Sponsored

Is the 4th gen Shark Fin just for satellite radio?

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
Hey folks! Does anyone know if the shark fin for the 4th gen is just satellite radio? (Not talking about the three fin fancy towing one just the normal fin)

I’m looking to put a lightweight camper shell on the back — maybe around Aug/Sep — and if I can shave an inch or two off the overall height and reduce that cabover gap by removing the shark fin and putting an auxiliary satellite radio antenna on the hood… that would be amazing. I’m just worried about if there are other important things in there that could get messed up with a potential delete.

alternatively is anyone with a 3D printer game to explore an idea of maybe printing a stubbier replacement fin to shrink the height? Or know of any shops that are considering manufacturing one? I sadly don’t have a printer of my own — though that might not stop me from opening blender and fiddling around when the time comes.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JustAnotherDingus

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
Bumping this cus I think it got lost in the sauce 🙃. Anyone hear anything about antenna delete kits or some sorta shorter 3d printed housing being made to flatten it closer to the cab body?

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
alternatively is anyone with a 3D printer game to explore an idea of maybe printing a stubbier replacement fin to shrink the height? Or know of any shops that are considering manufacturing one? I sadly don’t have a printer of my own — though that might not stop me from opening blender and fiddling around when the time comes.
If you sort out what can be done and model a replacement, I'm happy to print some prototypes for you. But honestly, I'd check out reddit and/or facebook for local 3d printer enthusiasts because no new design ever fits perfectly on the first try so having someone local you can do a couple iterations with will be a lot easier.

OP
OP
JustAnotherDingus

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
If you sort out what can be done and model a replacement, I'm happy to print some prototypes for you. But honestly, I'd check out reddit and/or facebook for local 3d printer enthusiasts because no new design ever fits perfectly on the first try so having someone local you can do a couple iterations with will be a lot easier.
Word. Thanks!

I know a couple guys through work who’d prob be into figuring this out with me. We 3d print a lot for my job but it’s mostly sourced to local vendors

I was sniffing around the oem parts site this morning too because the fancier shark fins can’t always be flattened because there’s more under there than a flat circuit board with some chips — so some of this is also me needing to figure out what the substructure is for the new gen/if this is even possible like it was on the older models.
Sponsored