New Engine Reliability

cgalloni

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Manual
I'm surprised Engine specs and reliability has not been talked about enough on this site. I do understand that we all need a new truck with up to date features but the most important thing ( at least for me) is the powertrain combo.

Coming from a 3rd gen 2016 at the beginning and now a 2021, the powertrain in this current gen to me was a big miss from Toyota.

Don't get me wrong I love the truck and after getting rid of the 2016 (automatic) and getting a 2021 manual is a big change but the lack of torque down low for this current gen is something I hate and also the automatic transmission and the constant hunting drove me crazy.

Now, we all know the 2GR is a proven engine, yes it has it little problems here and there, the biggest problem ( leak from the time chain cover ) but its a reliable engine overall with some of them currently in the high mileage.

I am sure this current engine would be ideal for the 4th gen because of the torque curve will be higher and more usable on low rpms which is the ideal for the truck, what worries me is the turbo and the turbo being on the back on the engine same as the tundra. We all know engines with Turbos need a little more tender and care than regular N/A engines .

I would like to hear your opinions in this matter and how would you think this engine stack up compared to the 3.5 or even the 4.0?
Sponsored

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
Can't really talk about the engine specs and reliability when it has not be announced what the 4G will have in it. We have speculation but nothing officially confirmed.

OP
OP
cgalloni

cgalloni

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Manual
Can't really talk about the engine specs and reliability when it has not be announced what the 4G will have in it. We have speculation but nothing officially confirmed.
It's almost certain that it will be the 2.4T . I will be shocked if the 3.5 returns

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
It's almost certain that it will be the 2.4T . I will be shocked if the 3.5 returns
One poster who has been somewhat accurate is predicting 4 options, one being a V6. Sounds like we will find out within the next two weeks.
Sponsored