Sponsored

Sport vs Offroad trim -- which one to choose?

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Hi everyone. I'm a bit perplexed here as to which way to go. I have an allocation of a TRD OR (Black) and a TRD Sport (White) and am not sure which to take. I haven't put a deposit on the Sport yet, but that's coming. Both. have Feb build dates and are within $1000 of each other. I don't really offroad (dirt roads, easy trails) much, but I do drive some windy roads which is why I was thinking maybe the Sport. But the OR has more features, even if I won't utilize them to their fullest that I think may be cool to have. I hate posts like this, but I'm really undecided here. I think if I get the white sport I may wrap the roof black like the Pro.
Sponsored

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 Tacoma Limited
ā€œI donā€™t really off-roadā€
I think you already answered your own question. Sport 4WD or step it up into a Limited!!

OP
OP
bking

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Iā€™m mostly irritated that the sport doesnā€™t have MTS, or at least a tone down version of it. Itā€™s not a dealbreaker, but letā€™s be honest itā€™s only software.

2TR-FE

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tacoma SR5
If you donā€™t off-road, I expect that the sport will have a more compliant ride on the streets.

jside86

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
If you want a short bed with some decent options in Canada, you have to buy the OR Premium or the Tacoma with the manual transmission.

Although I was not planning on buying one for off-roading specifically, I welcome the smaller turning radius and, mostly, the fact that it fits in the garage...

guitarist alec

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Tacoma Sport
Iā€™m in the same predicament- prolly end up with the 4WD SPORT with iForce Max Hybrid engine for better driving/mileage on multi state camping trips pulling our Aliner, but am also feeling tempted by the ORā€¦.

I guess I got a few months to figure it out šŸ¤”

OP
OP
bking

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
ā€œI donā€™t really off-roadā€
I think you already answered your own question. Sport 4WD or step it up into a Limited!!
That's what I was thinking... I would love a Limited, but I can't deal with the chrome. I'll probably go with the Sport.

Tacanta14

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BD Hardtop 4Dr 2.3 MT
My '22 Bronco BD has gotten me everywhere I needed to go, so I'm going with the Taco OR, although the Sport is a close second!

Nixamantacoma

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outerbanks
I was in the same thinking , but have decided on the Sport.

I will be going from a 22 Bronco OuterBanks.
I will remove the air dam and I feel that it will handle the ruff areas that I go to fish and hike.

OP
OP
bking

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Iā€™m in the same predicament- prolly end up with the 4WD SPORT with iForce Max Hybrid engine for better driving/mileage on multi state camping trips pulling our Aliner, but am also feeling tempted by the ORā€¦.

I guess I got a few months to figure it out šŸ¤”
It will be interesting, but from what I've read the Hybrid may not tow as much as the standard. I know that's counterintuitive but I believe it's from the reduced payload due to the batteries. Also not sure it'll be worth the money since it's likely the hybrid is for power, not efficiency. Probably be more fun though

Kevin Chaos

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2nd generation TRD Off-Road Tacoma
Iā€™d say to get the Off-Road. It has more; itā€™s simply a better truck. It has been the overwhelmingly most popular trim among Tacoma enthusiasts (including myself) for many years.

The Sport has the super silly NON-FUNCTIONAL hood scoop. Some share the opinion that the Sport is a little more of a gimmick trim. A pickup truck made to look a little like a sports car is a bit like a mullet (if you will). Stick with the tried and true Off-Road.

Either, I assume, would be an excellent choice! Tacomaā€™s have always lived up to their reputation that I doubt a 4 cylinder turbo will ruin.

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
Iā€™d say to get the Off-Road. It has more; itā€™s simply a better truck. It has been the overwhelmingly most popular trim among Tacoma enthusiasts (including myself) for many years.

The Sport has the super silly NON-FUNCTIONAL hood scoop. Some share the opinion that the Sport is a little more of a gimmick trim. A pickup truck made to look a little like a sports car is a bit like a mullet (if you will). Stick with the tried and true Off-Road.

Either, I assume, would be an excellent choice! Tacomaā€™s have always lived up to their reputation that I doubt a 4 cylinder turbo will ruin.
What do you got against street trucks?

2024 Tacoma Sport vs Offroad trim -- which one to choose? scan0007

Kevin Chaos

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2nd generation TRD Off-Road Tacoma
What do you got against street trucks?

scan0007.jpg
Nothing really, lol. I guess I appreciate the utility of the off-road capable pickup and find the attempted combination with a race car odd. I see it much like I might an RV made to also street race. Although, that could be cool too, I guessā€¦
Sponsored