Sponsored

Jeeper Defector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Jeep JT Gladiator
In this article (paywalled) about Toyota considering a smaller pickup to battle the Maverick and Santa Fe, an executive at Toyota North America reveals that the next Tacoma won't grow in size.

Hollis — who himself introduced the Toyota A-BAT concept compact unibody pickup at the 2008 Detroit auto show — told Automotive News last week at Toyota Motor North America headquarters here that the Japanese automaker has "continued to look" at the small-truck segment that Ford and Hyundai now occupy, "and we've continued to look for a long time." He said the redesigned Tacoma, due in dealerships next year, is not going to get larger, even as it follows the Tundra full-size pickup and Sequoia large SUV onto Toyota's new global F1 body-on-frame platform.​
Sponsored

4Running

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 4Runner
In this article (paywalled) about Toyota considering a smaller pickup to battle the Maverick and Santa Fe, an executive at Toyota North America reveals that the next Tacoma won't grow in size.

Hollis — who himself introduced the Toyota A-BAT concept compact unibody pickup at the 2008 Detroit auto show — told Automotive News last week at Toyota Motor North America headquarters here that the Japanese automaker has "continued to look" at the small-truck segment that Ford and Hyundai now occupy, "and we've continued to look for a long time." He said the redesigned Tacoma, due in dealerships next year, is not going to get larger, even as it follows the Tundra full-size pickup and Sequoia large SUV onto Toyota's new global F1 body-on-frame platform.​
That's GREAT news. "Midsize" pickups have gotten too long over the years and I was hoping since Toyota didn't make the new Tundra any bigger, it'd leave the Tacoma size alone too. (y)

I just looked up the specs and it shocking... the smallest 2022 Tacoma is about 34" longer than the longest 2000 Tacoma! 🤯 Which btw is the reason why Toyota should totally bring a small pickup to market. Ford can't produce those Mavericks fast enough to meet the red hot demand.

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
I like the current size over all, but can't stand the rear seat legroom.... if it doesn't add a few inches there it for sure is out for me.

PCL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Honda Ridgeline
Thats actually a bummer for me. I want decent rear legroom, but it looks like a full-size will be my only option.

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Silverado, 14 JKUR
Thats actually a bummer for me. I want decent rear legroom, but it looks like a full-size will be my only option.
Exactly! Width is fine, but the back seat won’t fit humans unless the front is occupied by… someone much shorter than myself. Hopefully they benchmarked the Gladiator and Ridgeline on this. GM looks to have taken away an inch from their just adequate back seat.
Funny enough- I've actually considered going to a Ridgeline, as it's a proper midsize with the best interior space. What's your motivation to get rid of yours?

Last edited:

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see the mentions of the ridgeline..... I think the ridgeline is a very cool concept.... my issues with it.... nothing special MPG's.... and I really don't like the lack of a 'proper' center console.... I can't stand the arm rests. It's expensive from my view as well, however if it fixed my problems with it I think in the long term it would be worth it, especially with the way the hold their value.

Reactions: MJE

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Silverado, 14 JKUR
Sure has been quiet. Was hoping to get a few nuggets following the Colorado/Canyon reveal.

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure has been quiet. Was hoping to get a few nuggets following the Colorado/Canyon reveal.
I agree, I was hoping that we would get more bits and pieces sooner than this time next year.

I know it's not realistic, but I am hoping for a full reveal in Spring for a summer launch.... it would fit my needed timeframe better.

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Silverado, 14 JKUR
I agree, I was hoping that we would get more bits and pieces sooner than this time next year.

I know it's not realistic, but I am hoping for a full reveal in Spring for a summer launch.... it would fit my needed timeframe better.
I can keep my Silverado as long as I need to, and I suppose planning to trade it once the new Tacoma is available would get me past the 1st year of the new Colorado and Ranger models. The only spec I'm really waiting on is the back seat leg room. If that doesn't improve, I'm out.

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can keep my Silverado as long as I need to, and I suppose planning to trade it once the new Tacoma is available would get me past the 1st year of the new Colorado and Ranger models. The only spec I'm really waiting on is the back seat leg room. If that doesn't improve, I'm out.
I've got a 2014 Nissan Rogue I am looking to replace. It currently has 185K miles on it and doing good. It's been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, as I have only ever done routine maintenance on it. I was originally planning to replace around the 200K mile mark, but I suppose if everything is still doing good I could stretch it a bit more if I needed to. My guess is that around the end of next year I would be around 210K so as long as nothing major went out before then I would be ok.

My two majors for the Tacoma are going to be a hybrid with MPG focus and larger rear seat room like you mention. Currently the rear is a joke and I don't get why people buy it if they ever have people in the rear on a semi regular basis.

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
I've got a 2014 Nissan Rogue I am looking to replace. It currently has 185K miles on it and doing good. It's been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, as I have only ever done routine maintenance on it. I was originally planning to replace around the 200K mile mark, but I suppose if everything is still doing good I could stretch it a bit more if I needed to. My guess is that around the end of next year I would be around 210K so as long as nothing major went out before then I would be ok.

My two majors for the Tacoma are going to be a hybrid with MPG focus and larger rear seat room like you mention. Currently the rear is a joke and I don't get why people buy it if they ever have people in the rear on a semi regular basis.
The hybrid wont be MPG focused though, likely for power gains like the Tundra. They need to compete with the new high output Ranger Raptor and the ZR2. No doubt it will get a little better than the current gen, but not by much I can't imagine.

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The hybrid wont be MPG focused though, likely for power gains like the Tundra. They need to compete with the new high output Ranger Raptor and the ZR2. No doubt it will get a little better than the current gen, but not by much I can't imagine.
I guess I am hoping for a miracle at this point, the new one has a lot of things to overcome compared to the current one for me to be interested, and getting a Maverick Hybrid is next to impossible and don't see it improving next year sooooo.....may have to go Sienna or Highlander Hybrid instead of a truck afterall. Time will tell.....

jmodz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota Tacoma RC
That's GREAT news. "Midsize" pickups have gotten too long over the years and I was hoping since Toyota didn't make the new Tundra any bigger, it'd leave the Tacoma size alone too. (y)

I just looked up the specs and it shocking... the smallest 2022 Tacoma is about 34" longer than the longest 2000 Tacoma! 🤯 Which btw is the reason why Toyota should totally bring a small pickup to market. Ford can't produce those Mavericks fast enough to meet the red hot demand.
For clarification the smallest 3rd gen Tacoma is 212.3" vs the longest 2000 Tacoma is 202.9", a difference of only 9.4". Also, since the regular cab is no longer available the smallest 3rd gen and the longest 1st gen are actually the same truck, a double cab with the 5ft bed.
If you want largest difference it is between the 1st gen regular cab and the 3rd gen double cab with the 6'ft bed, that difference is 41.1".

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tundra
The back seat remains a no go for me with no changes. Although I am not a fan of the size of my 23 Tundra CC.

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The back seat remains a no go for me with no changes. Although I am not a fan of the size of my 23 Tundra CC.
Not sure if I totally understand what you mean. But I'm guessing you are saying you will not get the 2024 Tacoma if the rear seat does not improve in room?

The 2023 Tundra Crew Cab is to large or small for your taste?
Sponsored