Tacoma Prime

chounder

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
Will we see a Tacoma Prime before we see a fully electric Tacoma?

I think a small battery range of 100 miles would be ideal for around town commuting.
Then the hybrid option for long road trips, camping, and off road adventures…
That sounds way more appealing than a fully electric Tacoma.

2024 Tacoma Tacoma Prime IMG_0401
Sponsored

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue

I think a small battery range of 100 miles would be ideal for around town commuting.

IMG_0401.jpeg
I agree. I would love a prime except they tend to cost so much more than hybrid on current models. Toyota is working on better batteries that will give a prime option of 200 miles if I remeber correctly. This would be ideal for me vs fully electric.

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport

IMG_0401.jpeg
I have to agree. I can’t in the foreseeable future, see how a full electric would work for me. They hybrid might be a nice jump ahead in efficiency, we’ll see. But a prime should just give the best of both worlds & make the transition just a bit more feasible.

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
The battery tech is just not there for a 100 mile range. You have to figure that much range would need a 40-50kw battery and that would be huge. Lower your goal to around 25 to 35 miles and it becomes much more feasible with balancing the battery weight/size with gas tank weight and size. Also keep in mind the average mileage per day a person drives is 25 to 35 depending on what study you read, so just call it 30. Now down the road solid state batteries will take care of this but we are not there yet in 2023. Now with all that typed.....I would be stoked for a Taco Prime with 30 mile range.

mramseyisu

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
A PHEV would be a nice option but I don't see it happening anytime soon. You need all the same stuff you need for a BEV in terms of an onboard charger and DC-DC converter on top of the battery. That stuff minus the battery will add another $10k to the sticker price. Getting people to pay for that would be a tough sell I think.

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
Well as long as the battery and truck are made in North America then it should still get like $6500 in federal rebates I think. That would help out with the price increase.

WIdirtfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F150, ?2024 Tacoma?

philipfreire

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Website
freire.ca
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Rav4 XLE Premium 4WD
I heard Toyota is making a smaller truck and the EV/PHEV would be better suited on that model. It would be easier for them to retrofit into atleast before they design a PHEV for a truck

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I heard Toyota is making a smaller truck and the EV/PHEV would be better suited on that model. It would be easier for them to retrofit into atleast before they design a PHEV for a truck
This is interesting because there is that rumor, and there have been some creditable sties recently comment on it.....dealers really want it.... but Toyota came out and said there is no plan for a smaller than Tacoma truck. Ok..... but then right after that they had an Instagram post featuring the old Stout pick up..... which they have recently filed trademark again (can't remember exactly so i may be getting it wrong) for the Stout name.......

So Toyota seems to be playing a game here with teasing but then saying 'no plans'. I really not sure what to think it accurate

philipfreire

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Website
freire.ca
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Rav4 XLE Premium 4WD
This is interesting because there is that rumor, and there have been some creditable sties recently comment on it.....dealers really want it.... but Toyota came out and said there is no plan for a smaller than Tacoma truck. Ok..... but then right after that they had an Instagram post featuring the old Stout pick up..... which they have recently filed trademark again (can't remember exactly so i may be getting it wrong) for the Stout name.......

So Toyota seems to be playing a game here with teasing but then saying 'no plans'. I really not sure what to think it accurate
if they do a small size pickup truck with their hybrid and PHEV tech, they will dominate the market. GM and even Fords Maverick wouldn’t stand a chance.

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if they do a small size pickup truck with their hybrid and PHEV tech, they will dominate the market. GM and even Fords Maverick wouldn’t stand a chance.
I think there will still be a market for the Maverick and would continue to do well. But yes I would be interested in a Toyota version over the Maverick if it was same size etc. The Maverick interior wise is actually pretty close if not bigger in some interior dimensions to the current Tacoma... I think the Tacoma has a little more width inside. Personally I wouldn't purchase a current Tacoma.

Once I am able to sit in the 24 Tacoma, and we know pricing and MPG that will tell me where it is on my list.... currently the Maverick is pretty high on my list of choices

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
Maverick size trucks are perfect for pool guys, painters, auto parts stores and I think will always have a place as a work truck. The starting price point...if you can get one for that price...is amazing. Where else can you get a truck that has a somewhat usable payload with 37MPGs for under $30k?

As far as a PHEV taco....Toyota has the PHEV tech, just unsure how it would mate to the Tacoma. I think the SUVs use a FWD motor and Eclectic rear end motors. Seems they would need to beef up the electric motor mated to the transmission in the 4G in order to get the power needed.

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick size trucks are perfect for pool guys, painters, auto parts stores and I think will always have a place as a work truck. The starting price point...if you can get one for that price...is amazing. Where else can you get a truck that has a somewhat usable payload with 37MPGs for under $30k?

As far as a PHEV taco....Toyota has the PHEV tech, just unsure how it would mate to the Tacoma. I think the SUVs use a FWD motor and Eclectic rear end motors. Seems they would need to beef up the electric motor mated to the transmission in the 4G in order to get the power needed.
Yeah exactly.... for those of us who drive a lot, don't tow, or haul anything big or heavy but like the idea of an area that you can put 'dirty' stuff in and not mess up your interior

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Santa Cruz (looking to replace)
It would appear that the electric motor in the iForce Taco is designed to deliver 98hp and 68 ft-lbs of torque. That simply isn't enough power to move a track of this size and weight - especially the added weight of the battery pack to provide 25...or 100 miles of range. To make a Prime version viable a motor with an output of 200+ hp would be required (just for safety) which also drives the size of the battery pack.

If you want a "Prime" truck from Toyota - it will have to be on a dedicated platform.
Sponsored