Sponsored

2024 tacoma trd offroad rust

Mini2nut

Trailhunter
Well-known member
Joined
May 6, 2023
Threads
14
Messages
331
Reaction score
287
Location
SoCal
Vehicle(s)
2026 Tacoma Trailhunter
On a positive note I spent a good amount of time on my back inspecting the undercarriage on my 4th Gen Tacoma.

Virtually everything is painted and protected from corrosion. Rear differential, control arms, springs, etc. Toyota went so far as to insert plastic covers on all frame openings to help prevent water/mud/road salt intrusion.

It appears that Toyota finally learned it’s lesson regarding frame perforation/corrosion.
 
Last edited:
OP
OP

Slikka

TRD Off-Road
Active member
First Name
Michael
Joined
Apr 15, 2024
Threads
11
Messages
43
Reaction score
7
Location
Louisana
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma
On a positive note I spent a good amount of time on my back inspecting the undercarriage on my 4th Gen Tacoma.

Virtually everything is painted and protected from corrosion. Rear differential, control arms, springs, etc. Toyota went so far as to insert plastic covers on all openings in the new chassis to help prevent water intrusion.

It appears that Toyota finally learned to reduce risks regarding frame corrosion and warranty repair costs.
Not mine ?
 

tacorancher

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
k
Joined
Sep 1, 2024
Threads
52
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,952
Location
houston
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Got a question for you guys - my PPF guy accidentally scored a small area under my hood when cutting the wrapped PPF, exposing a thin line of bare aluminum (yes it’s super annoying but not visible). Given that the hood is aluminum I assume it will just get some surface corrosion on that tiny spot and then be fine. Or should I touch it up with some paint? I’ll prob paint it regardless more just curious your thoughts on the exposed aluminum.
 

TrashPanda

Well-known member
First Name
Brad
Joined
Oct 4, 2024
Threads
11
Messages
79
Reaction score
50
Location
Alabama
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR Premium
Got a question for you guys - my PPF guy accidentally scored a small area under my hood when cutting the wrapped PPF, exposing a thin line of bare aluminum (yes it’s super annoying but not visible). Given that the hood is aluminum I assume it will just get some surface corrosion on that tiny spot and then be fine. Or should I touch it up with some paint? I’ll prob paint it regardless more just curious your thoughts on the exposed aluminum.
Courtesy of transit. The aluminum likely won’t be an issue but it can react with metals in water and bubble paint. A light touch up wouldn’t hurt.
IMG_3615.webp
 

Sponsored

tacorancher

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
k
Joined
Sep 1, 2024
Threads
52
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,952
Location
houston
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
@tacorancher Unrelated but I have this to deal with too.
IMG_3617.webp
Sigh. Yeah. That is easy to fix just take it back for some trimming. This is the second time I have done PPF and I swear I think it stresses me out more than not having it. There’s always something with it. And then I’m always freaked out if we need to remove it whether it’ll fuck up the clear coat.
 

TrashPanda

Well-known member
First Name
Brad
Joined
Oct 4, 2024
Threads
11
Messages
79
Reaction score
50
Location
Alabama
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR Premium
Sigh. Yeah. That is easy to fix just take it back for some trimming. This is the second time I have done PPF and I swear I think it stresses me out more than not having it. There’s always something with it. And then I’m always freaked out if we need to remove it whether it’ll fuck up the clear coat.
Better with than without, especially with the roads in AL. One trip down 65 will tear a bumper apart.
 

tacorancher

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
k
Joined
Sep 1, 2024
Threads
52
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,952
Location
houston
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Better with than without, especially with the roads in AL. One trip down 65 will tear a bumper apart.
I’m in Texas. Yeah it can fuck some shit up.

Almost bought a truck in Tuscaloosa by the way. I backed out and pissed off the GSM. But he took a thousand dollar deposit from me so not sure why he was so mad.
 

TrashPanda

Well-known member
First Name
Brad
Joined
Oct 4, 2024
Threads
11
Messages
79
Reaction score
50
Location
Alabama
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR Premium
I’m in Texas. Yeah it can fuck some shit up.

Almost bought a truck in Tuscaloosa by the way. I backed out and pissed off the GSM. But he took a thousand dollar deposit from me so not sure why he was so mad.
I held a Bronze oxide and the dealer tried to keep my $1000 after the truck showed with transit damage but I didn’t sign anything so I disputed the credit charge.?
 

Sponsored

bresna

TRD Sport Premium
Well-known member
First Name
Kevin
Joined
May 19, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
98
Reaction score
52
Location
Maine
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
I had my dealer check this rust out. Their analysis was that this was "normal", so nothing to be done.
 

bitflogger

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
Joined
Jul 21, 2024
Threads
7
Messages
397
Reaction score
353
Location
WI
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
My 2024 started showing unusual corrosion on the galvanized under hood parts fairly early, and some frame spots are prone to showing it even in summer when I know all road salt is washed away.

From late winter 2025 through now I brought this up at each dealer visit for service and recalls. Yesterday the dealer had someone in management be insistent this is normal and they would not do anything and advised calling Toyota Brand Engagement. I did that today and they said they go back to the dealer with their case.

I'm not a perfectionist, but if you look at my photos here, I certainly don't want a dipstick tube to rust through when the warranty is past. I've repeated to the dealer and now to brand engagement that I'm not expecting perfection, but this is not at all like any of our past Toyotas. Our 15 and 5 year old vehicles that get same care in same environment do not look like this.

The rear tow hook spaces show surface rust soon after washing.

Are any of you having the same thing going on?

M25Kt84.jpg

zaPfjQ8.jpg
 

IDontWorkForTheWaterCo

SR
Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
302
Reaction score
370
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2026 Tacoma SR
My 2024 started showing unusual corrosion on the galvanized under hood parts fairly early, and some frame spots are prone to showing it even in summer when I know all road salt is washed away.

From late winter 2025 through now I brought this up at each dealer visit for service and recalls. Yesterday the dealer had someone in management be insistent this is normal and they would not do anything and advised calling Toyota Brand Engagement. I did that today and they said they go back to the dealer with their case.

I'm not a perfectionist, but if you look at my photos here, I certainly don't want a dipstick tube to rust through when the warranty is past. I've repeated to the dealer and now to brand engagement that I'm not expecting perfection, but this is not at all like any of our past Toyotas. Our 15 and 5 year old vehicles that get same care in same environment do not look like this.

The rear tow hook spaces show surface rust soon after washing.

Are any of you having the same thing going on?

M25Kt84.jpg

zaPfjQ8.jpg
Do you live in a place that uses any type of liquid winter road treatment? Looks like sodium chloride brine corrosion to me.
Sponsored

 
Last edited:
 






Top