Towing with 2024 Tacoma 4th gen ??

larrymarket

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 VW GTI Autobahn 6-spd
Hi all. As the new Taco uses coil springs on the TRD Pro and Trailhunter models (I'm highly leaning towards getting a TRD Pro), is there any concern with regards to towing? I plan on getting a Nitro Z19 19'4" fiberglass bass boat and according to Nitro.com the average total towing package weight is around 3500lbs (idk if that's just with the single axle trailer, but assuming it is, I'm guessing it's a couple hundred lbs more for the tandem axle trailer which I plan to opt for, so say around 4000lbs towing weight). Everyone on this facebook bass fishing group I follow all recommend getting a full size because the sheer difference in vehicle mass/stronger frame/better brakes and more robust transmission will make towing a lot safer and efficient versus trying to tow with a midsize like the Taco. But I really prefer having the slightly smaller vehicle, and if I absolutely do not have to get a 1/2 ton to tow my future Z19, I don't want to.

Do you guys think the new Taco can handle this boat, or should I really look at getting a full size?
Sponsored

JakeJoeBob

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
4000lbs is absolutely within even the current gen Taco towing capacity. I used to tow a 19ft travel trailer with my 4th gen v8 4runner and it handled it like a champ. The New Taco has lots of torque and strong frame fully boxed frame (very similar to the Tundra’s frame), should work great.

lutey

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 Prime, Nissan GT-R, 1994 Ford Mustang
Hi all. As the new Taco uses coil springs on the TRD Pro and Trailhunter models (I'm highly leaning towards getting a TRD Pro), is there any concern with regards to towing? I plan on getting a Nitro Z19 19'4" fiberglass bass boat and according to Nitro.com the average total towing package weight is around 3500lbs (idk if that's just with the single axle trailer, but assuming it is, I'm guessing it's a couple hundred lbs more for the tandem axle trailer which I plan to opt for, so say around 4000lbs towing weight). Everyone on this facebook bass fishing group I follow all recommend getting a full size because the sheer difference in vehicle mass/stronger frame/better brakes and more robust transmission will make towing a lot safer and efficient versus trying to tow with a midsize like the Taco. But I really prefer having the slightly smaller vehicle, and if I absolutely do not have to get a 1/2 ton to tow my future Z19, I don't want to.

Do you guys think the new Taco can handle this boat, or should I really look at getting a full size?
This will be my first truck. But the towing capacity will be 6K. I'd say you're very safe with anything under 5K. Especially with the extra torque from the turbo and hybrid drivetrane.

kweevuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 6MT OR
Not a great response here for experience, but this is going to be my first truck and I plan on towing a 91 Miata to track days. So a light car, I’m estimating with trailer around 4-4500k. I think what you have to watch out for is payload with the tongue weight.

if you load up 5 people, and tons of gear, well you may be over the payload along with the trailer. Otherwise you are fine, and I’m sure it’s capable. But going full size with proper towing packages is where that payload starts to increase a lot (and of course towing capacity) but you have to watch because some models aren’t speced much higher at all.

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
For some peace of mind: the SAE standard that manufacturers use to determine the rating includes the following tests (that I can remember - I may be missing some):
1) Minimum acceleration requirements
2) Minimum braking requirements (without trailer brakes - the vehicle has to be able to safely stop the trailer in the event the trailer brakes fail)
3) Park brake hold testing (facing down a hill and then up a hill)
4) Handling tests - I think it's something like 0.4g skidpad, the truck cannot oversteer as that would indicate the trailer is steering the truck
5) Cooling system performance - On a very hot day on a very specific road with a lot of incline, the truck has to pull the trailer at a minimum speed for the full distance and not generate any temperature warnings.

So if the truck says it'll pull 6000lbs, it can do so very safely. As pointed out above, keep an eye on your tongue weight, and be sure not to load your truck so much that you exceed the GCWR with the trailer connected.
Sponsored