QC Hold -- what's the issue(s)?

massm22

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover
Does anyone know for sure what the issue(s) are and when they are expected to be resolved? Dealerships in Boston keep stringing me along saying they are "in transit" and expected by the end of (insert month here). I want a new truck, I've owned Tacomas in the past and loved them but the wait and lack of communication from Toyota is giving me pause.
Sponsored

JED

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport
I don't believe anyone knows the root cause(s) of the QC hold including the dealerships. I think everyone in the NE, including myself, is in the same situation. My truck is not directly listed on a QC hold but has been held up in Veracruz since 2.21 .

I'm thinking nothing will leave that port until Toyota can maximize a ships load. Apparently whatever the QC hold is about its significant enough they don't want to pass it on to the dealerships for correction.

Kicking myself now for selling my Gen 2 before the new truck arrived!

stillgotomx

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I don't believe anyone knows the root cause(s) of the QC hold including the dealerships. I think everyone in the NE, including myself, is in the same situation. My truck is not directly listed on a QC hold but has been held up in Veracruz since 2.21 .

I'm thinking nothing will leave that port until Toyota can maximize a ships load. Apparently whatever the QC hold is about its significant enough they don't want to pass it on to the dealerships for correction.

Kicking myself now for selling my Gen 2 before the new truck arrived!
I have a guy so interested in my 2020 TRD Sport that he went and got a loan to buy it. That was a month ago. We’re friends and he gets it, but man, now he’s starting to make payments on a truck I’m still driving (as little as possible) and waiting for my 2024 to come in. Truly painful.

Dansflhti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport,16 Mustang GT Conv,14 HD SG.
I have a guy that has a deposit on my 2022 Sport. Makes me nervous making him wait until my new Sport arrives.

Connectoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Here’s what my dealer is saying:
42 days would be ~4/5

**Update 3/18/2024**

2024 Tacoma Limited 2.4L 4-Cylinder

Estimated Dealer Arrival:
Not Available

** Your vehicle was built on 2/22/2024 and underwent processing on the same day. However, as of 2/23/2024, the vehicle has been placed on hold for quality confirmation activities, resulting in a delay of up to 42 days.
Please note that this delay is beyond our control.

Currently, your vehicle remains in Mexico, specifically in Veracruz.
Once the hold is lifted, it will be shipped to the port in New Jersey, from where a truck driver will transport it to our dealership.

At this time, we do not have an exact timeframe for when the vehicle will arrive. Rest assured, I will keep you updated every step of the way. Your satisfaction is our priority, and we appreciate your patience and understanding.

Trainer Steve Clifford

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 RAV4 XSE
It is not your dealer stringing you along. They can't get definitive answers from Toyota. I just spoke to one of my regional people yesterday and could not get even an "unofficial" answer as to what the holdup it. He did hint that there might not be a single reason. It might be different things they are checking on these quality holds. On the plus side, that does mean they are "pulling the andon cord" which means they are not letting defects go on to the customer. That's part of the Toyota manufacturing process to not let defects pass until they are resolved.

I know that isn't the answer you or any of us want, but that's all I can pull from Toyota.

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
How many vehicles do these facilities produce a day? It has to be a staggering number. I can’t imagine how many must be sitting at this point.

Obviously they won’t just shut the lines down, they have employees to put to work. I’m curious how this will affect the hybrid production in the coming weeks.

@Trainer Steve Clifford
Any idea how this works? If X amount of vehicles are built and put on a QC hold for whatever issue, but that issue is corrected at the plant, does the next batch of trucks ship while the QC trucks sit on a lot and get fixed/inspected? Or do the newest produced trucks sit in the back of the line?

GRKTRD

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma
Im going to go with grille shutters as a start as one of the reasons

stillgotomx

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Agree. Looking at the allocations spreadsheet, tho, it does seem like an inordinate number of TRD ORs with premium packages are still out in the nether realm. While the grille shutters are a kind of global issue, it seems like maybe some particular item (supply chain issue) is affecting the TRDs with the premium options...JBL dash speakers? Seat heater component? Moonroof chip? Only speculating and trying to read between many lines.

Newtacointown

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Does anyone know the process it takes to lift the quality control when the truck is held at a rail yard? Is it a matter of an employee from Toyota Corporate making the rounds to various rail yards or shipping yards and inspecting it?
Sponsored