Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crossover
This Tacoma looks great and checks a bunch of my boxes, but honestly I like the 6G Ranger interior better. I’m not a fan of the screen looking like it got slapped onto the dash with double back sticky tape. The Ranger screen looks more integrated into the dash and I like the large vents flanking it on both sides.
i personally think the ranger interior is hideous. i like the infotainment system but the red accent looks so tacky and cheap
to each their own though
Sponsored

Boomguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fird
Nice truck, but it still cost way more than the $20k MSRP my Hybrid Maverick cost. I just need basic transportation that allows me to haul 5 people and 1500 pounds of total stuff occasionally.

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I think it looks really good. I really like the interior......except for the peel-n-stick tablet....but that's pretty much the norm these days. I'm sure I'd get use to it.
The only thing I'm concerned about is the towing capacity. It was listed at 6500lbs, for a couple of the lower trims. I'm afraid that might mean the TRD will be less. Did anyone see a towing cap for the TRD?
6000 for any hybrid trim including trd pro. I am concerned at payload

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
Nice truck, but it still cost way more than the $20k MSRP my Hybrid Maverick cost. I just need basic transportation that allows me to haul 5 people and 1500 pounds of total stuff occasionally.
totally different class of truck between the 2.

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
6000 for any hybrid trim including trd pro. I am concerned at payload
Colorado ZR2 is only 6000 pounds with a 1280 payload. Will be interesting to see the official TRD Pro numbers for sure.

cvollers

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Alltrack
Front tow hooks are standard with rear optional. Here is a quote directly from the post:
"For the sketchiest of situations, Tacoma offers standard front and optional rear recovery hooks and underbody protection."
What about the seating position?

Me_In_Va

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 TRD OR
I can't emphasize enough just how bad of an idea it is for Toyota to use NiMH batteries int he hybrid portion of the new Tacoma. This battery chemistry is the same chemistry that you found in cordless phones from the mid-1990's to the 2010's. And it is complete garbage for a hybrid battery.

I had the 2006 Civic Hybrid when it first came out. I put 300k on that car. It was a great car...except for the hybrid part. The hybrid part only lasted for 75k to 100k miles before the battery was useless. Yes, I replaced the battery pack on my car twice before I got my Taco TRD OR.

So how did the battery become useless?

If you are old enough to remember the old cordless phones, do you remember keeping it on the charger when it wasn't in use? That is what kills a NiMH battery. Constantly charging the battery caused it to develop a "usage memory". THis meant that if you only used the phone for 10 minutes a day and left it on the charger the rest of the time, pretty soon the battery would only last 10 minutes before it was dead.

Now take this over to a vehicle with a hybrid system. In my Civic the hybrid system would use the battery to spin up the electric motor to assist the gas engine every time you hit the gas pedal. This discharged the battery. Then when you hit the brakes the system reversed its function and the electric motor would charge the battery.

Do you see the similarity here? You discharge the battery to get you up to the speed you needed and then you recharged the battery when you slowed down for the next stop. And how many times a day do you repeat this cycle? It didn't take long for the NiMH battery in my Civic to develop a usage memory.

I can't understand why Toyota decided to go with NiMH instead of lithium. Why didn't they use the same kind of batteries that are in the Prius?

I'd stay away from the models that come with the NiMH batteries. You WILL have to change them out. No two ways about it.

WIdirtfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F150, ?2024 Tacoma?
I can't emphasize enough just how bad of an idea it is for Toyota to use NiMH batteries int he hybrid portion of the new Tacoma. This battery chemistry is the same chemistry that you found in cordless phones from the mid-1990's to the 2010's. And it is complete garbage for a hybrid battery.

I had the 2006 Civic Hybrid when it first came out. I put 300k on that car. It was a great car...except for the hybrid part. The hybrid part only lasted for 75k to 100k miles before the battery was useless. Yes, I replaced the battery pack on my car twice before I got my Taco TRD OR.

So how did the battery become useless?

If you are old enough to remember the old cordless phones, do you remember keeping it on the charger when it wasn't in use? That is what kills a NiMH battery. Constantly charging the battery caused it to develop a "usage memory". THis meant that if you only used the phone for 10 minutes a day and left it on the charger the rest of the time, pretty soon the battery would only last 10 minutes before it was dead.

Now take this over to a vehicle with a hybrid system. In my Civic the hybrid system would use the battery to spin up the electric motor to assist the gas engine every time you hit the gas pedal. This discharged the battery. Then when you hit the brakes the system reversed its function and the electric motor would charge the battery.

Do you see the similarity here? You discharge the battery to get you up to the speed you needed and then you recharged the battery when you slowed down for the next stop. And how many times a day do you repeat this cycle? It didn't take long for the NiMH battery in my Civic to develop a usage memory.

I can't understand why Toyota decided to go with NiMH instead of lithium. Why didn't they use the same kind of batteries that are in the Prius?

I'd stay away from the models that come with the NiMH batteries. You WILL have to change them out. No two ways about it.
I'm pretty sure the Prius uses both types of these batteries, i know in my brothers 2021 they did. Maybe its NiMH on the "regular" hybrid and Lithium Ion on the Primes?

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
The rub to me is the Maverick back seat appears that it will have more legroom also..... can't believe they didn't do something about the legroom

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
totally different class of truck between the 2.
May be true but they are being cross shopped if yall want to admit or not.

Me_In_Va

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 TRD OR
I'm pretty sure the Prius uses both types of these batteries, i know in my brothers 2021 they did. Maybe its NiMH on the "regular" hybrid and Lithium Ion on the Primes?
Huh. Didn't know they were using NiMH in the Prius. Thanks for the info.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tundra

two different classes. The upcoming compact truck may fit the bill at a similar price point.

2024 Tacoma 2024 TACOMA REVEALED!! Specs, Wallpapers, Photos / Videos! Hybrid Model Added 1684520171768

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
two different classes. The upcoming compact truck may fit the bill at a similar price point.

1684520171768.png
Very true, however that doesn't stop people from cross shopping them.... I am.

Hopefully this 'new truck' from Toyota will come out soon if it's real, also have equal rear legroom to the Maverick if not more because it seems the new Tacoma is lacking in this area.
Sponsored