Sponsored

SR5 biggest tires w/no mods?

SweetDave

Well-known member
First Name
Paul
Joined
Feb 12, 2024
Threads
11
Messages
68
Reaction score
112
Location
Birmingham, AL
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 4x4
Greetings all! I had 17" wheels on my '22 and ran 275/70R17s with zero issue. The '24s *look* to have much bigger/deeper wells, and while I know I can definitely run the 275/70R17 size on my SR5, I'd like to step up to 285/75R17s if this can be done; I have looked all over the forums for an answer to this but am unable to find any "definites" on biggest size for the SR5. Can anyone speak to this? Much thanks!
2024 Tacoma SR5 biggest tires w/no mods? Truck2
Sponsored

 
OP
OP
SweetDave

SweetDave

Well-known member
First Name
Paul
Joined
Feb 12, 2024
Threads
11
Messages
68
Reaction score
112
Location
Birmingham, AL
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 4x4
Greetings all! I had 17" wheels on my '22 and ran 275/70R17s with zero issue. The '24s *look* to have much bigger/deeper wells, and while I know I can definitely run the 275/70R17 size on my SR5, I'd like to step up to 285/75R17s if this can be done; I have looked all over the forums for an answer to this but am unable to find any "definites" on biggest size for the SR5. Can anyone speak to this? Much thanks!
Truck2.jpg
OK, I did find some videos on the YouTubes that confirmed my decision was correct: I am having 285/70R17s installed today, which these have been identified as “the ideal” tire for this setup with no mods.
 

TacoJon

SR5
New member
First Name
Jon
Joined
Apr 9, 2024
Threads
0
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Longmont, CO
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5
Can you post pictures once installed? I’m debating putting 285/70R17 on the stock SR5 wheels, just not sure how it would be with the offset.
 

Sponsored

TacoChip

SR5
New member
First Name
Chip
Joined
May 24, 2024
Threads
0
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Location
PA
Vehicle(s)
2024 SR5
Those look great! Got my truck today. Thanks for posting.
 
OP
OP
SweetDave

SweetDave

Well-known member
First Name
Paul
Joined
Feb 12, 2024
Threads
11
Messages
68
Reaction score
112
Location
Birmingham, AL
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 4x4
Not in the slightest; they’re RIGHT to the edge. Couldn’t be a more perfect fit.
 

fredygump

SR5
Well-known member
First Name
Darren
Joined
Aug 1, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
47
Reaction score
37
Location
Minnesota
Vehicle(s)
2026 Tacoma SR5, 2016 VW GTI
To my knowledge, the biggest size that fits is 255/85r17, mounted on stock wheels. 34.6" diameter. Mickey Thompson Baja Boss.

Lift isn't required and doesn't really matter, because obviously lifting your vehicle doesn't change the size of your wheel wells...

Using stock wheels is ideal for larger tires. Using an aftermarket wheel with lower offset reduces the maximum tire diameter you can fit.

There are a handful of people who have the Baja Boss tires, but not much talk about them. One photo I saw makes it look pretty close with wheels turned, but no rubbing. I wish someone would make a video that makes it more clear.

Actual fuel economy doesn't really change if you "just" change tire diameter. The calculated fuel economy will change, because tire circumference results in a low travel distance measurement (you go further per wheel rotation) You can easily calculate how much distance/ MPG/ mph error you will have with larger tires.

Tinkerer's Adventure youtube channel did a great video explaining what "actually" affects your fuel economy. It isn't the tires!
Sponsored

 
 






Top