Sponsored

evorunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 prius, 2016 tacoma trd sport
30 mpg is very very unlikely. mid 20s is my realistic hope.
Sponsored

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
30 mpg is very very unlikely. mid 20s is my realistic hope.
Wow, didn't realize Ford so easily out engineered Toyota.... thanks for the insight.... I guess this is DOA

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yall are failing to take into account the Maverick, (compared to current Tacoma dimensions are not that far off from each other) which if as Carmaker stated there are going to be 2 hybrids then 30 MPG should not be difficult given the Highlander & Sienna are 35-36 MPG combined, and the new Grand Highlander is supposedly going to be 34.

What's the point of two hybrids if one isn't going to make it to 30? I'm just going off what he said........

evorunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The maverick is front wheel drive and unibody, the Tacoma will be body on frame and not likely front wheel drive. Ford in the fullsize trucks does better on fuel economy then tundra, I expect the same here as Toyota doesn't put mpg over reliability and dependability. I want 30 mpg too but we're hoping for a lot for a body on frame truck. I almost forgot about the ride height between the two also, the Tacoma sits higher of the grand then a maverick which hurts fuel economy too.

Where did you hear about the 2.5 hybrid for the Tacoma? I'll be surprised if it does since it doesn't seem fit for a truck.

Last edited:

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The maverick is front wheel drive and unibody, the Tacoma will be body on frame and not likely front wheel drive. Ford in the fullsize trucks does better on fuel economy then tundra, I expect the same here as Toyota doesn't put mpg over reliability and dependability. I want 30 mpg too but we're hoping for a lot for a body on frame truck. I almost forgot about the ride height between the two also, the Tacoma sits higher of the grand then a maverick which hurts fuel economy too.

Where did you here about the 2.5 hybrid for the Tacoma? I'll be surprised if it does since it doesn't seem fit for a truck.
#10 post on this thread - he doesn't specifically mention the 2.5 but not sure what else they would use as a 'lower end' hybrid

evorunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ahh I see, in reference to that I was thinking we'll get 2 different versions of the hybrid max like in the new Colorado, one tuned like what's in the crown and the max output in the Grand Highlander. There's a chance for both ours in that speculation. I don't really see the 2.5l as a truck engine.

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
Yall are failing to take into account the Maverick, (compared to current Tacoma dimensions are not that far off from each other) which if as Carmaker stated there are going to be 2 hybrids then 30 MPG should not be difficult given the Highlander & Sienna are 35-36 MPG combined, and the new Grand Highlander is supposedly going to be 34.

What's the point of two hybrids if one isn't going to make it to 30? I'm just going off what he said........

Where did you hear about the 2.5 hybrid for the Tacoma? I'll be surprised if it does since it doesn't seem fit for a truck.

Not to mention the extra weight. Maverick weights under 3800 pounds.

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to mention the extra weight. Maverick weights under 3800 pounds.
Well you got me there, but again the Highlander is around 4300-4500 and the Sienna 4600

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
Well you got me there, but again the Highlander is around 4300-4500 and the Sienna 4600

I hear you....not trying to start an argument or anything either. Just lots go into like aerodynamics, tires size/weight, etc. I just think if it was possible to hit 30MPG in a mid size then it would have already been done or it would be something no one would buy. I just want someone to make a PHEV truck that looks cool.

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear you....not trying to start an argument or anything either. Just lots go into like aerodynamics, tires size/weight, etc. I just think if it was possible to hit 30MPG in a mid size then it would have already been done or it would be something no one would buy. I just want someone to make a PHEV truck that looks cool.
Agreed, however no one else does Hybrids like Toyota and Ford....there is talk of a Ranger Hybrid also......

evorunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've heard the rumors of the ranger phev too, however I don't think that will be in our budgets do to battery prices of that size so I don't care to wait and see that one

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
Agreed, however no one else does Hybrids like Toyota and Ford....there is talk of a Ranger Hybrid also......

I love the look of the Ranger Raptor, but I hate the look of the regular MY24 Ranger....looks too much like a Maverick. I want a beefy looking truck.

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
The EPA released the MPG numbers on the 2023 Colorado yesterday. 20/25/22 for the 2wd and 19/23/21 for the 4wd. I expected better but the added a lot of weight to it. I am hoping the new Tacoma's can beat these.

2024 Tacoma 2024 Tacoma (4th Gen) 920B Inside Info - Development, Ordering, Production, Availability Capturejklh.JPG
Sponsored