Sponsored

TN to Moab road trip: Colorado stops, trails, and must-dos?

Big Dawgs Toyota Tuning

TRD Pro
Well-known member
BASIC Sponsor
First Name
Quez
Joined
Sep 25, 2024
Threads
21
Messages
162
Reaction score
269
Location
Nashville
Website
www.bigdawgstoyotatuning.com
Vehicle(s)
2025 TRD Pro, 2025 TRD Pro 4Runner
What's up everyone,

I'm heading on a trip from Nashville out to Moab and want to make the most of it on the way. This will be my first time heading out that way, so I'd love some input from people who've done it or live in either spot.

The plan so far:
  • Leaving from Middle Tennessee October 4th heading west on I70. We're thinking it'll be a day and a half trip to CO. We'll be heading back on the 13th/14th, still not sure. I'll be with a ford bronco. Not sure of the trim though.
What I'm looking for:
  1. Colorado trails: What's worth running out there that? I've heard about the Alpine Loop, Imogene, Engineer, and Black Bear, but I don't know which ones are going to be open since it'll be OCT.
  2. Moab: Which trails are must-runs for a first trip? I'm thinking Hell's Revenge, Fins N' Things, Top of the World, and Poison Spider, but I'm open to suggestions.
  3. Camping: Any good dispersed spots in or around Moab? Any spots I should book ahead?
  4. Non-wheeling stops: Scenic drives, towns, food, or views that are worth the detour between TN and Moab.
  5. Timing and conditions: Anything I should know about snow at the passes, permits, or trail closures for this time of year?
  6. Lessons learned: Anything you wish you'd known before your first trip out there, like fuel range, spare parts, or cell coverage.

If anyone's going to be out there around the same time and wants to link up for a trail or two, let me know.
Sponsored

 

MT-Taco

TRD Off-Road Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Allen
Joined
May 22, 2023
Threads
21
Messages
1,131
Reaction score
1,089
Location
Montana
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD off-road Tacoma
Damn! You’re going to have a ball!

I’d add Chicken Corners and White Rim trail, you’ll need a permit to go on White Rim and an additional one to camp on the trail. It’s long 7-8hrs depending on sightseeing (Amazing Geological views!!!) and opposing traffic? Not really difficult but remote so break downs could be costly/difficult.
Seen a newish Honda Ridgeline on the trail 🤣 not sure if he made it but I’m certain it wasn’t in the same condition it started in! Some people said it has frequent washouts so be sure to have a decent shovel or 2? I could see where there were a few but nothing severe. We entered through potash road (I was told the more difficult direction?)

Didn’t have any fuel range issues.

Bring a tire plug kit!

Im trying to get back there this fall? If I do I’ll get in touch.

https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/3-days-in-moab.16078/
 
OP
OP
Big Dawgs Toyota Tuning

Big Dawgs Toyota Tuning

TRD Pro
Well-known member
BASIC Sponsor
First Name
Quez
Joined
Sep 25, 2024
Threads
21
Messages
162
Reaction score
269
Location
Nashville
Website
www.bigdawgstoyotatuning.com
Vehicle(s)
2025 TRD Pro, 2025 TRD Pro 4Runner
Damn! You’re going to have a ball!

I’d add Chicken Corners and White Rim trail, you’ll need a permit to go on White Rim and an additional one to camp on the trail. It’s long 7-8hrs depending on sightseeing (Amazing Geological views!!!) and opposing traffic? Not really difficult but remote so break downs could be costly/difficult.
Seen a newish Honda Ridgeline on the trail 🤣 not sure if he made it but I’m certain it wasn’t in the same condition it started in! Some people said it has frequent washouts so be sure to have a decent shovel or 2? I could see where there were a few but nothing severe. We entered through potash road (I was told the more difficult direction?)

Didn’t have any fuel range issues.

Bring a tire plug kit!

Im trying to get back there this fall? If I do I’ll get in touch.

https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/3-days-in-moab.16078/
Great into!
Sponsored

 
 






Top