoughts.
The iso seats I suppose have merit to the <1% that will actually put them to their intended use. Likely <.01% will ever set them up properly.
I was ready to go hybrid until it became apparent that it was performance based and not so much for improved mileage. Doing the math payback appeared to be 7+ years out on the horizon . In my opinion the new non hybrid power plant is now more than adequate to handle any task.

The TH is also a wonderfully designed vehicle for the hard core over lander. Again a very low percentage of buyers will actually utilize that trucks full capabilities. Those around me, including my wife, would never let me live down the snorkel.

image.jpg

image.jpg
Looks great! Similar to the TH with the bronze on bronze. That is one of the many appeals to me of the TH.

Drunkmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma TRD Sport
I'm starting to have the same thoughts. for the price increase of call is 12k from an OR Premium to a TRD Pro. i just don't see it being worth it. I will all in on a TRD PRO and even have one allocated to me for end of june / early july delivery.

But i don't see the justification in price. Lift tires and wheels can all be had for under 5k. ( and i think that's a high number ) you are getting 95% of the same features. some wrap and itll look exactly like a pro apart from the ARB rear bumper and slightly cut angles on the front.

i saw this truck on the forum yesterday and apart from the red UCA this looks like a pro. Based on reviews no one is saying the hybrid is even worth the upcharge as the trucks don't feel that much faster if at all.

2024 Tacoma Is the 2024 TRD Pro worth it anymore? 1714316373161

2024 Tacoma Is the 2024 TRD Pro worth it anymore? 1714316520629

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
I'm starting to have the same thoughts. for the price increase of call is 12k from an OR Premium to a TRD Pro. i just don't see it being worth it. I will all in on a TRD PRO and even have one allocated to me for end of june / early july delivery.

But i don't see the justification in price. Lift tires and wheels can all be had for under 5k. ( and i think that's a high number ) you are getting 95% of the same features. some wrap and itll look exactly like a pro apart from the ARB rear bumper and slightly cut angles on the front.

i saw this truck on the forum yesterday and apart from the red UCA this looks like a pro. Based on reviews no one is saying the hybrid is even worth the upcharge as the trucks don't feel that much faster if at all.

1714316373161.png

1714316520629.png
poor man's PRO gets more rear legroom and matte fenders LOL. All it needs now is some running board deflectors, I'd personally go with a step rail šŸ¤™šŸ½

DG_TRDPro

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler
I guess itā€™s all in how you look at it. I think itā€™s worth it and I donā€™t even live in the desert. I donā€™t rock crawl or car camp either.

However I do hunt, fish and my girl and I enjoy day beach excursions and the occasional camp on the beach. I need 4 wheel drive and a locker for what I do. Might as well get something nice. I have been driving a 6 speed stick wrangler for like 12 years. Iā€™m ready for some luxury but still retain the capability to go where I need to go.

I will not argue the fact that 65k is a lot of money. Way more than I ever thought I would even spend for a Truck. But man you only live once. You canā€™t take the money with you and lifeā€™s too short to settle. I can afford it. I want it. Iā€™m going to get it. Lol

mcrwlrpro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD Pro, 2016 Lexus ES 350
It'll only be worth what the market dictates. Unless we can see how Toyota determined its price, we can only speculate.

It's a niche market halo truck produced in limited quantities and wasn't built to be affordable for the masses. There is no financial justification for buying one or any other high-priced halo truck for that matter. You could argue an ordinary and necessary business expense perhaps, but that is neither here nor there. These trucks are toys for the financially irresponsible, no matter their net worth. And, that's a personal dig at myself šŸ˜

Drunkmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma TRD Sport
i get it, and i can definitely afford the the pro. But the thing is sometimes just cause you can do something it doesn't mean you should.

what's wild to me is id love to see or hear how Toyota came up with the MSRP on the thing. last gen pros weren't 10-12k more then the 1 trim below and i just don't see a 10-12k added to this truck to get to that price.

IF you couldn't get 95% of the things in the trd offroad that you could in the PRO it would make more sense to me.

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
i get it, and i can definitely afford the the pro. But the thing is sometimes just cause you can do something it doesn't mean you should.

IF you couldn't get 95% of the things in the trd offroad that you could in the PRO it would make more sense to me.
Yeah I would also have been the market for a halo... but the ISO seats were a non-starter for me on the pro, as was the snorkel on the TH. I'd love a halo model that was about premium interior space and materials like the r1t but still the Tacoma platform.
Sponsored