Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crossover
Wow it includes the moonroof? awesome.I might have to update my order from a TRD Pro to a trailhunter, im hating those gimmicky (seemingly) seats, and i don't see myself doing any desert running....rock crawling however, definitely.

need to see the price difference.
Sponsored

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, German Money Pit, Rusty Toyota
I figured the extra armor comes at a cost. I'd be adding a cap and maybe a RTT down the road depending on how a few things progress. I don't want the Baja bar. Maybe a lucky forum member will get one at a substantially discounted rate if they can't be ordered without!

MPG are less of a concern to me than overall capability and total systems integration, and not having to carry an extra battery pack/inverter is a plus. Can't violate the warranty if it's all from the factory and all I'm doing is using it to run my plug in gear. And --If the motor can operate as a genset for the battery as we hope? Good stuff. If I can reduce my fuel usage to just cans for the Jet Boil and get an induction plate I'd be up for it.

Moon roofs get a lot of hate but being able to see the sky is a main deciding factor for me. It is one of the reasons why I'm leaning towards the TH over a Mojave or Ranger Raptor. Ranger doesn't offer it and taking the front panels off the Jeep and not having a place to easily store them with the rest of the gear is a PITA, and most RTT's are too long to work with a SunRider. The only other mid size that offers a moonroof are the GM twins, and... nope. Not interested.

I have a 1.4kWh Yoshino power station, granted it's SST lithium thing weighs 30lbs inverter board chassis everything included.
Not familiar with that specific brand but I would have thought a vehicle-based battery system would have been substantially heavier than a portable... but regardless good info.

~7,000 lb Trailhunter. Did not see that coming. Hopefully the long boi TH has a bigger gas tank. Maybe that's why they're producing it in a length comparable to an F-150...
I'd also think that Toyota would have been marketing a longer range tank out of the gate... but they haven't and per the Toyota site the fuel capacity on the Hybrids is TBD. Fingers crossed. I'd still get a couple Jerry cans but it's nice to know I have the extra juice. Being in the wilderness with a gas light on ain't on anyone's fun list.

My bigger concern is the towing capacity. Stock my e46 coupe weighs 3100lbs. Once I add lightness I can get that down another couple hundred pounds, and an aluminum deck trailer weighs around 1600lbs. That gets me to a hair below 75% of the gasser TRD's 6400lb tow capability. If the Hybrid hits in the same range, I'm golden. Though there isn't any real comparison, the Tundra's hybrid is a hair higher on towing than the gasser, too. Again, fingers crossed.

One thing that does come to mind- if the TH tops 7K lbs the smallest you'd want to go with is a 10,500lbs. CBI's Covert says it "fits most winches up to 10,000lbs" That may be an issue, I'd rather have the pulling capacity be higher and go with a 12K.

Hopefully by the time I'm in the market this will have been worked through.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow it includes the moonroof? awesome.I might have to update my order from a TRD Pro to a trailhunter, im hating those gimmicky (seemingly) seats, and i don't see myself doing any desert running....rock crawling however, definitely.

need to see the price difference.
If you look closely the pre-production Trailhunter X Overland used in their series had one. The OP's build sheet confirms that it's there as well.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Let's hope they didn't!

I think for my power needs I should be okay until I'm not with the OEM setup. If I get into serious off grid stuff, I may need to invest in solar and a house battery/power station like you have. Less complicated than a Redarc controller and far cheaper.

BTW: I rented a built Mojave last year in CA and even with their prone to failure battery setup, the ARB fridge/freezer in the back didn't wallop the batteries at night, even in sub-freezing weather. Never had an issue with it starting up having been parked for over 10 hours running the fridge. I'd hope that running a similar setup in a Tacoma would have comparable results.

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
My bigger concern is the towing capacity. Stock my e46 coupe weighs 3100lbs. Once I add lightness I can get that down another couple hundred pounds, and an aluminum deck trailer weighs around 1600lbs. That gets me to a hair below 75% of the gasser TRD's 6400lb tow capability. If the Hybrid hits in the same range, I'm golden. Though there isn't any real comparison, the Tundra's hybrid is a hair higher on towing than the gasser, too. Again, fingers crossed.
Early info from Toyota suggested 6000lbs towing for the hybrids (which aligns with the Land Cruiser). Not sure why it's lower than the gas, but my guess is it's a transmission cooling limitation, given the increased torque applied to it from the hybrid.

Sponsored

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
Let's hope they didn't!

I think for my power needs I should be okay until I'm not with the OEM setup. If I get into serious off grid stuff, I may need to invest in solar and a house battery/power station like you have. Less complicated than a Redarc controller and far cheaper.

BTW: I rented a built Mojave last year in CA and even with their prone to failure battery setup, the ARB fridge/freezer in the back didn't wallop the batteries at night, even in sub-freezing weather. Never had an issue with it starting up having been parked for over 10 hours running the fridge. I'd hope that running a similar setup in a Tacoma would have comparable results.
The only issue I see with doing this way is you will still be using the lead acid cranking battery to run the fridge, and they aren't really designed for long draw loads like that. It will work, and the truck will still start most of the time, but it will have a negative effect on the battery over time. You would be best off replacing the 12v battery with a AGM.

Luckily these trucks wont need the 12v starting battery hardly ever, but still it would be best use the correct battery for that application. I guess maybe run the battery until its smoked, and then replace with AGM.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early info from Toyota suggested 6000lbs towing for the hybrids (which aligns with the Land Cruiser). Not sure why it's lower than the gas, but my guess is it's a transmission cooling limitation, given the increased torque applied to it from the hybrid.
That's still within my spec, albeit barely.

If the rule for towing is 80% of capacity, I'm there but barely. I was factoring 75% for a bit of wiggle room. Car is 3100, trailer is 1600, and that gives me 4700. 80% of 6000 is 4800. Looks like I won't be bringing a spare set of track wheels.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only issue I see with doing this way is you will still be using the lead acid cranking battery to run the fridge, and they aren't really designed for long draw loads like that. It will work, and the truck will still start most of the time, but it will have a negative effect on the battery over time. You would be best off replacing the 12v battery with a AGM.

Luckily these trucks wont need the 12v starting battery hardly ever, but still it would be best use the correct battery for that application. I guess maybe run the battery until its smoked, and then replace with AGM.
Great point. I would likely be replacing the stock with an AGM anyway.

I think I'd need to do some serious digging before I make any moves. I really don't want to invest in a management system and a house battery if I can avoid it. This truck has to be able to handle camping/overlanding duty as well as haul shit to the dump and make Home Depot runs. I'm not in a position to have a dedicated camping rig at this point unless I hit the Powerball.

And if that happens then I'm going full Unimog.

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
Great point. I would likely be replacing the stock with an AGM anyway.

I think I'd need to do some serious digging before I make any moves. I really don't want to invest in a management system and a house battery if I can avoid it. This truck has to be able to handle camping/overlanding duty as well as haul shit to the dump and make Home Depot runs. I'm not in a position to have a dedicated camping rig at this point unless I hit the Powerball.

And if that happens then I'm going full Unimog.
I have done a bunch of reviews on the portable battery stations, and they usually fall short (for overland/long term camping use specifically) because they simply cant be charged fast enough from 12v (and I hate that they don't have more output ports than they do).

On the other hand, charged off 110v they charge incredibly fast. It must be a pure sine inverter for this to work, but I assume these hybrids will be. If that's the case, those kinds of batteries will play incredibly well with the new Toyota hybrids. You can run a fridge off the battery pack for 2-7 days (depending on size) and recharge it in around of hour of driving.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have done a bunch of reviews on the portable battery stations, and they usually fall short (for overland/long term camping use specifically) because they simply cant be charged fast enough from 12v (and I hate that they don't have more output ports than they do).

On the other hand, charged off 110v they charge incredibly fast. It must be a pure sine inverter for this to work, but I assume these hybrids will be. If that's the case, those kinds of batteries will play incredibly well with the new Toyota hybrids. You can run a fridge off the battery pack for 2-7 days (depending on size) and recharge it in around of hour of driving.

That's the angle I'm thinking. Factory inverter > battery > 12v fridge, and expansion for various USB powered doodads like aux lights and battery chargers. Any aux lights in the bed/cap, backup, ditch, etc would run off the AGM.

Sponsored

VI510N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD off-road
That's the angle I'm thinking. Factory inverter > battery > 12v fridge, and expansion for various USB powered doodads like aux lights and battery chargers. Any aux lights in the bed/cap, backup, ditch, etc would run off the AGM.
This was my thinking as well. Either placing a lithium 200-300ah battery in cab or in bed with a Victron charger plugged into the factory inverter. All external accessories then plugging into the battery. If I ever need additional inverting say for cooking or running something high wattage I can simply just use that inverter. Maybe stick a solar panel on a bed cover/roof rack or a lay out a foldable panel if I’m staying a while. The inverter adds so much functionality at 2400w now.

Mykale220

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Off-road (cement)
Dates:
Deposit date Aug 19, 2023
Confirmation date Apr 2, 2024
Build date May 14, 2024

Vehicle Details:
2024 4X4 DOUBLE CAB 7536A (5ft bed, short boi)
Exterior Color: Bronze Oxide
Interior Color: Softex + Emboss Mineral

Vehicle Price:
Base MSRP: TBD
Factory Installed Options: $60.00
  • Mud guards $60.00
Port Installed Options: $1,109.00
  • Spray-on bedliner $575.00
  • Door edge guards $155.00
  • Door scuff protectors $135.00
  • Tailgate insert $99.00
  • Spare tire lock $75.00
  • Ball mount $70.00
Dealer Installed Options: $0.00
  • None

Other Details:
Weight rating: 6,735 lbs
Power tilt/slide moonroof with sliding sunshade confirmed
Heads-up display confirmed
ARB® modular bed utility bar with removable MOLLE panels confirmed
Deck rail system with four adjustable tie-down cleats and four fixed cargo bed tie-down points confirmed

Comments:
  • Not real happy with the port-installed options but I've seen enough posts to know this was coming
  • Dealer will be charging me MSRP, and of course, pricing isn't out yet
  • I'm #1 on the list at this dealership
  • I'm expecting a mid to late June delivery, which is in line with what I was expecting

CANNOT WAIT.

Anything else you'd like confirmed from the limited information they sent me?

View attachment 11161 View attachment 11162 View attachment 11163
great to hear the good news! Your port stuff isn’t too bad! The spray in bedliner is honestly really nice! I think my favorite stuff are what comes with the premium packages. The cameras on my MTM are amazing, and the softex is great as well… not to mention the 14” screen, is a must have. Honestly, I think what comes with the premium packages (minus softex maybe) should be standard on the Tacoma, but I don’t see a lot of people wanting to pay 50k+ on a truck. I had some good equity in my trade so it cushioned it some for me and helped me decide to get the new Tacoma, that and the fact that I couldn’t even go by my old 2020 Tacoma OR with 45k miles on it for less that 40k.
Sponsored